“Had a really great experience”

Place d'Armes Hotel
Ranked #27 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I'm not sure about the people who complained about lack of hot water. The bldg is OLD, just like everything else in the area and the hot water took a minute to come on, but it did come on.

I paid for a cheap interior room, got upgraded (for free) to a gorgeous room with a balcony overlooking St. Ann. I think they are actively upgrading stuff because the outlets in my room were brand new. The AC worked well - I had to turn it down because it was too cold.

The front desk staff (both at night and the next morning) actually knew my name and remembered it. They parked my car, took my bag. Very friendly, and full of useful information.

One thing everyone needs to remember when staying in a historic bldg is that things wear out. Also, the incredibly high humidity in NO wears things out (especially the wallpaper and fabrics) and will eventually make things slightly musty no matter what you do. I have experienced the same phenomena in the DR, Jamaica, Florida, and a half dozen other vacation destinations that have high humidity. Get over it. If you want brand new stuff, pay double and stay somewhere outside the French Quarter.

The location couldn't be better - a half block from Jackson Square. Although, I should add that it is obviously in a gay friendly area, based on all the rainbow flags. If that is a problem for you, you might want to stay elsewhere. And actually, NO might not be the best place for you anyway.

At any rate, it was a good price for the location, and I will DEFINITELY be back. It was incredibly charming. The courtyard is beautiful, and they have a pool. The magnolia tree there is about 100 years old and magnificent.

While you're down there, find a place with redfish. DELICIOUS. The Royal House was great, if not a touch pricey.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (2,419)

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Absolutely loved this hotel! I recommend asking for a room with a balcony (entry to the balcony is through a gigantic window-kind of heavy) with a view of Jackson Square. Yes, it's old and boutiquey, but if you go in expecting this you will enjoy your stay. The courtyard was absolutely stunning with small wrought iron patio bistro sets scattered here and there to enjoy your morning paper and coffee in solitude. You do have to pay a fee for nightly parking but it was worth it knowing my vehicle was tucked safely away the whole time during our stay. Everything was close by. Cafe du Monde is a short 1 block away walk. Jackson Square is literally steps away from the entrance of the hotel. The St Louis Cathedral has mass daily at 7:30 am for those who are Catholic and don't want to miss and this is also literally steps away. Bourbon St was only a few blocks away. This was my first time in New Orleans and I had a blast! If I could get the same room I would definitely stay here again! :)

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room with a view of Jackson Square
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Great hotel. Perfect Location. In the middle of everything, but you do not feel like you are in the middle of everything. Lovely courtyard(s).

The hotel has a ton of upsides, there are only 2 issues we encountered one was a front desk worker and the other was upkeep of the rooms. She had a serious attitude problem and was never pleasant (She works mid-afternoons). We booked a deluxe room (supposed to have windows) and our room had no windows. Went down to confirm we received the correct rooms and were told it was in fact a deluxe room the windows were in the door (with an eye-roll). I guess this is correct since there was a sliding drape to cover the door lmao. That to me was almost comical. Our room could use some TLC. I understand that this is an older hotel, but under the curio was white from not having been vacuumed in god knows how long, wall paper was peeling and black mold was forming in the shower from lack of ventilation (and probably humidity). This is nothing a good bleaching/painting and vacuuming couldn't fix. Everyone else there was AMAZING.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sarah J
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I recently visited New Orleans for the second time and stayed for this solo visit at the Place d'Armes on the recommendation of family members. I stayed in two different rooms due to a trip change. My first room was a deluxe king on the second floor that overlooked the pool and my second room was an interior room. Both rooms were clean, but dated and some of the carpet and wallpaper were quite worn. The deluxe room was huge and the bed was comfortable. I agree with many of the other reviews about the breakfast; it was very sparse, but New Orleans has no shortage of great breakfast food, so I just went out for breakfast. The staff was friendly, but not overly so. The best feature of the hotel I think is the location. I will definitely stay there again.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Janine D
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Over the twenty five years we have been visiting New Orleans...we only stay at the Place d' Armes Hotel...one Hotel and one name only during those many years we consider to be the STAR of the Hotel.
Dionne's charm, stature and true understanding of the Guests will make your stay the BEST ever when she greets you at the front desk. Not just at check in but throughout your stay Dionne will help you with tours etc. to help make your stay in New Orleans awesome and memorable.
We consider the French Quarter to be the first Real Theme Park and with that said after a nice free continental breakfast and walk through the Hotel Courtyards...it's time to step back in time and venture out onto the historic streets of this one of a kind city.
The sites and sounds and fragrances of the city...from many types of food to coffee delights with chocolates and all that wonderful music as you pass by and wonder and walk through the many quaint shoppes... in the Paris of America... New Orleans French Quarter.
Back to the Hotel for a swim and a margarita at sunset and ready to dine and dance the night away on dear old Bourbon Street... had a wonderful day of shopping....had a riverboat cruise and swamp tour and we stayed within our budget.
Again, thanks to Dionne and her help and the entire staff of Hotel Place d' Armes.... as always we added more Awesome Memories to our latest trip to this fabulous Southern City of New Orleans.
Love to Dionne and the entire Staff...
R&J

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Stanley M
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Hallways smelled mildews, air conditioning did not work correctly and was so loud that it kept us awake. Room was slightly shabby and not in a chic way. Coffee pot was missing a piece. Not only was their no hot water, but the knob for the hot water had been disabled so you couldn't even try to get hot water. More than $200.00 a night and I had to take a cold shower.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Travelingartist2014
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This is my second stay in this hotel. Overall, its a good one, great location, etc. The courtyard is very nice and they were repairing the wood steps and other things while I was there. They do need to put some attention into their rooms. Just like my last stay, the electric wall plugs are worn out, so my camera charger wouldnt stay on the wall plug - I had to tape it on the plug.My towel bar was barely hanging on the wall. We had a 2 queen bed room - it was very nice. As for the breakfast, its very bare bones , only danish and some fruit. For the cost, they should at least add some cold cereals.

Room Tip: ask ahead of time if your room has windows. many do not and if thats an issue, you need to know.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family