“Charming, clean, comfortable and close to everything”

Place d'Armes Hotel
Ranked #33 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 25 June 2008

We stayed June 18-23 and had a wonderful time. I was concerned by previous reviews that the hotel was not clean but we found it to be very clean and the staff was more then accomodating.
We arrived around noon and was not able to check in until 3:15, but check in time is listed as 4:00 so you cant fault them for that. They checked our bags while we went and had lunch and did some explploring while we waited. The hotel is apparantly a very busy one because everytime I walked through the lobby there were people at the desk.
The staff was super friendly, and quick to answer or find the answer to any questions we had.
The room was dark, we had an interior room without a window and we choose that room because of the great price. (we booked online and paid less then $350 for 5 nights!) However, in retrospect I would have paid more for a room with a balcony/window just because it was very dark in the room- dark enough to make it hard to see if I was putting on brown or black shoes unless I went close to the lamp. The beds however, were very comfortable, extremely so for hotel standards,
We did have one "incident"- the light in our bathroom burnt out, I called the desk and asked for another light bulb- they brought it up within 2 min. When I put it in, it shorted our whole room, so I had to call maintance- they had to replace the light fixture but it was done before we got back from breakfast at Cafe du Monde. So, it was handled very well. Or room was cleaned well each day and smelled very good- not like room spray and not too strong, just clean and fresh.
The courtyard was stunning and we were literally steps from Jackson square. In fact we had a running joke, whenever my mom asked how far something was - I told her 3 blocks because nearly everything was within 3 blocks from our room. I would not stay anywhere else if we visit New Orleans again.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Elliotterae
There are newer reviews for Place d'Armes Hotel

Reviewed 21 June 2008

To be honest at first I was skeptical about being in the French Quarter, but after doing some wandering about I was well on my way to falling in love with this gem. Old world charm, romance and history abound in this lovely hidden oasis of comfort and creole warmth. Well placed to everything local and within walking distance of many different attractions and eateries. For those who can not get enough of the Cafe du Monde this is the next best thing to living there!

The staff is more than accommodating, friendly and professional. They make you feel as if this your home. Smiles a plenty, any information you may need, and more than eager to show off their wonderful city. I met the owner quite by chance and it seemed as if he was a neighbor of mine, going out of his way to tell us of local neighborhood happenings in the area and to explain some old ghost stories, telling us about a particular room that is rumored to be haunted. I didn't stay in this room, but I was more than intrigued by it. By all means I'm going to go back . My fiance and I loved it and now we are hooked by its charm and romance. Thanks for the best vacation I have had in a long long long time!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank AbitaBear
Reviewed 15 June 2008

I studied TripAdvisor reviews before selecting the Place D'Armes Hotel. There were lots of great reviews, but a few really dreadful ones, so I didn't really know what to expect.

I'm happy to say that my weekend at this hotel was a classic New Orleans stay. The Place D'Armes is a little "old" looking, but in a classic, New Orleans way. The courtyard is absolutely breathtaking, so you should book early enough to get a courtyard room. We didn't book early enough, so we didn't have that option. But I spent plenty of time relaxing in the courtyard, and it was sensational.

We were booked into a street side room, which was noisy one night and quieter the next, so that's a tossup. Our room was large and well appointed, considering that it is an old hotel. It's not a brand new freshly decorated Best Western, but, if that's what you want, you shouldn't book any hotel in the French Quarter.

The location is magnificent. You will not find any hotel more centrally located in the Quarter. Considering how close you are to everything, the price was surprisingly reasonable.

Now, I'd like to address two areas that caused others to leave negative reviews: cleanliness and helpfulness.

I found my room to be very clean, and cleanliness is a huge issue for me. We had no trouble with the maid service or towels or anything like that. The common areas are clean and my room was clean. I'm not sure what else to say besides that.

I found the staff to be helpful. From visiting with the happy fellow maintaining the cleanliness of the courtyard, to the desk clerk calling a taxi for us on Sunday morning. People were professional and helpful. I was particularly impressed with the gentleman in charge of the parking garage. He was friendly and accommodating.

If you realize going in that this property is historic (old), then you will not be disappointed. If you want a more common stay, choose a chain hotel outside of the Quarter.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank Buz M
Reviewed 10 June 2008

Less than a block from Jackson Square and only a little further to Cafe du Monde and the Moon Walk and other attractions means the location and charm makes this a great place to stay. If you want local charm, old buildings with balcony and period furniture, rather than American bland, you will like this place. Breakfast is light, good coffee, orange juice, selection of furit flavored pasties, and rather tough croissants but can be eatern inside in dining area or sunroom, or outside in lovely courtyard. Just as well to have light hotel breakfast and eat more later in the wonderful restaurants in the Quarter. Staff was friendly and helpful. Have had inside room with no windows and much nicer room on outside with balcony. Parking by the hotel can cost extra if not in reservation that includes it.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank MsRed
Reviewed 9 June 2008

This was the third time we have stayed at the Place d'Armes. It will be the last. Yes it has a great location and the pool courtyard is very picturesque. That still does not make up for a dirty hotel.
At the end of the second day, our room was not serviced by housekeeping. My wife found us fresh towels on a cart at the pool area. Hotel staff later delivered us clean wash cloths and did not offer to clean and straighten the room. They claimed we put out the "Do Not Disturb" sign. We did put out the sign but it read "Maid Service, Please".
On the morning of our third day, I found fingernail clippings in the bed I had been sleeping in. We stripped the beds of the linens and searched the rest of the room for filth. I found a pair of men's underwear on top of the television armoir! We immediately went to the front desk and talked a manager. She apologized, comped my parking fees for our entire stay, and promised that the room would be cleaned before we return. We did return a little over five hours later. When we got to our room, there was a "Do Not Disturb" sign hanging on the doorknob. This surprised us because we did not put it there. We opened the door and our room was exactly like we had left it. Housekeeping had not touched our room at all! I went back the the front desk and I spoke with the same manager again. She used the excuse that since the sign was hanging on the door, housekeeping could not touch the room. This just enfuriated me more, especially since she saw my family and me go into the parking garage to leave for the day. She knew that we would return mid-afternoon and they still did nothing with the room. The manager told me to go back to the room to meet with the new housekeeping supervisor. When she did get to the room I showed her what we were so upset about. She did give us her apoligies that followed that with excuses: 1. She is new to the job. 2. It takes time to train the staff. 3. She had to come from another building (read hotel). 4. Housekeeping staff was following the "Do Not Disturb" sign request.
My wife and I talked this over and we decided to cut our vacataion short so we checked out and left. We are lucky enough to have relatives just 2 hours away.
Later that night I did get to speak with Mr. Volentine, the general manager. He offered his apologies and admitted that "The ball was dropped not once but twice in the mishandling of this whole situation". He offered other incentives to get us to try Place d'Armes again. Even with the offer of gas reimbursement we are never going back to that hotel. I have worked in the people service industry for more than 28 years. I feel that qualifies me to say that I did not detect an ounce of sincerity in any of the apologies, much less the excuses, that we received.
Please, protect yourself and your family. Go as far back in the reviews as January 1, 2008. There are other complaints. I believe just like some other reviewers, that hotel staff or other administrators must be the ones giving this place such a favorable review score. I read those same reviews. The first two times we stayed there without incident . We tried them for a third time and are shocked that this is what happened to us.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Jrfox
Reviewed 9 June 2008

The charming Place D'Armes setting is what one seeks in New Orleans. Conveniently located on a quiet side street , it's an easy walk to anywhere in the French Quarter, including the famous bignet and coffee spot to major restaurants, the Riverwalk, antique stores, and, of course Burbon Street. The courtyard is simply lovely, the pool is clean and well-maintained, and the rooms are individual in style rather than step-and-repeat hotel fashion.

What made our stay special was the outstanding personal attention and warmth of the staff. I had just completed a business trip to a Ritz location and had a fresh comparison. While the Ritz service is legendary, this location had shabby and dirty carpet as well as A/C issues. While staff said "sorry" with great warmth, they did nothing to rectify or change my situation.

Upon arriving at Place D'Armes, my husband and I had an "inconvenience". Not only was it immediately addressed by a lovely Linda Cooper, the Executive Housekeeper, but the vigilant and consistently attentive Lyn Castenada, Front Desk Supervisor, told Warren Valentino, the General Manager who asked to speak with me personally. I was stunned!

My husband and I had some suggestions. They were implemented WHILE WE WERE VISITING! Mr. Valentino checked in with us several times during our four day stay.

But this hotel went above and beyond. I was part of a meeting group. When they learned that many of us were there for the same purpose, they accommodated us as individuals and as a group in many small and thoughtful ways. Linda Cooper went out of her way on more than one occasion to help (even hunting down a pair of scissors!). Equally important, every time we crossed paths in the courtyard, she greeted me with a nod of recognition and a smile.

The morning croissants and pastry breakfast was enhanced by the simply delicious coffee of Miss Mary (Kelly). That coffee was every bit as good as in Cafe DuMonde, and I enjoyed several cups each morning.

Here's the criteria for evaluating a hotel: Would I stay there again? Absolutely.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank ednol1942
Reviewed 5 June 2008

Place d'Armes Hotel is an absolutely WONDERFUL charming hotel. We stayed for 6 days this time and thoroughly enjoyed the courtyard and pool area. This rustic hotel is beautifully maintained and the ENTIRE staff are very friendly and fun. We visit New Orleans every year and have stayed at Place d'Armes many times. It is now our permanent vacation destination. The hotel is reasonably priced and you meet people of all ages. So don't worry if you're too young or too old. You will just LOVE the courtyard. It's quiet, centrally located right near Jackson Square in the French Quarter so you're close to lots of shops, restaurants, casino, EVERYTHING! It's just a perfect, wonderful, cozy atmosphere. I recommend this hotel to everyone. We had a great time & I can't wait until it's time to go back next year.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family