“Great Hotel in perfect location”

Place d'Armes Hotel
Ranked #38 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Down Under
“Great Hotel in perfect location”
Reviewed 27 October 2009

I guess I will get my complaint out of the way first.
On arriving at the hotel the woman at the front desk (who I believe may be the Manager) was so efficient the whole experience was cold and calculating and certainly wasn't welcoming. On departure the guy (night clerk I guess) was just as bad. Both of them had absolutely no "Welcome to the Hotel" or "I hope you enjoyed your stay"_____more of an lets get this over with attitude.
Having said that absolutely everyone else we encountered were wonderful and helpfull, particularly Courtney.
We were two couples and we had very different room locations and both were great.
The ambiance around the courtyard areas was terrific and breakfast was what we expected from previous reviews and was good enough to get you started for the day.
The location of course is perfect and we would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank Oskar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (637)
Normal, Il
Reviewed 25 October 2009

We are in New Orleans almost every year and have stayed at this hotel many times.
Since Katrina there has been a definite improvement in service and the kudos go to
lyn Castenada the new manager. Calm, efficiant and friendly attitude from everyone there.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank zasu09
Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed 23 October 2009

My husband and I stayed at Place d'Armes for 5 nights. 3rd time to New Orleans but first time at this hotel. It was perfect. The location is great. Close to all the action but still very quiet at night. The pool was much appreciated to cool off after sightseeing. Frenchmen Street was within walking distance. I love the old world feel to the hotel and our room was very clean. We had a King room with shared balcony and enjoyed sitting out there in the morning or evening, do some people watching and listen to musicians in Jackson Square.

Breakfast was simple but good. Nice to be able to get a coffee/danish before heading out for the day.

The staff was excellent, in particular Stewart, who recommened a number of places to eat, all of which were great! Everyone there greeted us with a smile and answered any questions we had.

I wouldn't hesitiate to recommend this hotel and will certainly stay here again.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank readyforavacation
London
Reviewed 16 October 2009

It's been a few months but if I remember rightly we got room 126. It's at the very back corner of the hotel complex, on the ground floor. It was damp and dingy. My travel partner may have got bed bugs.

We stayed there for 2 nights in this room and then insisted on being changed to another room. We got a balcony room on the first floor which was lovely. Should have asked for a change of room immedoately so be sure to do the same.

As for breakfast, typical US style breakfast - cheap orange juice, bland croisants.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank honesty900
Westmoreland, TN
Reviewed 15 October 2009

My 17 year old daughter and I just got back from NO and stayed 3 nights in the Place D'Armes. The only negative I would give our stay was the $25.00 a day fee for valet parking plus another $3.00 tax on that each day. However, since we wanted to stay in the French Quarter, it turned out to be the most practical way to park our car. There were other lots several blocks away, but there was no assurance that they would be any cheaper for 24 hour parking. The hotel's location was great - the Haunted History Tour and the Cemetary tour both met just a few blocks away. We found out on the Haunted History tour on the last night of our stay that this hotel has had several paranormal sightings over the years. However, we both found the room to be quiet and comfortable (except an occasional noise from old plumbing) The continental breakfast was just croissants and danish, but they were very fresh and tasty. The coffee provided in room was exceptionally good (with the liquid coffee mate I brought from home) I never got around to actually trying the beignets at Cafe du Monde which is just down the block.
HERE IS A TIP: If you take the cemetary tour at 1:15, DO take a umbrella especially if it is sunny. The Vaults in the St Louis No 1 cemetary white washed and reflect the heat. I am from Tennessee and thought I was used to the heat, but I almost passed out. I wish I had followed this recommendation. Cafe Pontalba on Jackson Square has wonderful food - I tried the Crawfish Etoffee on the walitress' recommendation - Very Good! Also, if you can get out of the city, go to Destrehan plantation. It's right off of 310, a quick trip out and is gorgeous. Oak Alley is a bit farther out and it is even more beautiful.

• Stayed October 2009
1 Thank travel_lover055
Bridgewater, New Jersey
Reviewed 10 October 2009

I have stayed at many hotels in the French Quarter, and I always return to the Place d'Armes! I have finally decided that I won't stay anywhere else anymore! The service at the counter was fine, not overwhelmingly stellar but perfectly acceptable. They called us when our room was ready (early!!!) and they even had a wheelchair for us to use for my mom, who was having trouble walking because of the heat! The rooms are absolutely stellar, just totally gorgeous! Clean and comfortable, and really beautiful too! And the courtyard is beyond beautiful! It's an absolute oasis in the midst of the hustle and bustle of the French Quarter. We spend all evening outside just sitting by the pool, swimming in the pool, or sitting by the fountain! The location couldn't be more ideal, just steps from Jackson Square and the middle of everything!! I love this place, I miss it already and I can't WAIT to go back!!! Highly recommended!!!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank JennyC724
Birmingham, AL
Reviewed 9 October 2009

Have never stayed in the Quarter before, although I've been to NOLA several times. I loved the experience. The courtyard and pool were quaint and proved to be the perfect place to sit and relax off of the busy streets. We stayed in an interior room with a door off of the courtyard. The room proved to be much larger than we anticipated, although some of the furnishings were older, and the bed was a little hard. It all seemed to be part of the genuine Old New Orleans feel though, and we loved it. The internet service worked great, and the people at the front desk were decent. We asked them for various recommendations and to have a cab called and were treated well, although not great. The guy who carried our luggage was wonderful, though, telling us all the places we needed to visit and truly making us feel welcome. Off-street parking is nice in the Quarter, and they have discounted rates for guests--although it's not included. It was cheaper than I have paid for parking in the CBD. The location can't be beat. The hotel itself was clean, as were the rooms. We enjoyed it thoroughly.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple