“WONDERFUL STAFF, GREAT LOCATION, SUPER ROOM”

Place d'Armes Hotel
Ranked #36 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Texas
“WONDERFUL STAFF, GREAT LOCATION, SUPER ROOM”
Reviewed 17 June 2009

I have stayed in several hotels in New Orleans and the Place d'Armes has been, for the buck, the nicest.
The staff was absolutely the greatest.......I mean eveyone...clerks, maids, managers..everyone.
They made our trip a joy and put up with our craziness with humor and patience..

We had a balcony room, #228, and had to go up stairs behind the desk to get to it, but that just added to the charm and gave us an opportunity to get to know the staff..
Being a balcony room it could get a little loud outside, but that's just part of the New Orleans experience. We could see Jackson Square from pur balcony
If you're looking for a peaceful vacation New Orleans should not be your destination.

The courtyard and pool area is very nice and clean......

I LOVE THIS PLACE AND WILL RETURN.................

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank mlcaz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (641)
Paragould, Ar
Reviewed 17 June 2009

I travel quite a bit and decided on this hotel due to it's location. If you want location, this is the place to stay. I will warn you that the staff is 50/50 on being polite. Our check in was slow and they kept no records of our reservation. I didn't bring our vouchers from the website that I booked from and they were going to make me go across the street and pay to use a computer to print it. Thank goodness I had my iphone. The beds and pillows are terrible and the air-conditioning was not good. We did somehow get a balcony room (302) which was nice, but could hear every drunk making noise throughout the night. If you are a sound sleeper and beds don't matter, then stay here. You will not find a better location. You also should be warned that it is haunted, and you can google that info. I will not stay here again. It is a beautiful hotel and has a nice courtyard, but I feel that if the management would run it better it would have potential to be a 4 star hotel. I hope this review isn't to harsh, but I must say that they need to work on the updating of the bedding and rooms.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank rxman
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 11 June 2009

I had a very pleasant stay. The stay was more than helpful and the location is hard to beat being right off of Jackson Square.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
UK
Reviewed 7 June 2009

Booked this 5 months ago only to be found we were placed in a terrible room. Returned from a walk around town on first evening to find an infestation of flying termites. Had to complain hard to be moved to another hotel. Was told this was the second infestation in the last couple of days. Room had a terrible musty smell. Beware!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank MikeH58
Seaside, CA
Reviewed 6 June 2009

I was traveling thru with my mom who was an original french quarter native in the 70's. I booked this room using a travel site, not really knowing what i was getting myself into but hoping to pick somthing my mom would just love. It was golden! The location was right smack dab in the middle of it all, just a short walk from Burbon st for those partiers, close to the cathedral, river and of course Cafe du Monde. It's nice to be able to walk everywhere! We took a ghost tour and the hotel was actually highlighted on the tour, another thing i didn't realize...i'm a scardy cat so i had trouble sleeping after hearing that (nothing scary happend tho :)

The only negative I had was the windowless rooms, i guess i just like to have natural light, but other than that it was the topping on the cake of my week in New Orleans

• Stayed June 2009
2 Thank Merapi36
Pittsburgh
Reviewed 4 June 2009

We stayed here for three nights and it was not bad at all. The room was very clean upon entering. The only thing we had trouble with was exchanging our towels. The first day we asked they were never changed out,it was not until the second day that we got new towels which was okay but be sure not to place "do not disturb" sign on outside of door if you are awaiting anything. The maid told us to put it on the do not disturb side and that she would bring us new towels but never did. I think they get confused of which rooms need what, you are safer placing the maid service needed sign if you need anything.

The night before we were to check out the receptionist arranged for our taxi in the morning. It was 28.00 flat rate which was excatly what it should be. That was a great relief not to have to wake up early to call for one yourself!

The hotel is in a great location, and all was well. It was alittle musty smelling but then again its over 100 years old, and we had an inside room so we somewhat expected that.

Our only complaint was that you could hear your neighbors through the wall..... so sleep with the tv on if you happen to get stuck being booked near people who come in all hours of the night and want to make some noises you don't want to hear. It is new orleans though so you can only expect so much quiet. The pipes also make a wierd noise when the people above you run their water.

For the rate we paid, the eagerness of the staff to assist us with anything we needed, and the location you can't go wrong here. If you want to play it safe then get an outside room with a window, and follow my advice with the door hanger for maid serivce/do not disturb.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hthrann
Knoxville, TN
Reviewed 1 June 2009

Just off Jackson Square and within very easy walking distance to Cafe DuMonde, the location is perfect. However, when booking be sure to secure a room with a balcony to the street or that accesses the relaxing courtyard. They have older rooms at the very back at the hotel that looks out onto nothing but a wall and requires a torturous climb up narrow stairs. The better rooms can be accessed by an elevator. They serve breakfast (croissants and coffee) and make newspapers available.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple