“lovely place to live”

Ranked #97 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Lincoln, Nebraska
“lovely place to live”
Reviewed 11 October 2013

This place was BEAUTIFUL.

I am gonna steal from David K.

Beautiful. Opulent without being tacky. Private courtyards lined with votives at night. An honor bar stocked with really nice booze and no one watching to see how much you pour in your glass. Super-friendly help.

http://Hotels.com had the room listed at $195. We called the hotel direct and got it for under 140

Totally enjoyed our stay!!!

Special thanks to our Check in agent Linda

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
soniat1133, Owner at Soniat House, responded to this review, 2 November 2013
Thank you for your kind words.
Hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
vientiene
Reviewed 27 September 2013

We stayed there the same time as the wedding party in question. Our take is very different.

Everyone did seem to arrive at once for check in (it being a wedding and all), but the wait for a room was about 5 minutes.

A friend stayed upstairs in the very same hall way. She found it quiet enough and certainly wasn't bothered by any ambient light. Having been up there myself, this chandelier complaint does seem a little on the nitpickish side.

The Soniat House is located in one of the quietest parts of the quarter. My friend sat out on the balcony for a half an hour at a stretch without seeing a pedestrian pass by. How many non-Bourbon street hotels even have a communal balcony for their guests?

The breakfast is line with what'd you pay for the same at a good hotel. The quality is high, the location is stunning and convenient. So that's why a biscuit, coffee, and juice costs you $15.

Because you're not getting a senior coffee at McDonalds in some strip mall. It's not some evil ponzi scheme, it's called tourism. And they do do it up to death with silver coffee pots, good fresh squeeze, etc.

The service staff across the spectrum was 5*. A request for a face cloth in the late PM had one in my hand in less than one minute. Whether it was the guy helping me with my bag, or the much beloved Ervine, I can't recall beling so well treated.

These lumbering old New Orleans Mansions are money pits/labors of love. This one is the nicest, most well-kept, most elegant, most un-modernized in the quarter.

AND you're also getting real air conditioning and a modern bathroom with all the trimmings. In a veritable palace this old. In Europe, these rooms would cost triple.

Further notes: We stayed in room 14, right by the staircase. That would have likely been the noisiest room in the place, but we found it very quiet. They are indeed strict about that 7:15 AM coffee cut off, but the Starbucks-like Community Coffee is one up and one over one Royal (opens at 7 AM).

Irene's Cuisine and The Maximo Grill are great meals nearby. We got our room on a flash sale on Jetsetter. Typically, they offer a few rooms for the Sept. (sometimes a bit rainy) season in August for half off the rack rate. For a similar, cheaper, but less grand old property, consider the Olivier House. They complain a lot about that place too.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank ken d
soniat1133, Owner at Soniat House, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
" Money pit/labor of love" That is the most accurate description of our business that I have ever heard. Thank you for appreciating the situation.
FYI Coffee is available self serve on both courtyards from 6 AM with the choice of a ceramic mug or a "go cup." The night man will happily provide it even earlier if requested. There is no charge of course. Breakfast service begins at 7:15. From 7:15 on a pot of coffee , a pitcher of hot milk and a "Petit Fleur" mug will be brought to a guest room on a silver tray on at a charge of $4 per person. That is not much more than a café au lait at the coffee house and I agree with you that it is a much more elegant and convenient way to enjoy your morning coffee.
Please don't wait until next September - we would like to see you soon.
Thank you so very much for spending your valuable time writing your review.
Santa Barbara, CA
Reviewed 24 September 2013 via mobile

I have been to New Orleans several times for JazzFest . I have never had the "Old World" charm and experience of New Orleans as I have had with staying at the Soniat. My husband, who is a history buff had only visited this last 2013 JazzFest when it was incredibly cold. We were given a gift to stay at the Soniat House for our 38th wedding anniversary. Although everyone reviews the concierge, Ervin as fantastic, and he is , one must give praise to the other as, Michelle, Mitchell, and, I am so sorry for not remembering everyone's name. All the staff at Soniat House make one feel as though they are at home. We were treated with such respect and congeniality that I can't imagine staying elsewhere. The Soniat helped us find. reservations for dinners and tours. I am convinced that we had reservations which were honored at the busiest restaurants because of the Soniat's reputation. There is nothing like going to New Orleans most popular places to eat, knowing that others have to wait almost 90 minutes, yet, being seated when you tell the maitre de your name. If you want a quiet place to stay in the quarter with old European charm, please consider this "home".

Stayed September 2013
1 Thank evad5
soniat1133, Owner at Soniat House, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words. We are proud of our entire staff.
You are correct about the restaurants. The better restaurants do indeed give the Soniat House special treatment but it is not because of us. It is because of our wonderful guests. We get feedback often from the restaurants that our guests arrive on time ( If they are delayed the hotel calls the restaurant ), properly dressed, appreciative of the service and the food and are simply a delight to serve. The guests deserve the accolades, not us.

Let us plan something wonderful for you 40th if not before.
Madisonville, Louisiana
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We are locals, who also travel extensively, my wife always wanted to stay a night here due to great press on this hotel, and we had an occasion to do so this weekend. Things my wife loved--the location, the kind staff, the historic property, the antiques, the fine linens, china, honor bar, the cats, courtyard, breakfast. Things not so great--the noise, we were placed in a queen room (21) facing the street, of all the rooms the WORST for noise, despite requesting in advance, a quiet, courtyard- facing king room. Irritating, but we were late for dinner due to delay in checkin (more on that later), so just had to roll with it. Asked for bucket of ice for champagne, got a very small regular ice bucket, then after we had returned from dinner, looking forward to having the rest of the bottle, they had taken the champagne out of the bucket we had somehow managed to wedge the champagne in and then covered to keep cold, and had the champagne sitting out on the counter! Wanted to hurriedly print tickets to the play we were late for on their computer, I had to give up, keyboard letters gone and I don't have them memorized. Checkin took a long time, they apparently had some crisis going on and it took several of their people talking about this for a LONG time, delaying the checkin for lots of folks. Asked for a newspaper with breakfast, forgotten, didn't have the heart to send the guy back up and down those stairs. The room was lit all night from a high transom window, due to huge chandelier in outside hallway left on all night. Ok, next morning I saw that I could have gotten up after all good fellows had maybe safely travelled hallway to their rooms, put on my robe, walked down a long hall and turned it out, but really? This hall services several rooms, after a decent hour, couldn't an employee just come turn it off? Despite all, The Wife really likes the bones of this hotel, so she mentions the room problems in the morning to the girl at checkout. She says we should have requested these things, wife says we did, girl then looks at reservation and sees we did, murmurs of sorry, we had a big wedding party here, next time don't book on SLH, etc., well heck, just call us personally next time. Really, and no free breakfast or upgrade through SLH then? O............K. So, the purpose of this detailed review is to gently tell them, get it together folks and you could have the best authentic New Orleans luxury property in town, as we have checked out all of them many times and know. Let us know if things change. I believe my wife wants to stay there again, but those of you with reservations, get all these things straight personally with them beforehand, and let me know if things improve.

Room Tip: Don't go for room 21 on the street if you don't like noise. However, the balcony on street...
3 Thank odyssseus
soniat1133, Owner at Soniat House, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
I am so sorry that your check-in was delayed. Ervin and Edina were desperately trying to find a way to get luggage left behind to Lafayette by morning- not an easy feat. I must admit that I did not see you standing where you were and thought that the couple enjoying their cocktails were the only ones in the room. As soon as I saw you I asked who was first and it was agreed that you had arrived first. I apologized and Ervin proceeded to check you in. When you came back to print your theatre tickets we rebooted the sitting room computer for you but as you were in a hurry we offered you the use of the Front Desk computer. Yes we have worn out the letters on the keyboard but that isn't a problem for the employees who use it all day, every day. I checked and all of our reservation keyboards are missing the letters too but the computer for the guests use does indeed still have all of the letters on the keyboard.
I am very surprised by your complaint of noise heard in room #21. It is our most requested room because of the balcony access. As you undoubtedly know Chartres Street is closed to through traffic at Jackson Square. I will admit to having once had a complaint about the horses hooves when the carriages pass.
We unfortunately cannot legally have a dark hallway in the hotel but had you called the Desk the chandelier could have possibly been dimmed.
The Times-Picayune unfortunately no longer prints a Saturday edition.
I hope that you will give us another chance. Please do book through Small Luxury Hotels but give us a call first to be sure that we have a king bedded room available. Better yet since you are just across the Causeway give me a call and lets see if we can arrange a return visit that will make you "really, really like this place."
It hurts me when someone is not happy at Soniat House and I would like a chance to make it better.
Frances Smith
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Our whole experience at Soniat House was over the top. We had a Grand Suite & our friends had a Junior Suite. Both wonderful! Quiet at night, service was so gracious and the beds are the best! Great location for walking the whole French Quarter and a short nighttime walk to Frenchmen's Street for the music scene. We'll never stay anywhere else!

Room Tip: Grand Suites are spectacular but Junior Suites are fantastic as well!
Thank you . Santa Fe.

We appreciate you taking the time to write.

Come back soon.
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 21 September 2013

The interiors of the hotel give you a feel for what old world New Orleans was like, and blends in well with its environs in the Latin Quarter. The hotel is well located, and is within an easy walk of most places of interest in town. The rooms have period furniture, but don't lack in mod cons like wifi (free), air conditioning & great showers. The rooms at the front of the hotel have access to the balcony overlooking the street (you can step out through the windows) but get the sounds of the street. You're better off in one of the inside rooms. The hotel has a tie up with the neighbourhood health club in case you'd like to use the gym & pool.
Bill at the front desk is a wealth of information on where to go & what to do in New Orleans, and we ended up with some of the best meals we've ever had thanks to his guidance. He also steered us clear of tacky Bourbon Street, and made sure we got to the real jazz & blues bars on Frenchman Street - which we probably wouldn't have heard of otherwise.
The hotel only serves breakfast (great biscuits & orange juice, NOLA coffee) but the restaurants in town make for great dining out - I'd specially recommend Irene's & Coop, both suggested by the Soniat House team !

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Voyager712
soniat1133, Owner at Soniat House, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
All the way from Mumbai! I am so happy that your were please with your stay in New Orleans. I hope that you tried the gumbo at Coops.
I have visited your city where I also found everyone to be very gracious and helpful. I hope to get back to India soon and hope that you will return to New Orleans also.
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Soniat House is the perfect refuge from a day/evening in New Orleans. It's right in the French Quarter but off the main streets. After a fabulous day you return to Soniat and are welcomed by the charm of yesteryear from the service to the decor; the ambiance of the hotel is something I will not forget. Here you can savor the charm of New Orleans rather than be hit with the contradiction of a modern hotel after exploring the history, architecture, life of New Orleans. We can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Choose a suite for a special experience.
1 Thank Donay Q
soniat1133, Owner at Soniat House, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Guests like you are our reason to exist. Words really can't tell you how fulfilled we feel when we receive a review like yours.
Please do come visit us again very soon.
Thank you again for your kind words.