“Quintessential New Orleans”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Chimes Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #14 of 141 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 October 2011

This was our sixth visit to New Orleans since our daughter started at Tulane (and she's only a sophomore!) and we've stayed at a different B&B or small hotel each time, just to explore the city. The Chimes is our favorite - authentic New Orleans feel with charming rooms opening into a lovely inner courtyard, generous delicious breakfasts and the best hosts one could ask for. Proprietors are incredibly knowledgable and enthusiastic about the city and we found ourselves lingering over breakfast just to chat with Jill about NOLA history and politics, the Treme TV show and, of course, food and restaurants! We're done looking for the perfect place to stay - this is it!

Room Tip: Anything opening into the courtyard - lovely to sit outside in the evenings.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank CAIDDurhamNH

Reviewed 23 October 2011

I loved this place. We stayed in their carriage house (three of us) and loved it. The place was well decorated and super clean. The courtyard is wonderful and at least one night we preferred to sit there and drink the beer and wine provided by the B&B for a small fee than hit the town. I would definitely recommend staying here. The one drawback (which is perhaps why the place is so affordable) is how far it is from the French Quarter. However, the streetcar goes right by there and we never had any problems coming and going. Just takes slightly longer. Jill, the owner, is also super nice and extremely knowledgeable of the area. Breakfast was magnificent.

Room Tip: If you're a couple and a friend or family member, I strongly recommend the carriage house. It wo...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank xa_chicago
Reviewed 17 October 2011

I could not have been more pleased with the accommodations. Jill (owner) was very helpful in regards to places to eat and things to see. She also provided me with taxi information with drivers she trusts. It was a great visit and I will absolutely be back! There is nothing negative to report. The only thing is, if you're looking for a lavish breakfast this isn't the place. She always has fresh pastries, bread, fruit and juice but NOLA laws don't allow you to cook for your guests. If that is the thing you are interested in, find another B&B that breaks the law :)

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank TravelDoc4
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Our recent stay at The Chimes Bed & Breakfast couldn't have been better. Room # 3 had everything that we needed to make our visit both comfortable and pleasant. Breakfast was made special with fresh French pastries & tasty fruit. The innkeeper Jill gave us handy information concerning the best restaurants and interesting destinations. New Orleans is an amazing city & we hope to stay at The Chimes again in the near future.

Room Tip: Room #3 has both courtyard & street entrances--very convenient!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Judy K
Reviewed 5 October 2011

I found Chimes listed as one of Frommer's best hotel bets. I then read the reviews on tripadvisor and checked out their website. I enjoy staying at B&Bs in general, but I especially wanted to book one for this trip because I wanted to support a local business in New Orleans. I found the price fair and the rooms interesting. I liked the videos about each room on the website. I could see that the owners, Jill and Charles, took great pride in their home and B&B and that appealed to me.

Another factor in my choosing the Chimes was that I did not want to rent a car or rely on taxis. The property is equidistant from the St. Charles Streetcar and Magazine St. buses - about 4 blocks each way. It was very convenient. At our first breakfast, I asked Jill about the $12 3-day transportation passes she sells. She said the city had lowered the rate of the day pass to $3 so it was better for us to buy it through the drivers. My husband and I appreciated that honesty.

I found our room to be a great size (Room 4). It had a good size closet and a desk with enough space to spread guidebooks and maps out. I liked the drawers that were in the bathroom because I like to lay my toiletries out instead of rifling in my travel kit. The bed was comfortable and had two soft pillows and two firm pillows. I liked that they thought of that. We also loved the art that was in the room. AND, the internet works. Everywhere. Full bars. They have 2 wireless hubs you can hook up to. I've been to B&Bs where they advertise free wireless and it ends up being incredibly weak. This was a pleasant surprise.

There was an informative packet in the room and was really jazzed to find out they have bug spray in a basket in the courtyard. (We packed just carry on and we couldn't find a small enough container of spray to fit into our ziplocks. Sure, I could have walked to the Wal-Mart and gotten a bottle, but I didn't have to! Hooray! The basket also had sunscreen but we didn't need it. But now we know we don't need to pack it next time we go to NO.) The packet also has great restaurant information. Every place that we went to that was on that list was spot on and pretty fantastic.

I loved breakfast. There is fresh bread and various baked treats that Jill picks up every morning from a local bakery, butter, jam, cheese, ripe fruit, OJ, coffee, tea - sometimes this fruit with yogurt and granola and honey (so good).

I am not a great conversationalist in the mornings and my husband and I tend to be on the introverted side. Jill was/is warm and welcoming and a wonderful host. She made us feel very comfortable even though we were at a table with strangers. There ended up being some really interesting conversations at the breakfast. We usually ended up lingering at the table. It was a fun way to start the day and get ideas about what to do and where to go from other guests.

We had a great time in New Orleans and a big part of it was staying at the Chimes. We are looking forward to visiting the city again and booking a room here.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank spec80
Reviewed 20 September 2011

My husband and I recently stayed 3 nights and loved the cottage like feel of it all. Our friends stayed one night and it was so pleasant to sit in the courtyard with drinks and just talk. The rooms were unique, clean and comfortable. Jill, the owner made it easy to identify and get to restaurants, some within walking distance and others just a streetcar ride away. Fresh fruits and breads in the mornings were a perfect start for the day. We will do again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wanda c
Reviewed 28 August 2011

The Chimes was a quiet, quaint hide-away from the crowds in the French Quarter. However, the hustle and bustle was only minutes away because of the inn's location near the St. Charles streetcar line. Best of both worlds. The bed was comfy. The courtyard all rooms open to was a shady oasis. If you stay at B&B's to indulge in a big, hearty breakfast then you'll be disappointed here. Coffee, fruit, pastries, and cheese were the standard fare.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple