“Great Historic Experience”

Ranked #32 of 164 Hotels in New Orleans
West Bend, Wisconsin
“Great Historic Experience”
Reviewed 4 November 2009

After being very dissapointed in the French Market Inn 5 years ago when we visited NOLA, we were hesitant to book another similar hotel. We actually had reservations at the Hilton but decided to cancel them and try Place d'Arms based on the good reviews. We are very happy we made the decision we did. The rooms were large , clean and quiet. Our room had a balcony outside of our windows right on Chartres overlooking Jackson Square to the right. The courtyard was beautiful with all the fountains, statues and plants. The continental breakfast was small but the coffee was great. Staff was very helpful and courteous. EVERYTHING is in walking distance. Cafe Du Maude is one block away so I could walk there and bring some coffee back before we really got the day started. Price was more than fair for what we got. We will definitely stay here again on our next visit to NOLA. It's so much better than a national chain!

Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank Crasso

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (647)
Rochester
Reviewed 4 November 2009

I booked this hotel well in advance and took advantage of the saver price direct from the hotel but you can not cancel or amend your booking. We were given a larger room than I had booked which was a bonus. The standard of the room was excellent with free wi-fi and a large bath tub. The hotel is very clean and in a brilliant location. The only downside was the breakfast. All they had was cheap orange juice and croissants or sticky buns / cakes. If they could improve on this, it would be a wonderful place. I would still recommend this hotel though. Parking is very expensive here, look around we managed to park for $10 for 24 hours nearby.

3 Thank lmelbourn
North Yorkshire
Reviewed 3 November 2009

We stayed at the Place D'Armes in early September for 3 nights. Our room was above the main reception with its own balcony and t looked out onto St Ann Street. The room was quiet, clean and comfortable, the maid service was daily and they did a good job leaving clean towles every day even when we didn't need them. The bath was small in lenght and depth but as we showered it was irrelevant. The hotel do offer a free continental breakfast but we did not try it as we prefer to go out and about to find somewhere local to eat. The courtyard area was pleasant and quiet, the pool is quite small but looked nice although we did not use it as we spent all our time enjoying the city.
The hotel is in a superb location minutes walk from Bourbon Street and Jackson Square, we heard no noise on an evening from Bourbon Street.
The only slight drawback was the valet parking which was $25 per night, however I do not know the area and would not know where else to park so would rather know my car was safe although I would have preffered to have payed less!
I would recommend this hotel, the room was great, the location perfect.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kozzer15
Sherman, Mississippi
Reviewed 2 November 2009

My wife and I spent 3 nights at the Place d"Armes in October 2009. The entire stay was simply superb. Being a history buff, I enjoyed the old world appeal of the architecture and the presentation of the property in general. This hotel is certainly NOT your "cookie cutter" variety of hotel which can be found in practically every city on the planet. The Place d"Armes IS PART OF the French Quarter and not just a hotel in the French Quarter. The location was perfect (within easy walking distance of every site in the French Quarter); the staff was courteous and helpful; my vehicle was keep safe and secure; the room was clean and well furnished; And, even though the hotel is surrounded by the atmosphere of the Quarter, the room in which we stayed was quiet and peaceful.

This was my first stay at the Place d"Armes, but it will not be my last. I plan on staying at this hotel everytime I have opportunity to visit New Orleans.

If you are looking for a standard "run of the mill" hotel which can be found anywhere and has no unique attachment to where it is located, don't stay here. BUT, if you would like your hotel to actually be a part of the pleasant memories you take away with you after your visit to the French Quarter, STAY AT THE PLACE d"ARMES!!

3 Thank WilsonMace
Down Under
Reviewed 27 October 2009

I guess I will get my complaint out of the way first.
On arriving at the hotel the woman at the front desk (who I believe may be the Manager) was so efficient the whole experience was cold and calculating and certainly wasn't welcoming. On departure the guy (night clerk I guess) was just as bad. Both of them had absolutely no "Welcome to the Hotel" or "I hope you enjoyed your stay"_____more of an lets get this over with attitude.
Having said that absolutely everyone else we encountered were wonderful and helpfull, particularly Courtney.
We were two couples and we had very different room locations and both were great.
The ambiance around the courtyard areas was terrific and breakfast was what we expected from previous reviews and was good enough to get you started for the day.
The location of course is perfect and we would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank Oskar
Normal, Il
Reviewed 25 October 2009

We are in New Orleans almost every year and have stayed at this hotel many times.
Since Katrina there has been a definite improvement in service and the kudos go to
lyn Castenada the new manager. Calm, efficiant and friendly attitude from everyone there.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank zasu09
Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed 23 October 2009

My husband and I stayed at Place d'Armes for 5 nights. 3rd time to New Orleans but first time at this hotel. It was perfect. The location is great. Close to all the action but still very quiet at night. The pool was much appreciated to cool off after sightseeing. Frenchmen Street was within walking distance. I love the old world feel to the hotel and our room was very clean. We had a King room with shared balcony and enjoyed sitting out there in the morning or evening, do some people watching and listen to musicians in Jackson Square.

Breakfast was simple but good. Nice to be able to get a coffee/danish before heading out for the day.

The staff was excellent, in particular Stewart, who recommened a number of places to eat, all of which were great! Everyone there greeted us with a smile and answered any questions we had.

I wouldn't hesitiate to recommend this hotel and will certainly stay here again.

2 Thank readyforavacation