“Stunning Courtyard”

Place d'Armes Hotel
Ranked #33 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 7 October 2013

No pictures online did this place justice. You walked into the courtyard and you were in taken to a lush oasis away from the hustle and bustle. The hotel has an "antique" feel.. and is in no way modern or hip. I felt like I was staying in a guest room in grandma's old house, but with privacy and a surprisingly very comfortable (and quiet) bed. As humid and warm as it was outside, it was such a pleasant surprise when we walked into an ICE COLD room, without any musty or old smells. Saturday morning we were woken up by the church bells (but we're early bird/light sleepers) and just took a few steps down to Cafe Du Monde for breakfast. The convenience of the hotel was amazing for breakfast at Cafe Du Monde, an afternoon stroll down Royal, or a night out on Bourbon Street (but then a quiet night's rest when you are ready to be done partying). We even grabbed To-Go drinks and sat and enjoyed a beverage in the courtyard. At night it is lit up beautifully, and during the day it is lush and peaceful. Amazing. Will be back!!!

Room Tip: I would recommend a room with a balcony or window. Rooms with street facing windows can hear church...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 October 2013

Love this hotel! It used to be our "go to" in New Orleans, but unfortunately this hidden gem has apparently been discovered - there were no rooms available for our last two trips. :( Perfect location for enjoying the French Quarter - quiet street, but still close to all the action. Rooms are very comfortable - we've stayed in both courtyard rooms and balcony rooms. And the property has such an interesting history! My favorite memory of Place d'Armes is being on a ghost tour, stopping in front of the hotel, and hearing a tale of hauntings - in the room where we were staying!!! No supernatural experiences for us, though. Will definitely keep trying to return to this awesome hotel.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms and courtyard rooms are both wonderful. Interior rooms are a little strange, but defin...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I stayed at the Place d'Armes Hotel July 4-7. The hotel in right in the French Quarter , close to Jackson Square. This is a perfect hotel if you want to be in the French Quarter but not in the middle of all the noise and action. The hotel is a five minute walk from Cafe Du Monde, so you can get up in the morning and get your coffee and beignets!

The hotel is quaint and will appeal to you if you like places that have a historical vibe (I think it was built in the 1800's). The room was spacious and and clean. The service in the hotel was very nice. Everyone was always helpful and went out of their way to assist you. Supposedly this hotel is/was haunted. I didn't see or hear anything and I slept like a baby. I also don't believe in ghosts. The air-conditiong was comfortable and the room was cleaned every day. The room could use some updating new beds? (I thought the mattress was a little lumpy). Perhaps some new drapes for the windows. I was sharing the room with another woman and our room was on the ground floor and the windows faced the street. We had to use paperclips bobby pins or whatever we could find to make sure the drapes were shut completely so that we could feel comfortable changing our clothes in the room. The room also doesn't get a lot of natural light , so it always seemed a little dark , even in the day time

There is a pool in the center courtyard of the hotel. The pool is very small, mainly to take a dip and cool off. I wouldn't try to swim laps - I did not use the pool

There is a complimentary continental breakfast - muffins, rolls, coffee, tea, apples oranges.

This is a decent hotel for a reasonable price in the French Quarter. Just keep in mind that this is a small independent hotel and you cannot compare it to a large chain like a Hyatt or Hilton If you want room service, a hotel lobby with a bar and restaurants you will not find this here. I dont think there is a fitness center either I happened to be in NOLA for the Essence Music Festival which was at the Superdome, so we were a little far away. However it was fairly easy to get a cab.

I would consider staying in this hotel again if I get back to New Orleans.

Room Tip: There are rooms on the higher floors that do not have windows.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I just made my reservations from the hotel directly and Clarence was so wonderfully helpful! I cannot wait to get there! He assured me that they will have a map of the Quarter and any directions to any sight we want to visit. Unfortunately there is no balcony room available at our visit time, but the price is far better than the trip advisor sites.

Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I came there to find some paranormal activity for research for my next book. Nothing in my courtyard room but plenty of orbs around. I kept asking the front desk but nobody gave me any information until I was ready to leave. There was a sheet of paper they had all along . The bell hop was tipped for information but...nothing. One of the other guest showed me some pics she had of spirit hands in her room. Wish I could have had a room like that and I had asked.She told me one of the guys working there had told her ghost stories. This hotel is on the ghost tour. Otherwise my room was clean and comfortable enough. The pool always had people in it. I thought it would be more romantic as I originally wanted to go with my bf. Price is okay but there are better. It includes a continental breakfast which wasn't the greatest for me as I have a gluten allergy. Maybe they should provide yogurt?

Room Tip: The courtyard room is not what I really wanted. Get one with a balcony if you go!
Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We stayed in a King Suite for a week during our honeymoon. We were in room 111 and it was perfect. We were welcomed by Robert who took our bags to our room. They had champagne waiting for us! The room and courtyards were clean and well maintained. Staff were friendly and super helpful with dining tips and suggestions of things to do. Can't wait to go back!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Laurie C
Reviewed 1 October 2013

This is a great hotel in an excellent location, the staff where so helpful. We had a balcony room, the room was very clean and spacious, definitely recommend this hotel. The hotel is within walking distance of bourbon street, the French markets and the near by river.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple