“A beautiful hotel, inside and out.”

Place d'Armes Hotel
Ranked #32 of 164 Hotels in New Orleans
Texas
“A beautiful hotel, inside and out.”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Place d'Armes Hotel for two days on our way to Florida and then an additional day upon our return home. This was our first trip to New Orleans and we wanted an authentic experience, something unique in the French Quarter. After extensive Tripadvisor reseach I felt fairly confident in my expectations of Place d'Armes, or what other reviewers perceived to be positive and negative qualities of the hotel. We chose an interior room for the first two days of our stay and splurged for a room with a terrace overlooking St. Ann Street the last day of our stay. Place d'Armes far exceeded our expectations and greatly enhanced our overall French Quarter experience.

The interior room was small and without windows as described on the website, but quite lovely and beautifully decorated. I felt like I was staying in the bedroom of a very old house. The king sized bed was comfortable, the air conditioner worked very well and the water pressure in the shower was more than adequate. We heard minimal noise outside of our room, particularly with the white noise from the air conditioner. This room was the perfect place to retreat after a full and exhausting day of exploring the city. We slept soundly and restoratively.

The room with the terrace overlooking St. Ann's Street had more of a luxurious feel. Sitting on the private terrace, we heard jazz drifting over from Jackson Square and engaged in people-watching while enjoying coffee and beignets from Cafe du Monde, which is just up the street. The only disadvantage of this room is a higher noise level as a result of facing the street, in particular, the garbage truck at 5:00 a.m. Again, the white noise from the air conditioner helped muffle a good deal of the noise.

It is important to remember that this is an old hotel. The drapes, carpeting and wallpaper, etc. appear somewhat aged, and you may have to run the water for a few minutes to get the hot water flowing. This is part of the charm. Previous reviews have noted a dank, musty or moldy smell. This was not our experience; however, when taking into consideration the heat and humidity of the New Orleans climate I believe I would have forgiven a slight musty smell.

In summary, this is a beautiful hotel, inside and out, comprised of several restored 18th and 19th century buildings surrounding a lush courtyard full of greenery, flowers, Magnolia trees, and including a salt-water swimming pool perfect for cooling off in the steamy heat. Most of the other patrons appeared to be of middle-age or older, resulting in a quiet and relaxed atmosphere. Stepping into the courtyard feels like stepping into a serene paradise, far removed from the hustle, bustle and (sometimes) overstimulation of the French Quarter, allowing one to enjoy the best of two worlds!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DeLois H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (647)
Reviewed 25 August 2014

My family was down in New Orleans last week for my dad's 75th birthday and we decided to try out the Place d'Armes. We had two rooms for the five of us. My parents were in room 502 which smelled a little musty to me but my parents said the room was fine for them. However, my parents did complain about the washroom being tight and having to turn sideways to get in and out of the shower. Also, the two windows in their room did not open. When my parents inquired about getting a different room and one preferably on the same floor as my room, they were told no rooms would be free until a few days into our stay so my parents decided to stay put.
I stayed in room 301 with my two siblings and our room was far superior to my parents with a balcony overlooking the front entrance of the hotel on St. Ann. The street noise especially in the early morning was loud so am I ever glad I had packed ear plugs . But I would without hesitation stay in this room again. We really loved the balcony.
The morning continental breakfast was pretty good for what it was; consisted of coffee, orange juice, croissants, three types of danishes, bananas, apples, and oranges. The pool was also nice but was in need of getting skimmed. I asked a few times for a pool skimmer and they attended to it promptly so it was no big deal.
Overall, we had a great stay and really enjoyed the convenient and excellent location of this hotel.

Room Tip: Room 301 had two double beds and a nice balcony overlooking hotel entrance on St. Ann. Room 502 had...
Missouri
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We had stayed at this hotel a few years ago, and chose it again. No disappointments. Our bed was the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept in. We had an interior room (no windows) which doesn't bother me. I don't go to N.O. to gaze out of a window. Staff were all friendly and helpful. One of the few hotels in the Fr Qrt to offer free breakfast, which makes it an even better bargain. No noise from hallway or adjoining rooms.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This hotel was recommended to us by frequent visitors to New Orleans. Our family was amazed at not only the location but the old world charm with all the modern conveniences. It is right in the heart of New Orleans and walking distance to many great restaurants, shops, and attractions. We had a room facing out on Chartres Street and were not disturbed by the night life walking by. The staff are so friendly and helpful....really a pleasant change from a big chain hotel. The pool is set in the beautiful courtyard and there are many tables to relax and chat or read...the setting really takes one back in time. I would highly recommend this place for its charm and location!

Floral Park, New York
Reviewed 19 August 2014

The Place d'Armes is a beautiful hotels. The patio in the back is two levels. There is a saltwater pool and a koi pond. Very relaxing place to sit and relax with friends. It was 1 1/2 blocks from Bourbon Street and about 100 feet from Jackson Square. The staff at the hotel was very friendly and helpful. Rooms were beautiful. The only down side was that the wifi in the rooms was spotty, but downstairs it worked better. Would definitely stay here again.

Texas
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Back again to our home away from home in New Orleans. If you want the best location, the best service, and the best in shopping, this is it. No question...this is it. The prices are very reasonable, too. Parking is a little steep, but your car is safe, and ready to go if you need it. None of this "way off somewhere" parking lot stuff. The only issue I have this trip was an extra charge on the room tax rate from the time we booked the room. It was only $8 so I can certaonly live with that. Give them a try. You won't be sorry.

Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

We had such a great time at the Place D'Armes. The hotel is in the perfect location -- just a block from all the action but on a quiet block that isn't loud at night. Dionne was so accommodating and made us feel right at home, as well as suggested delicious restaurants to try. Great atmosphere, free breakfast in the morning, and friendly service... Stay at the Place d'Armes, you won't be disappointed.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends