“In the heart of the French Quarter”

Place d'Armes Hotel
Ranked #33 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 8 May 2014

All hotels promise this, the Place D'Armes actually delivers. Steps away from Jackson Square, this inviting hotel offers great rooms, an inviting courtyard and paid parking. Continental breakfast was included, but with the Cafe du Monde a block away it seemed an afterthought. White tablecloth Muriel's Restaurant is adjacent, as is Stanley, a medium priced choice for breakfast and lunch.

Room Tip: You can choose between a street facing balcony room, a quiet courtyard facing room or interior room...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank PetePope1
There are newer reviews for Place d'Armes Hotel

Reviewed 5 May 2014

The hotel itself is lovely. The courtyard was peaceful and serene. Now to the manager. When we arrived, the bellhop jerked my suitcase up by the rolling handle instead of the actual handle. The handle and several broken pieces went flying. Obviously she didn't mean for it to happen. I filled out the incident report and we went about our day. The next day we asked to see the manager to get an idea of what the procedure was when things like this happen. This is what he said to me, "Did she swing your suitcase above her head and go round and round with it? No? Then it's not my problem!" I was so stunned I just stood there with my mouth open. Obviously by that remark we knew he wasn't going to help us so we asked to speak to someone else. He said he owned the place and there was no one else to talk to. I turned to the bellhop and asked her if she was just going to sit there or was she going to speak up and tell him what happened. She looked up ay me said, "Well, he's the boss." That's it. Nothing else. The whole thing was so bizarre. Anyway, we had an amazing trip and I would definitely go back to Jazz Fest, just stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
13  Thank mullju1216
mcharlesnola, Owner at Place d'Armes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Hotel responded appropriately to this matter. Luggage piece was well worn and fragile - the damage was not caused by abuse or careless staff. Manager's inquiry was attempt to determine if the guest perceived careless handling - hotel disputes the guest rendition of what was said and how that scenario actually occurred. Regardless, sorry for the luggage damage and the guest experience surrounding that damage.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Wonderful stay in authentic NOLA hotel. Great Location, Staff very friendly. Parking was $28 a night, and it also has hourly parking if you need to leave there later than the 1300 check out. Breakfast was just ok, but due to the wonderful eatery's right around the hotel it was not a big deal. The hotel had everything we wanted.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank TJNAVY
Reviewed 28 April 2014

My first real vacation in NOLA - been there once to look at college and again overnight for a work function - so this was my first chance to enjoy the city and did so with my girlfriend (her first first time in NOLA). We chose this hotel because she wanted something int he french quarter that went with the environment and architecture of the quarter, and this was one of the more reasonably priced hotels.

Start with the bad - first, I think they thought they were giving us a good room, but I'm not so sure they thought about it. The room was on the second floor by the elevator, and these buildings are built of paper mache, so you heard everything in the hall. Second, there weren't windows. There were two window like apertures at the floor and reaching maybe a foot or so off the baseboard. Therefore, almost no light got into the room. Finally, the hot water would keep going out every now and then - it would come right back, but it's quite a shock when you're taking a hot shower.

The good - it's in a great location. A block or two off of bourbon, not even a block from St. Patrick's square, a block and a half from Cafe Du Monde and only a couple blocks from the French Market. The furthest anything was in the quarter was .4 to 1/2 mile. It was also very comfortable. Bed was huge and soft, pillows were comfortable. It was hard to sleep because you could hear a pin drop outside - really, no insulation or sound proofing what-so-ever. A/C worked well, but it was also pretty chilly for a couple of days, so we couldn't really use the hum from the A/C to drown out the noise. Also, the people - very friendly staff. Very helpful. A bit slow, but its NOLA, so what can you expect.

This is a good place if you want a hotel in the quarter but not right on the hustle of bourbon street. That said, do yourself a favor and try to get a courtyard room or something off the street, and as high up as possible. I know sound travels, but you really want to be away from the street and as far from the elevator as possible.

I don't know if I would stay here again. If I was staying in the quarter on the same budget, then yes, I would, but if I had more money to spend, I would probably go with one of the fancier places in hopes of having better sound proofing, or I would stay in the central business district - downtown. It's literally across Canal street from the french quarter and there are plenty of high rise hotels right on Canal street. Granted, you don't get the old world feel like you do at Place D'armes when you stay at a Marriott or Sheraton, so if you want to do the French Quarter right, you would stay here. If you're willing to sacrifice authenticity for a good night's sleep, then you should stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Stay away from the street, and high up. Recommend a courtyard room, away from the elevators, top fl...
3  Thank tbow77
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I have been putting this off because I wanted to write a detailed review - so sorry its a couple months late.

The Rooms
We stayed in the best balcony room situated right on St. Anne's. We could see the corner of the square from it. The weather was bad, so we didn't really get to enjoy it until a few hours the last day, but it was everything you'd hoped it be. The bad is that every early morning the service traffic from the street is so loud with the windows and doors shut. So it was great to stay in this room once, but we would choose a courtyard room next time. There are plenty of "public" balconies for guest to use that still show Jackson Square.

It snowed in Delaware and our flight home was cancelled, so we stayed an extra day. We stayed in an inside room in the back of the courtyard. Ah, the nice sleep because it was pitch black and quiet with no windows. And you might think that would be an issue, particularly since my husband is claustraphobic, but since the ceilings were like 20 feet high, and it had a non-working fireplace, it did not feel bad at all. The bathroom was actually better than the King suite we had. The double beds weren't as nice as our king had been, but last night, last minute, no worries.

We had three key incidents that let me tell you what excellent people and service they offer.
#1 I had booked my hotel about 8 months in advance. In checking hotel prices, a new packaged had a lower price than my booked price, and when I called, they lowered my room to meet it. DO NOT BOOK WITH HOTEL.COM or any other site. They make you pay full price up front, and you would not be able to do this. Book with the hotel and they don't charge you until one day before youre stay.

#2 Bourbon Street had a full blackout - yes, incredible to be there to see. But of course we got back to the hotel and it was dark. We had not checked in to our rooms yet, only dropped our luggage off, so we had no room number, or electronic key. The desk manager still let us get our luggage and go to our room. He had the bell hop walk us with the light from his phone up the steps and let us in. Or maybe it was just to get my husband's late night humor out of the main lobby. :) Excellent work on their part either way!

#3 We had our flight cancelled and luckily they had one room left that was ready for us to move in. I had checked prices online and found the AAA (by the way if you don't have this, then get it. It will save about $25 a night and pay for itself) price. When she checked the desk, she didn't see what I saw at first, but finally checked the AAA price and gave us the discount.

The Location
Perfect. Nothing more needs to be said. It is literally right next to St. Louis cathedral. You see it's wall from your balcony. We liked to get a peditaxi to one end of Bourbon, then simply walk towards home all day/night.

We would most definately stay here again on our next visit. It really was the best value as far as price, location, and accomodations.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank BrendaJean316
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Spent 9 days surrounding the French Quarter Festival,for the fifth year in a row we requested and stayed in a 3rd floor interior room,always quiet,clean and out of the way. We spend every morning in the lovely courtyard with a daily newspaper and coffee and pastries,very relaxing. Hotel staff very friendly and helpful,location is the best in the Quarter,so easy to return to your hotel at any time. Will soon be booking our room for 2015 FQF. This place is the ultimate in charm in the French Quarter and just far enough away from the noise on Bourbon St. Nine day stay makes price very reasonable.

2  Thank Robert C
Reviewed 26 April 2014

we stayed in this hotel only for 1 night, our last night in NOLA. we really loved it. The building is modern with wifi etc.. but has managed to keep all its classic charm. Our room was small and had no windows but it was very cozy and clean. The staff was nice, valet parking was a bit pricey. The location does not get any better than this, right in the middle of the french quarter, walking distance to Bourbon street and lots of attractions but not so close that is isn't loud or obnoxious when your relaxing or trying to sleep. The other great thing about this hotel is the court yard. Tons of plants, a pool and table to sit at, we really enjoyed sitting there for a drink, beautiful to look at and a great atmosphere. We would definitely stay here again.

1  Thank nikol86