“A voice from the past”

Ranked #99 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
West Orange, New Jersey
“A voice from the past”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Stayed at the Soniat House years ago many times- a wonderful place - the real New Orleans.

Leave the chain hotels for the mass market. Do not understand the negative comments - must have stayed at a different property.

Room Tip: The suites are wonderful
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank raymond p

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 4 August 2014

The Soniat House was such an amazing experience. It was luxurious and the staff was wonderful, without ever being in your face. In fact, I often said to my husband that it felt like no one was there at all, until the moment you wanted or needed anything, and then they were very attentive. It felt like such a truly cultural experience, staying in an old, gorgeous home. The rooms are all unique, and maintain their original charm, even if that means they are without some of the modern "amenities" of a larger hotel. In my mind, you miss nothing at all! Even though you are just blocks away from Bourbon Street, it feels like a world away. I loved having drinks on the upstairs balcony with my family, watching people go by on the street below. Oh, and can't forget about the homemade biscuits and jam, along with fresh oj and coffee every morning in the little garden courtyard. It was just amazing - I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Our room on the street level was very close to the street, and could have been a tiny bit noisy, tho...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank mmsparrow821
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 23 July 2014

My husband and I recently spent 3 nights at the Soniat House. It came highly regarded by a trusted friend, and I am pleased that we chose to stay there.

Room: We booked a junior suite, but was upgraded upon our arrival. Our room was across the street and overlooked a beautiful courtyard. The room itself was large, with a bedroom and living room. The size of living room could have accommodated more furniture and perhaps a larger sofa would have been nice, but the pieces themselves fit with the antique aesthetic of the property and room. The room otherwise was tastefully appointed, and the bed was comfortable and the bathtub was large and very nice. My only complaint about the room would be that the window shades should open. I understand that it may be for privacy reasons, but there were times when I wanted to see outside and not being able to made me feel a little claustrophobic. There was one large window that had drapes that could, but otherwise the room was quite dark.

Services: There is an honour bar, and good wifi. The staff was all lovely and I enjoyed chatting with them. The biscuits and coffee in the morning are a nice option, but perhaps a bit $ for what you get. Nevertheless, eating them in the courtyard was so peaceful and a great way to start the day.

Location: I loved the location. It was far away from the craziness of Bourbon, and there were some great options for food and drink nearby. Also, its proximity to Frenchmen street was perfect.

This hotel allows you to enjoy the historic aspect of the French quarter. It is not perfect, but that is what's charming about it. If you like old houses, or appreciate architecture and history then I think this would be a great choice. If you are a sucker for straight up luxury, then you may be left wanting more.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AEMcJ
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with a stay at Soniat House. Unless you have little regard for historic sites and genuine southern hospitality and charm. Yes, there are modern luxuries you may need to live without here (like one other reviewer, our bathroom didn't have hooks for robes!) but, really, why would you choose a modern hotel in a city such as New Orleans? That seems counter-intuitive to me. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The people here are lovely (Irvin, Calvin!) and extremely helpful - we asked so many questions about NO history and directions to here-and-there and recommendations (what's the best burger in town - Port 'O Call!) - and every question was answered. The courtyard at night is absolutely lovely - candle lit. What a treat to sit out there in the evenings.

I do agree with another reviewer that the breakfast biscuits ought to be complimentary ($12.95 per person is a bit steep). But that's a minor point.

Thanks to all who made our stay so enjoyable~

Room Tip: We were in Rm 29 (higher floor). Lovely. Not a huge room, but big enough. And very private. Loved it...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SuperSneak
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Upon entering the the doors, it felt as if we had arrived in a magical land of peace and quiet. The busyness of the street and the people didn't enter those doors at all. My husband and I spent three nights here and were elated at what we found at this perfect retreat. We had made last minute plans to elope and the only room available was the superior room recommended for the single traveler. However, the room we had (10) was plenty for us. The bed was like sleeping on a cloud, the amenities were of the highest quality and modern. We had everything we could possibly want and need. The staff was personable and very knowledgeable in every way. We felt like royalty at all times but especially while eating a scrumptious breakfast of homemade biscuits, jam, coffee and fresh squeezed orange juice each morning. Fine restaurants, music venues, and any other activity is within walking distance. It's close enough to anything you may want and need. I cannot recommend this gem of a hotel enough. It's a perfect blend of old and modern with a distinct personality and charm that's all it's own. I've been to New Orleans many times over the last 20 years and have stayed in many hotels but this one, to me is by far the very best. We plan on celebrating every anniversary here at Soniat House. Thank you for wonderful memories past and future.

Room Tip: Our room (10) was in the front of the building and we were concerned about street noise but there wa...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank maryrountree
Collierville, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I have stayed at the Soniat House several times since 2007, alone and with my husband. When you walk through the green doors into the courtyard, you step back into time, into a world where service and soft spoken manners were once considered de rigeur. I have stayed in two of the grand suites, #64, which is located across the street, and #28. Each one is appointed with treasures from the past, and if you enjoy soft sheets, and exquisite decor, then this is your oasis.

Wrought iron balconies, ceiling fans, the smell of creole coffee wafting up the stairs. One of New Orleans' best restaurants is just a block down the street. Located in the Quarter, you are within walking distance of just about anything your heart may desire.

The Soniat House is my retreat whenever I am in New Orleans, and I would urge anyone who appreciates the elegance of the old over the new to make sure to make this your choice of respite.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank ElizabethWeimer
London, England
Reviewed 3 June 2014

My husband and I were celebrating our 10 year wedding anniversary having stayed at the delightful Soniat House in 2004, we wanted to return. It was all the things we remembered and more. We had a magical stay in this little idyll within the French Quarter. Our room was as gorgeous as we remember it and the team at Soniat House were so accommodating we didn't want to leave!

For a relaxing, tranquil, romantic and beautiful stay, this hotel has it in spades!

Room Tip: We have stayed on both sides (in the main hotel and the opposite building) and loved the suite that...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple