“Chime B & B offers tranquility in the midst of the busy city” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chimes Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Chimes Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #13 of 139 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Lindale, Texas, United States
“Chime B & B offers tranquility in the midst of the busy city”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2011

Our recent stay at The Chimes Bed & Breakfast couldn't have been better. Room # 3 had everything that we needed to make our visit both comfortable and pleasant. Breakfast was made special with fresh French pastries & tasty fruit. The innkeeper Jill gave us handy information concerning the best restaurants and interesting destinations. New Orleans is an amazing city & we hope to stay at The Chimes again in the near future.

Room Tip: Room #3 has both courtyard & street entrances--very convenient!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Judy K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2011

I found Chimes listed as one of Frommer's best hotel bets. I then read the reviews on tripadvisor and checked out their website. I enjoy staying at B&Bs in general, but I especially wanted to book one for this trip because I wanted to support a local business in New Orleans. I found the price fair and the rooms interesting. I liked the videos about each room on the website. I could see that the owners, Jill and Charles, took great pride in their home and B&B and that appealed to me.

Another factor in my choosing the Chimes was that I did not want to rent a car or rely on taxis. The property is equidistant from the St. Charles Streetcar and Magazine St. buses - about 4 blocks each way. It was very convenient. At our first breakfast, I asked Jill about the $12 3-day transportation passes she sells. She said the city had lowered the rate of the day pass to $3 so it was better for us to buy it through the drivers. My husband and I appreciated that honesty.

I found our room to be a great size (Room 4). It had a good size closet and a desk with enough space to spread guidebooks and maps out. I liked the drawers that were in the bathroom because I like to lay my toiletries out instead of rifling in my travel kit. The bed was comfortable and had two soft pillows and two firm pillows. I liked that they thought of that. We also loved the art that was in the room. AND, the internet works. Everywhere. Full bars. They have 2 wireless hubs you can hook up to. I've been to B&Bs where they advertise free wireless and it ends up being incredibly weak. This was a pleasant surprise.

There was an informative packet in the room and was really jazzed to find out they have bug spray in a basket in the courtyard. (We packed just carry on and we couldn't find a small enough container of spray to fit into our ziplocks. Sure, I could have walked to the Wal-Mart and gotten a bottle, but I didn't have to! Hooray! The basket also had sunscreen but we didn't need it. But now we know we don't need to pack it next time we go to NO.) The packet also has great restaurant information. Every place that we went to that was on that list was spot on and pretty fantastic.

I loved breakfast. There is fresh bread and various baked treats that Jill picks up every morning from a local bakery, butter, jam, cheese, ripe fruit, OJ, coffee, tea - sometimes this fruit with yogurt and granola and honey (so good).

I am not a great conversationalist in the mornings and my husband and I tend to be on the introverted side. Jill was/is warm and welcoming and a wonderful host. She made us feel very comfortable even though we were at a table with strangers. There ended up being some really interesting conversations at the breakfast. We usually ended up lingering at the table. It was a fun way to start the day and get ideas about what to do and where to go from other guests.

We had a great time in New Orleans and a big part of it was staying at the Chimes. We are looking forward to visiting the city again and booking a room here.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank spec80
Alexandria, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2011

My husband and I recently stayed 3 nights and loved the cottage like feel of it all. Our friends stayed one night and it was so pleasant to sit in the courtyard with drinks and just talk. The rooms were unique, clean and comfortable. Jill, the owner made it easy to identify and get to restaurants, some within walking distance and others just a streetcar ride away. Fresh fruits and breads in the mornings were a perfect start for the day. We will do again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wanda c
Santa Fe, New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2011

The Chimes was a quiet, quaint hide-away from the crowds in the French Quarter. However, the hustle and bustle was only minutes away because of the inn's location near the St. Charles streetcar line. Best of both worlds. The bed was comfy. The courtyard all rooms open to was a shady oasis. If you stay at B&B's to indulge in a big, hearty breakfast then you'll be disappointed here. Coffee, fruit, pastries, and cheese were the standard fare.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ddp-on-the-go
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

My daughter and I recently stayed at the Chimes B&B and they went out of their way to make us feel at home. They made a special exception to allow my infant daughter to stay there and were very helpful in making sure we were comfortable. Jill was so sweet and I loved spending the morning with her in the kitchen while she prepared breakfast. She is very warm and makes you feel like you've been friends for years. I would definitely stay at the Chimes again next time I'm in NOLA.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank AZavala
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2011

As a newbie to NOLA booking our stay at The Chimes did not disappoint. It truly lived up to its reputation. The location is great, situated in a beautiful residential neighborhood but within walking distance to some fine restaurant, interesting shops and historical points of interest. The street car is just a few short blocks away and with an unlimited Jazzy pass commuting into the city was a breeze. The rooms are very well appointed and spotless, the bed comfy and the setting is just lovely. Breakfast every morning was grand, plenty of fresh fruit, fresh juices, cheeses, baguettes, fresh baked pastries and good coffee. Breakfast is a highlight for me, sitting at a communal large table it gives you the chance to interact with other guests and of course your host, Jill. Jill is a wealth of information, anything from restaurant recommendations to which jazz clubs are a must plus she has countless other ideas and suggestions all of which to make your stay a memorable one. I plan to return the same time next year and would highly recommend this charming B&B.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lacuoca
us
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

The BEST place to stay in the Garden District! Actually: THE BEST place to stay in all of New Orleans! Hands down, Jill and Charles go above and beyond to meet all guests' needs and each have such delightful personalities. It's my #1 home away from home when traveling to Louisiana. Great for all types: romantic get away, girls weekend, family vacation, and business. Highly recommend!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business