“A perfect base from which to explore the city” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Place d'Armes Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Place d'Armes Hotel
Ranked #38 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
near Glasgow
“A perfect base from which to explore the city”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2009

It was our first visit to New Orleans and you can easily walk to all the places of interest. I couldnn't believe how centrally situated it was. We had a large room with a good sized bathroom.The decor was rather dark and heavy but maybe that was to be in keeping with the style of the buildoing. It was through a couple of courtyards and initially a bit difficult to find our way back to!!! Staff were friendly; breakfast was a bit basic but really matched the description of it in the otel blurb. I liked the complementary daily paper.The room was clean.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Terry2106

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (624)
Macomb, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2009

The staff here were excellent, friendly, and very helpful. Our room was not ready when we checked in about 4 p.m. and the desk clerk called up immediately to find out when it would be ready and the bellhop actually went and talked to the maids to tell them to do ours first. It was ready in 15 minutes and he took our bags upstairs (we had a 3rd floor room) and took us to the room. I can't say enough about how friendly and nice the staff were. I read other reviews here talking about impolite staff, but we didn't encounter a single one. The desk clerk even happily printed our boarding passes for our flight home with no hassle at all and they have a nice list of recommended restaurants they give to guests.

The room was beautiful and actually quite spacious for an older hotel in the French Quarter. Six years ago we stayed at another hotel and our room was literally the size of a closet. Our room had access to a shared balcony on the 3rd floor and two huge windows that let in plenty of light. The air conditioning worked like a charm and there was also an overhead ceiling fan. The room showed no signs of disrepair or aging and the decor was nice. The only thing I would suggest would be to update the faucets in the shower and the water pressure wasn't the greatest but adequate, also the toilet didn't flush the best, you had to hold the handle down until the bowl emptied completely, but other than that, it was well worth the $99 a night (weeknight rates) that we spent, especially since you can easily pay just as much or even more for a less nice hotel in the French Quarter. The bed wasn't the most comfortable I've ever slept in but it wasn't terrible and I don't usually find any hotel beds that comfortable but the pillows were nice and plump. I would recommend if you have one of the rooms on the 3rd floor that you be patient about maid service as they don't seem to get around to those rooms until around 3:30 - 4:00 p.m. but that's understandable considering how many rooms there are and they can't really start until check out at noon.

The courtyard was beautiful and we spent more time there than the balcony. The only problem was the heat and humidity were quite high and you don't get much of a breeze in the courtyard. However, they do have a pool there, it's a bit small, but nice to keep cool in. They also serve a continental breakfast in a very nice room off the courtyard. It's nice if you want to just grab a quick croissant or danish (nothing special) but I would suggest that they offer some fruit with breakfast like most places serve that offer a continental breakfast. They're also very close to Cafe du Monde so you could just skip the breakfast and go get beignets.

I've read some negative reviews on here but what I've noticed is that most of them are people that booked what they call "interior" rooms, that is rooms without windows. Yes, in a high humidity atmosphere you may get a "musty" smell in such a room, and yes, believe it or not, there are bugs in New Orleans being near water and with its climate, get used to it (though we didn't see any in our room.) If you are claustrophobic or have problems with not having natural light, don't get an interior room either. We were already aware of this when we booked from reading reviews so we made sure to request a room with windows. To be honest, the rates for such rooms aren't that much higher than the interior rooms, so it's worth the extra few bucks and you'll enjoy this hotel much more if you get one of the non-interior rooms. It's so often true that you get what you pay for so if you want to be cheap and not pay the bit of extra money for a better room, then don't complain. Also, though we didn't book through an internet site like travelocity or expedia, when I was looking for hotels on their sites, I noticed that you are automatically booked for the lowest rate room if you book through them which is the interior rooms, so if you use them, make sure you upgrade and it doesn't hurt to call the hotel and make sure your booking is for the upgraded room before arriving.

We will definitely be returning to Place d'Armes when we go back to New Orleans in the future. They definitely made our trip pleasant and enjoyable, especially after our experiences with other "older" hotels in the quarter that cost just as much and weren't nearly as nice.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank angela52376
Lawton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2009

This was the second time we have stayed here. The staff is always nice and helpful. Called 2 monthe prior to our visit talked to Mr. Valentino and he got us the same room we had the year before. We had some friends come in and spend a couple of days with us. It was their first trip to New Orleans but it won't be their last. We plan on visiting New Orleans again next year.Our friends that visted us and another couple are planning on travelling with us to New Orleans next year. This place has a great pool and courtyard. I wish that we had the courtyard at our home.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wcoklahoma
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2009

I have stayed in several hotels in New Orleans and the Place d'Armes has been, for the buck, the nicest.
The staff was absolutely the greatest.......I mean eveyone...clerks, maids, managers..everyone.
They made our trip a joy and put up with our craziness with humor and patience..

We had a balcony room, #228, and had to go up stairs behind the desk to get to it, but that just added to the charm and gave us an opportunity to get to know the staff..
Being a balcony room it could get a little loud outside, but that's just part of the New Orleans experience. We could see Jackson Square from pur balcony
If you're looking for a peaceful vacation New Orleans should not be your destination.

The courtyard and pool area is very nice and clean......

I LOVE THIS PLACE AND WILL RETURN.................

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank mlcaz
Paragould, Ar
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2009

I travel quite a bit and decided on this hotel due to it's location. If you want location, this is the place to stay. I will warn you that the staff is 50/50 on being polite. Our check in was slow and they kept no records of our reservation. I didn't bring our vouchers from the website that I booked from and they were going to make me go across the street and pay to use a computer to print it. Thank goodness I had my iphone. The beds and pillows are terrible and the air-conditioning was not good. We did somehow get a balcony room (302) which was nice, but could hear every drunk making noise throughout the night. If you are a sound sleeper and beds don't matter, then stay here. You will not find a better location. You also should be warned that it is haunted, and you can google that info. I will not stay here again. It is a beautiful hotel and has a nice courtyard, but I feel that if the management would run it better it would have potential to be a 4 star hotel. I hope this review isn't to harsh, but I must say that they need to work on the updating of the bedding and rooms.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank rxman
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2009

I had a very pleasant stay. The stay was more than helpful and the location is hard to beat being right off of Jackson Square.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2009

Booked this 5 months ago only to be found we were placed in a terrible room. Returned from a walk around town on first evening to find an infestation of flying termites. Had to complain hard to be moved to another hotel. Was told this was the second infestation in the last couple of days. Room had a terrible musty smell. Beware!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple