“Great Location Saves It”

Place d'Armes Hotel
Ranked #34 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
State College, Pennsylvania, United States
“Great Location Saves It”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We have stayed at this hotel several times. This particular experience was not stellar. The room was a king bed with a view over St. Ann street. Since we were on the 5th floor, noise was not an issue. The room itself was fine, but nothing was ever replaced -- not toiletries or the coffee packets. After our first morning, we left a washcloth on the floor of the shower; it was still there the next morning, so the shower had not been cleaned. There was no water pressure in the shower -- it was the worst we experienced in quite awhile. The location of the hotel is fabulous -- right on Jackson Square, around the corner from Royal Street, and down the road from the Cafe Du Monde. We have had better experiences at this hotel and would still likely return. But maybe not after checking some other places first.

4 Thank Kathy M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (646)
Prosper, Tx
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Something has to be really incredible for me to rate it a five star and this hotel is not luxurious, new, or fancy, but....here are the reasons I loved it and I am glad I stayed here:
1. Location....it is right on the corner by the cathedral on Jackson Square....I have stayed on Bourbon Street before but this location of the Place d'Armes was truly better and more centrally located.
2. Quaintness and Charm...yes, it is older, but I wanted a true New Orleans feel and this place has it. The courtyard area is something out of a magazine and it is beautiful...musty smell, dank but oh, so real....not contrived....just natural. Our room was not a regular square-shaped room, although the bathroom facilities were nice and updated....there was the old brick on one of our walls.....bed was very comfortable and all was CLEAN!
3. Breakfast in the mornings is included and the same each day, but it was well-maintained and neat in the little tiny room where we gathered. Again, the word quaint comes to mind...the croissants were delicious and all was plentiful.
4. Pro/Con about parking....yes, it's expensive and they have to take your car up in an elevator to park upstairs so call ahead....but the boys were sweet and efficient....it's NOLA and the French Quarter, it's tight.

All these reasons and more are why I enjoyed this place very much. I could have stayed in a chain hotel and been a tad more luxuriated, if that's a word, but would I have gotten the true feel for staying in an old building in the French Quarter? No, I truly feel like I was in an historic building....I would go back.

Room Tip: A balcony would be nice, even though we we kinda had one, it wasn't private. Maybe pay more and...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank LLPProsper_Tx
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We stayed at Place d'Armes for our anniversary trip mid July 2014. While it is an older property, we really enjoyed our stay. Place d'Armes was perfect for us due to two main aspects 1) location 2) price.

We booked one of their least expensive rooms and it was an interior room on the 2nd floor. While we had no windows, it was actually pretty nice because it was quiet and obviously dark at night so we slept really well. And that's all we really used the hotel for was sleeping and getting ready so it did the job. It had great AC and was always clean.

As for the location, that was the best part. We left the front door and Jackson Square, Cafe Du Monde, etc. were immediately visible and just a few steps away. It was also our desire to stay somewhere semi close to Bourbon street but not on it. This fit the bill perfectly.

I don't often take the time to review businesses, but wanted to in this case due to our experience on our last day with this hotel. After checking out, I went to the computer to check on our flight only to learn it had been cancelled! I received no text, email, call, etc. alert from American and had to spend the next few hours figuring out why in the world our flight was cancelled. Long story short, we ended up having to stay an extra night and fly out the next evening. I didn't complain to the hotel front desk or anything; just simply asked if our room could be available for another night. The receptionist said that our room was actually booked, but she would put us in another one for the same rate we were paying. Although she did offer us a courtroom facing bedroom, but we opted to not get it because it was more expensive.

Well, when we came back a few hours later to check into our new room, we found out that she went ahead and put us in the courtyard room--and honored the price we were paying for an interior room!! After such a long, stressful day of trying to figure our a new flight and way home, it was such a lovely surprise. It was a really nice room too!

Overall, great trip and we had a wonderful experience with the front desk and management. We would definitely stay there again on a future trip.

3 Thank Brittany H
North Texas
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

We planned an impromptu vacation to New Orleans last week. I immediately logged onto TripAdvisor to see what was available. To my surprise, I was able to get 3 nights at Place d'Armes at $80 per night. Two years ago, we had gotten a suite there and enjoyed it tremendously, but this time we were only able to get an inside room with a queen bed. We didn't mind because we didn't plan on spending much time there.

As always, the staff was courteous and efficient. We got there 4 hours before check in, so we dropped off our car and luggage and they called us when the room was ready. The room was small but clean. Not much water pressure in the shower, but it was serviceable and the water was hot. There was an odd air conditioning noise that woke us up during the night, but we were able to jiggle the switch until it stopped. It didn't bother us enough to report it. The only negative thing I could say about our stay this time was that the walls are pretty thin. We were able to hear everyone walking above us, outside our door, and everywhere else, it seemed. We found ourselves whispering to each other in the room to keep the people in the hall from hearing us.

The hotel is right off Jackson Square, right in the French Quarter. One block from Cafe du Monde and one block from Bourbon Street. It's also close to the trolley, which we used daily. It's within walking distance to almost everything and the rest is just a trolley ride away.

In closing, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and plan to come back next time we're in town.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank LaneM
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We had a junior suite for two nights that had refrigerator microwave and coffee maker In a separate living area with couch, sink, table chair, TV and located near the pool and view of a beautiful courtyard. The continental breakfast of danish, muffins, croissants juice, and coffee were fresh and good. The location is perfect near JacksonSquare and still quiet to stay there. The new bedding they have in all the rooms was so good we ended up sleeping really late both mornings.

2 Thank cajunyank
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Place d'Armes was the original name for Jackson Square and this place is aptly named as it is only steps from Jackson Square. The location here is perfect if you are looking to stay in the French Quarter. The French Quarter is an excellent place for wondering around at any hour and this hotel is centrally located. It is less than 2 blocks from the Cafe du Monde, less than 2 blocks from Bourbon Street, less than 2 blocks from Saint Louis Cathedral, etc.

The building is old so the rooms are smaller than a new suburban motel. Some of them have balconies. Some have no windows. The hotel has parking. Parking anywhere in the French Quarter is a problem and expensive. You really don't need a car in the French Quarter.

The rate includes a continental breakfast and coffee with chicory. The wi fi is slow and does not allow you to use Netflix. I am not sure if this is common in hotels, but it is the first time I encountered it. The rooms were clean and the staff was courteous.

I know New Orleans well. I love the French Quarter. I have been staying at Place d'Armes intermittently for more than 20 years. I highly recommend it if your visit to New Orleans will be centered around the French Quarter.

Room Tip: This hotel has rooms with no windows. I always book these when available. It is quirky and, I think...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank AdgeeCross
USA
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel June 23rd for 1 night. I chose this hotel because it offered parking and because it was right in the French Quarter. Thought it might be hard to find a spot on the street. I was right!i. The hotel was a block from Jackson Square and within walking distance of everything in the French Quarter. I was very pleased with the hotel. It was charming. Our room was towards the back of the property past the pool. The room was very large with a wet bar. The toilet and shower were in a separate room from the sink. There was a safe in the closet. The room was clean and very well stocked. The hotel offers a free breakfast. My husband went to get our breakfast so I really can't say much about the breakfast offered. The first night we were at the hotel we took the Haunted History tour and boy was I surprised that the first stop on the tour was the Place d'Armes Hotel! We never saw or heard anything scary. It was a pleasant stay and I most definitely would stay at this property again. Ps... There is a charge for parking but well worth it if you stay in the French Quarter! If you get the chance go and visit the Oak Alley Plantation. It's gorgeous! Skip the expensive mint julep. It's gross unless you like alcohol with mint. Lol. Have fun!

Room Tip: Our room number was 127. It's at the back of the property in a quaint courtyard. Very quiet. No...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family