“No View!”

Ranked #34 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
Whittier, CA
“No View!”
Reviewed 14 December 2004

I have stayed at this hotel before and I had a nice stay but watch out for the windowless rooms. They are too small and seem even smaller due to a lack of a window. There is no perception of night or day. I called my room the "submarine". I made it a point to call the front desk every morning to ask what it looked like outside and what I should wear before leaving the hotel for the day.
The hotel was completely booked, so I was stuck with my room. The staff was very nice and the continental breakfast was good. I would stay here again as long as it is not in a windowless room.

• Stayed December 2004, travelled on business
2 Thank jsandoval562

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (646)
Starkville, Mississippi
Reviewed 13 December 2004

We just returned from a three night stay at Place D'Armes. We had reserved a courtyard king room w/ non smoking through their 1-800 number. We came in on Monday night on Amtrak & checked in, but unfortunatly we could tell as soon as we stopped in the room that it was a smoking room. We went back to the clerk and he moved us to what he had left..a queen room facing a side courtyard. We were going to be moved the next day in order to get a balcony room anyway, so it wasn't a big deal. The first room was okay...it looked nice, but the floor felt like it was giving way in some spots and I saw a little hole in the wall behind the tv cabinet and there did look to be a touch of mold in the bathroom ceiling.

However the room that we were moved to the next day was really nice. It was a suite really w/ a separate sitting room w/ a sofabed and the whole balcony on that side was ours! It was nice and clean and in much better repair. It was Room 211 I think.

The staff was very nice with the exception of the dayclerk lady who wasn't really overtly rude, just uninterested. Tim the evening clerk was absolutely wonderful. He gave us directions and recommended places to eat and they even sent has us a bottle of chamagne for our arrival since it was our anniversary! The housekeeping lady (I didn't catch her name) was great and sweet and very helpful. The courtyard is beautiful and the continental breakfast was great w/ the crossonts being wonderful and not greasy. Of course the location can't be beat either.

All in all it was a great stay and we will probably stay here again when we visit NO again.

• Stayed December 2004
1 Thank greeneyesat30
windsor, ontario
Reviewed 7 December 2004

My husband and I just returned from a 4 night stay at Place D'armes. This is our 6th trip here, and by far our best experience. Awesome location right at Jackson Square, Royal Street and Bourbon a stones throw away!!
Be sure to get an exterior room, well worth the difference in price.
Dionne, staff receptionist, very nice lady!!
Try "Mothers", the Ferdi Special out of this World.
and "The Alpine", for the best Barbecue Shrimp!!!!
Cheers,

5 Thank robyn m
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 30 November 2004

I travel to New Orleans several times a year for personal medical business and always stay here. The service is super friendly, the French Quarter location is perfect, and the price is good considering the great location. There are some interior rooms w/o windows, but these are great because they are non-smoking and clean. Besides, how much time do you spend in your room anyway?

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Boston, MA
Reviewed 16 November 2004

This small hotel is in a terrific location and has a beautiful outside courtyard. The problem is many of their rooms are inside rooms, meaning no windows. We travelled last minute and could not get anything else, so we were aware of what we had reserved. What surprised me however, was the steep rate charged ($149-$219 per night) for a very small room which was clearly intended for one person not two. For example, there was only one bedside lamp, so my husband and I had to take turns reading at night. In fact, it was so dark, we started to refer to the room as the crypt and the bathroom as the inner-crypt. It was rather dull and drab indeed.

Not having stayed here before I can't rate the outside rooms, (the only one I did see looked lovely), but do be aware when making reservations that the inside rooms are truly that. Other than this lament, the hotel was pleasant, clean and the staff competent. The shining star was the woman who worked in the breakfast room. She simply made your day she was so pleasant.

• Stayed November 2005
4 Thank WendyBoston_MA
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 9 November 2004

We were in New Orleans Sept. 20 and 21 and had a great time. We loved the place for its wonderful garden patios. we had a room upstairs that overlooked one of the gardens and I loved it. I loved the french doors on the outside rooms. I felt like I was in a southern movie. We had a very nice room. Large and clean and the bathroom was huge. I would love to stay again. Service was good and people very friendly especially the young man at the front desk and he was very knowledgeable about getting around.Thank you!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
scotland
Reviewed 6 November 2004

Having spent three nights here in September '04, my husband and I left with the impression that this lovely Hotel in a great location is not realising its full potential probably due to poor management. The staff, while pleasant, do not appear enthusiastic in their work with the exception of the Breakfast Lady.
The sink in our bedroom was stained and filthy and no attempt to clean it was made during our stay. Luckily, the one in the bathroom was OK as were the towels and bedding although it was disconcerting in the night to find cockroaches in the bathroom. (Maybe we're being too squeamish about this but, being from Scotland, we are not used to them.) The air conditioning unit was noisy but we could only control it by disconnecting the power supply as the controls seemed to be jammed up with dirt.
To be fair, these things may have been dealt with had we complained but we were busy enjoying N.O. and the staff, although polite, were always busy and not particularly approachable.

• Stayed September 2004