“read all the reviews - I discovered that most have validity...”

Place d'Armes Hotel
Ranked #27 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 1 December 2009

Place D'Armes is certainly not the worst hotel...the location is fabulous, the staff is friendly and the courtyard is gorgeous.

That's where the good things to say end.

The website is VERY misleading as far as "balcony rooms" go. I saw another review in which the reviewer mentioned that she felt lied to because she had to walk out of her room and down the hall to the balcony. Same here. We got one of those same rooms. And then she mentioned that she got switched to a room that had a window that opened up to the balcony...all i can say is that's got to be better than having a room that is adjacent to a balcony that ANYONE in the freaking hotel could access (with a window to said balcony that is directly behind the headboard of the bed).

The walls are paper thin. My husband and I were woken up at around 6 am by other vacationers in the next room who we discovered were actually talking at a reasonable volume.

There is absolutely NO bathroom privacy. There are two slatted doors and approximately 10 feet separating the toilet from the bed. Not so awesome.

The continental breakfast - coffee, oj, water, croissants and some danishes - was mediocre as best.

The rooms were pretty shabby. There was a layer of dust on the walls from the ac/ceiling fan. Clearly the walls had not been cleaned in several months.

The blanket (not bedspread) had lots of holes (cigarette burns?), the mattress was on beyond firm to "hard."

I felt like the room could have easily been broken into - there is a physical key instead of a card and the deadbolt is only able to be engaged when one is in the room.

Sunday our rate was $90. Place d'Armes _might_ be worth that...but Sunday our rate was $160 and I feel incredibly ripped off by that.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank paranan
Write a ReviewReviews (2,418)

Reviewed 22 November 2009

My daughter and I enjoyed the most delightful weekend in New orleans. My only disappointment was when we got to our room at the Place D'Armes I immediatly went to the balcony and discovered that we didn't have a balacony.
I had spent two weeks searching for the perfect place to stay with a balacony in New Orleans. There were many hotels that I could have chosen but because the Place D'Arems assured me a balacony, I made my reservation.
When I called down to the desk I was informed that the balcony was there I just had to go out the door and down the hall to acces the balcony. Mind you the picture on the internet that was labeled "balcony room" showed a door from the room leading directly to a private balcony. I was very upset and offered a discount on the room and was assured that as soon as a true balcony room opened up, we would be moved. We were moved two days later and found that a balcony room does not include a door but a Window to climb through. Our room was wonderful, the pool was great, the location was the best but I don't like being lied too.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
5  Thank someplacewarm050
Reviewed 18 November 2009

Place D'Armes Hotel is located in a historic building, the site of Louisiana's first school in 1725. The hotel is kept in beautiful condition, with a charming courtyard in the center. The hotel pool is located in the courtyard, it is relatively small, though large and deep enough for doing laps; I only wish that it were heated! My room was a ground floor "deluxe room" facing the courtyard, and was quiet and restful. What an attractive room! The room's furniture fit the historic ambiance of the hotel. Bathroom was large, with plenty of towels. Breakfast is included with the room rate, but that consists of danishes, croissants, bananas, tea, coffee, and orange juice. However, with the abundance of Creole restaurants in walking distance for lunch and dinner, a light breakfast seems in order anyway. A great Creole restaurant, Muriel's, is located next door. Half a block away, the Royal Street Deli is a good place for breakfast and lunch. The hotel's location is fantastic, half a block from Jackson Square and right around the corner from St. Louis Cathedral; this is literally the center of the French Quarter. Definitely a five-star hotel at a three-star price!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank NJWil
Reviewed 13 November 2009

Place D Armes has been a home away from home each time I am in New Orleans. Location is great and a real New Oleans feel. Only draw back is, parking rate is high with no discounts the longer you stay and beware of the bedding, like sleeping on a board. I would recommend this hotel but just be ware..........

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank ruebourbon3
Reviewed 10 November 2009

We have been staying in the Place d'Armes for approx 15 yrs; it is my bday present and we go every yr. As I have been in love w/New Orleans for many yrs, I have a ball walking & taking pix. My husband thoroly enjoys sitting on the balcony of our rm and watching the world go by. Altho we miss very much Miss Pat, the concierge who is gone every Aug, we have found ALL the employees extremely helpful to assist you in any way. Neither of us prefer a larger more contemporary hotel; this one has a great deal of charm which this incredible city exudes. We look forward to our return in 2010 are thinking seriously about Christmas this yr too. sue kubecka

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank suzyktexas
Reviewed 9 November 2009

If you and your partner are looking for the perfectly romantic place in the French Quarter, then this hotel is the ticket. It's centrally located to most anything anyone would want to see or do - most importantly, the courtyard is indescribable and the most integral part of the romance and intrigue of this hotel - not to mention the history behind the several buildings that makeup the hotel (be sure to ask "Bubby" about it). The general manager (Bubby) and his staff are absolutely excellent at making sure your stay is perfect. We were married in the courtyard and will NEVER forget he experience! The prices are fantastic, considering what other surrounding hotels in the French Quarter charge. Sure...the fancy, well known hotels of the French Quarter are very nice, but my wife and I find that lots of marble and brass and mirrors are a little on the "cold" side; in contrast, the lush foliage - especially the two magnolia trees, which are over 100 years old - make the courtyard of Place d'Armes so romantic and captivating that it's worth staying there JUST to see it, but the rooms are each so unique and perfectly appointed that you won't ever want to leave! We had the opportunity to stay in three totally different rooms and loved each one of them for different reasons. There are many balconies facing the courtyard, as well as one facing Chartres Street, which gives you a spectacular, juxtaposed view of the St. Louis Cathedral and Jackson Square. You CANNOT ask for a better location or a better place to spend a romantic time with your "special" person. Do yourself a favor...book a weekend NOW! and see for yourself - you'll not regret it! And be sure to ask for the general manager; he is absolutely the most warm and personable man I've met in the hotel business, and he'll give you some historical "tidbits" that will leave you hungry for more!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank DavidandHeather1028
Reviewed 7 November 2009

We stayed in an interior room located on the fourth floor. The room was clean, but that was about the only positive thing I can say about it. The TV was not working properly with most channels having a green tint, the clock radio was flashing the incorrect time when we arrived and I had to fix it myself, there was no safe in the room, the sink made the most horrible screeching sound the entire time the hot water ran, the walls were paper thin and we could hear the man coughing who was staying in the room adjacent to us as well as the couple above us having sex, and when people walked by in the hallway you could hear their conversations and everything they were saying as if your door were wide open. I knew that this particular room did not have windows, but after two days, this started to feel very claustrophobic and made it hard to wake up in the morning due to the lack of any natural light at all. The courtyard was the main reason I booked this hotel and planned on spending a lot of time relaxing there, however, this was not possible. There were mosquitoes everywhere and we received at least five bites on various parts of our bodies. These mosquitoes were so aggressive that they even bit through clothing! It was too cool to swim, but no one maintained the pool, not even for aesthetic purposes; there were leaves and debris floating in it the entire four days we were there. The vending machines were the only place in the hotel for you to get water, and it was hit or miss whether they worked or not. We had to tell the front desk on two occasions that the machine had taken our money without returning a bottle and she laughed about it and said it was a testy machine (but refunded the money immediately). At $197 a night, we could have and should have done much better than this.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple