“Great Boutique hotel”
Review of Soniat House

Soniat House
Ranked #92 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 16 October 2011

Spent two nights at this charming French Quarter inn. Located toward eastern edge of the quarter, about 4 blocks from Jackson Square. A rather small but well preserved old building with beautiful enclosed court yard. Very attentive staff who seemed to want to cater to your every whim. Quiet and restful surroundings.

Room Tip: We had Room 32 which is very private with own terrace for breakfast, etc.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank James H

Reviewed 12 September 2011

We'd stayed at Soniat House before, but for this weekend trip for my husband's birthday, we decided to upgrade to a suite, and it was definitely worth it. I felt like we were being led into our own New Orleans apartment as we were let into our room. The furnishings were lovely and fit the period of this historic location.

Speaking of location, although it's in the French Quarter, it's far enough away from the bars of Bourbon Street that you can sleep peacefully at night. Yet it's near enough that you can easily walk anywhere in the Quarter.

The hotel staff is so helpful & gracious. There's an honor bar in the front room, as well as a computer on which you can print out your boarding passes, and free wifi in the rooms. Our room cleaner kept the room immaculate at all times. I really couldn't recommend this place more; it's my favorite place to stay while in New Orleans.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kgs1958
Reviewed 9 September 2011

This is a beautiful, charming property in the French Quarter which offers the perfect Nola experience. Gorgeous antique furniture, exquisite courtyard and delicious biscuits for breakfast (not too big though so you have room for lunch). It's in a quiet part of the French Quarter away from the crowds but a short walk from the prettiest squares, restaurants and music venues. Would definitely return!

When I was there Hugh Laurie stayed at Soniat House too, and I hear there are a ton of celebs who also have stayed there. I'm not surprised since I can't imagine a more luxurious and authentically charming place to stay in the quarter.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank ThirtyByThirty
Reviewed 15 August 2011

We went to New Orleans for the first time this August. We decided to stay in the French Quarter and wanted a hotel that was romantic, quiet, but still in the heart of the action. We found that and more at Soniat House. We were greeted upon arrival with news that we had been upgraded to a suite and we were allowed to check in early. We were also given great restaurant and shopping recommendations. You can walk EVERYWHERE in the French Quarter from Soniat House but the hotel is on a quiet block away from chaos. Our room was very elegant and charming. Of course it was not brand new and "cookie cutter" like some chain hotels, but it was clean, classy, and romantic. The courtyard was lit by candles in the evening and classical music played softly over the courtyard speakers. I would stay here again if in New Orleans!

• Stayed: August 2011
3  Thank Stanlee175
Reviewed 14 August 2011

The hotel is very charming and conveniently located in Chartres St., in the French quarter. The personnel is kind and the rooms are tidy and nice. The hotel is located in a typical New Orleans' house, with a courtyard full of plants.
I would have rated this hotel as excellent if it weren't a SLH, but being that I think it lacks something, i.e.
- the breakfast can only be served in your room due to the lack of common spaces.
- there is a small living room, very nice and cozy, but guests can't eat there.
- you can have breakfast in the courtyard but it is really, really small
At the end of the day, you can use this hotel only to sleep but there are no places to sit and relax after a long day walking by the streets of New Orleans.
Also, we are member of the SLH club and we are supposed to receive an upgrade when available, and we did receive it in other SLH hotels, but the Soniat did not mention the thing at all.
If I remember correctly you don't even have free water bottles in your room.
I think the hotel is a bit overpriced, being under othe SLH hotels' d.
But it is a great place, neat, and I can't complain about anything else.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank iviaggidellastefi
Reviewed 3 August 2011

The Soniat House is lovingly tucked away in New Orleans French Quarter. It is very walkable to all points of interest but sufficiently away from the hub-bub. This was a return trip for us, having stayed there on our honeymoon. The courtyard is always lovely, but it is a radiant fairyland of lights at night. The breakfast is very good although not included in the price of the room....you'd do better to walk over to Cafe Du Monde or the little bakery just nearby. For a restful, peaceful, romantic interlude stay at the Soniat House.

Room Tip: Try and get a room upstairs.....good views on the outside balcony.
  • Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mums9
Reviewed 8 July 2011

I reserved the Soniat House in July of 2010 for the Essence Festival and the room was $675.00 a night. My credit card was billed for one night in advance. I called to downsize because I was traveling alone as oppose to traveling with my family. Now mind you I stayed with them the year before and paid $650.00 per night in 2010. I saw online there were rooms available and I couldn't believe they treated me the way they did. The staff in the evening said it wouldn't be problem and the next morning I was told they couldn't downsize me because they were a small property and they couldn't afford to take the loss. I was so shocked!! and couldn't believe my ears......they could have at least given me half of the last night of my stay....nothing. I can assure you I will spread the word and let Essence Staff and Press to never ever recommend or put this hotel on their website for their event. I will also inform the Jazz Festival employees to do the same. Maybe when we stop staying there and wasting our hard earned money, Soniat will take classes on how to give better customer service for repeated business.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
8  Thank annoymous1234
soniat1133, Owner at Soniat House, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2011

We know that you like our hotel and we like having you with us.Your friends who visited you in your suite seemed very pleased with the Hotel also. You did indeed reserve in July of 2010 to come back to us for the Essence Festival 2011. Your confirmation for both years clearly stated that you were reserving for a minimum of 4 nights and that any changes or cancellation had to be received 30 days in advance of arrival. We did make a concession for you as a return guests and allowed you to shorten your reservation to 3 nights when you found that you had to be back at work on Monday. We took the loss of $ 675 which would be felt in any hotel but in a 30 room hotel is a major concession. Your request to downgrade was received just 2 days prior to your arrival date which left us no opportunity to resell the Grand Suite. We are simply too small to absorb that magnitude of loss. I realize that your unhappiness is with our cancellation policies and not with our hotel but in a property our size they are essential.
I hope that you will reconsider and that we will see you back at the Soniat House next July if not before.