“The Place in New Orleans!”

Place d'Armes Hotel
Ranked #29 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 1 July 2006

Place d'Armes--THE place when visiting New Orleans!
We spent a few days in New Orleans in the Spring, 2006 and stayed at the Place d'Armes Hotel. A small, European style hotel located in the heart of the French Quarter, next to the Cathedral and diagonally across the street from Jackson Square.
This was our third visit there in perhaps ten years and we were pleased to note that the service and hospitality were equal to or better than we had experienced in the past. Small but very efficient and helpful front office staff, garage, excellent restaurant in same building, great location within walking distance of many other top-rate restaurants and other attractions. Ideal for tourist or business trip to New Orleans.

7  Thank Gjonesjr
Write a ReviewReviews (2,381)

A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 25 June 2006

We have been to NO many times and only once did we stay somewhere else ! This hotel is the greatest! It is quaint, has loads of atmosphere, the staff are great and it is quiet after a long day and night out. I cannot recommend it enough! We have had both interior and exterior rooms. I would recommend the exterior, however in a pinch the interior rooms will do!

• Stayed: September 2004
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 17 June 2006

The Place d'Armes Hotel in New Orleans is an excellent hotel! Every staff member is cheerful, helpful, and readily available. The hotel is extremely clean and well-tended. The courtyard with its plants, flowers, and pool is a delightful place to start and end the day. I expect to stay there every time I visit New Orleans.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 June 2006

We celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary at the Place d'Armes June 4-7. We've got to say it is probably one of the best anniversaries thanks to this really great place. As all have said, this is a very unique, historical hotel giving that extra special feel. It is so close to everything you ever would want to do in the heart of the French Quarter. A block and a half to the famous Cafe du Monde for coffee and beignets; two blocks to Bourbon street, and just a few steps from Jackson Square.

We stayed in a courtyard room with a queen bed. The room and furnishings were decorated with just the right historical yet modern touches. There was a ton of room with 12 foot ceilings and it was all tucked off their beautiful courtyard. Lots of trees, flowers, and cast iron to enjoy the very best city in the world.

If you want a modern hotel with all it's stuffiness this is not the place for you. This is a definitely change of pace in the middle of the fun of 'Nawlins. The staff was great and were more than willing to give suggestions of the city and tours.

We're sold and will be back to the Place d'Armes many times more in the future.

• Stayed: June 2006
5  Thank okksmo
Reviewed 11 June 2006

My friend and I were looking for a unique hotel in the quarter and this definitely fit the bill. The hotel is in a great location and near everything without being noisy at night. The staff was very nice and helpful.
Only problem we ran into had to do with our original rooms. We booked rooms with a courtyard view and technically mine was on the courtyard, but next to the office and under an overhang with only one window that was 5 ft up the wall with shutters so you couldn't see out of it (I think room 110). The room was beautifully decorated but the black lamp shades and covered window made it extremely dark -- even with all the lights on! My friend's room was on the first floor next to the street so you couldn't open the curtains with any privacy. We ended up changing rooms the next day into a rooms on the third floor. Smaller rooms, but nice view of the courtyard. Both of my rooms were very clean and the A/C worked great.
The friendly staff answered our questions and provided suggestions for places to eat. They arranged a cab for us on our return to the airport and it arrived right on time. The continental breakfast was good, but we couldn't get enough of the beignets at Cafe Du Monde (just a block away) so we mostly ate breakfast there.
I would definitely stay there again. New Orleans was wonderful and the people are very happy to see the few tourists that show up. Store and restaurant hours varied from what was printed in brouchures due to lack of tourists and the "help wanted" signs everywhere. Just be patient and you'll have a great time!

• Stayed: May 2006
2  Thank NB815
Reviewed 2 June 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Place d armes for only one night, as it was a quick family business trip. I am from New Orleans but have lived in north Louisiana for the last 30 years. I didn't want to stay in a typical cookie cutter hotel and when I found the prices for this hotel, I jumped on my reservations! This small, quaint hotel is smack dab in the heart of the Quarter - across the street from Jackson Square. It is made of 9 buildings all surrounding the most beautiful courtyard. Every room is slightly different due to the layout, but I find this to be the most appealing part of its charm. We had room 218 and when we wound our way through the courtyard, we found that access to our room could be by elevator or by back stairs. Charming! Our keys were the old real metal keys!! Not those computer plastic things. Our room had 12 foot ceilings and 2 double beds. There were 3 floor to ceiling windows, 2 were bolted shut, but one opened on to the balcony and wow! What a view! Within a stone's throw was Jackson Square and St. Louis Cathedral! I loved the worn treads on the wooden staircase. Yes, there are signs of 'worn-ness' but this is the French Quarter! That's what gives it character! And, yes, the French Quarter has smells to it. Always has, always will. If you are looking for the slick, modern, typical hotel, this is not for you. We found it to be clean, and had everything we needed. Breakfast was also included. New Orleans has the best coffee!! I thoroughly enjoyed our too short stay there, but will be back. God bless New Orleans, my home. Please visit her and support her through your tourism dollars. She can never be replaced.

• Stayed: April 2006, travelled on business
8  Thank 456Cheryl
Reviewed 22 May 2006

We stayed in the Place 'd Armes for 3 nights as part of a long weekend vacation. The location is excellent for visiting the French Quarter and CBD. From the location on Charteres it's two blocks to Decatur and two blocks to Bourbon Street. The room was clean and did not have any weird smells. The staff was very friendly and helpful with recommendations for places to see and eat.

We highly recommend visiting New Orleans and giving the area some badly needed tourism.

Stayed: May 2006