“The perfect place to stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Chimes Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #12 of 140 New Orleans B&B and Inns
“The perfect place to stay”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We visited over Memorial weekend. I had never stayed in a B & B before, so didn't know what to expect. Jill and Charles couldn't have been nicer. It started with advice and phone numbers on getting there from the airport. Then being greeted by Jill, who gave us a tour, loaned us guide books and maps. Then every morning sitting down to a delicious breakfast and Jill sitting down and asking everyone what they were doing that day and giving advise how to get there and if there was areas that weren't safe or not. She even had bus passes to sell. It was so easy to get around. The rooms were so nice and very clean. Every detail was thought through. I would definately recommend to family and friends.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Ithaca
Reviewed 24 May 2014

The Chimes is my Touchstone place to stay in New Orleans. I have given myself the gift of promising Self that husband and I will stay there. Our stay at the Chimes is part and parcel of what makes New Orleans magical for us. It is a beautiful home away from home; each detail is perfectly executed. I cannot say enough wonderful things about our hostess, Jill. She is a warm and lovely person who feels like a Friend. The rooms are cool and comfortable; the beds are so comfortable, the towels and linens as nice as could be. The breakfasts include gorgeous fruit and cheese platters, and the extremely generous offerings of baked goods (delicious pastries, croissants, fresh loaves, etc.) are from one of the top New Orleans bakery, retrieved first thing in the morning. There is often another prepared breakfast specialty as well. You will be in a leafy lovely part of town, just a block or two from the trolley or bus. Wonderful cafes, restaurants, and shops are within an easy walk.
Believe me, once you stay, you will join the ranks of The Chimes fans!

Room Tip: We stayed at The Chimes twice: both rooms were wonderful!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Bryan, Texas
Reviewed 21 May 2014

There are many phases to finding a great bed and breakfast experience. While each phase was perfectly executed by Jill and Charles (and children), I want to break it up and give you a glimpse of the five perfect days spent at The Chimes.

Reservations: My reservations should have been a nightmare, but Jill expertly guided me through the process. The original plan was to travel to New Orleans for business, stay in a hotel provided by work in the Quarter and then move to The Chimes and say for two days as a “vacation” before returning home. So I booked two nights in the Carriage House. The work trip fell through and I decided to still go but stay the entire time at The Chimes. Due to it being Tulane graduation weekend, they were booked. However, Jill offered us a room just off the kitchen which she warned was noisy. I appreciated her candid honesty and booked it. We spent the first few nights there and then moved to the Carriage House.

Payment: Payment was due in advance of the stay (standard for the industry) and I will say I was a bit stressed. Due to my work trip being canceled they agreed to pay for part of the stay while I needed to pay the remainder. Jill handled this confusion with a high level of professionalism and efficiency.
Arrival: Our flight was pushed back and then we were later put on standby. So our arrival time changed three times. This didn’t faze Jill and Charles. Charles greeted us when we arrived, showed us the property and helped us settle into our room. Within minutes we were armed with a map Charles loaned us and were off exploring New Orleans’ Magazine Street – just a few blocks from The Chimes.

Breakfast: I am floored to see other people who have left reviews feel the need to put a negative slant on the breakfast served at The Chimes. Jill drives to a local French bakery each morning and brings back some of the finest breads and pastries I’ve ever had in the U.S. The baker is a classical trained French pastry chef who still travels to France each year to learn more about his craft. My favorite was the Olive Bread that released steam when I broke it in half because it was so fresh out of the baker’s oven. Combined with the fresh fruit that is cut up each morning, local coffee, fine tea and orange juice, I never cared for anything more than what was offered. Other guests had special dietary needs (gluten free) and I noticed Jill was willing to meet their needs. If you take a quick glance at Bed and Breakfasts across New Orleans, you will find none of them offer a gourmet cooked breakfast unless they have a commercial kitchen onsite as it is against city code. My suggestion is to stick with a bed and breakfast that is part of the Professional Innkeepers Association of New Orleans as they follow city rules and are the most professional inns you will find throughout the city. While there, we watched a story on a local news channel about unlicensed/unapproved bed and breakfasts that are sprouting up around the city. The lack of attention to detail by these “rogue inns” can cause problems on a variety of fronts. I can assure you that The Chimes takes every step to be efficient, safe and enjoyable and come highly recommended.

Advice: As a longtime resident of New Orleans, Jill gave us great pointers on where to go hear music and see New Orleans from a local’s perspective. In fact, she even invited us to attend a show with her at a local music venue on the night we arrived. I will admit we were both so tired that we probably didn’t seem interested, but the band Jill exposed us to was outstanding as was the venue. Her advice on where to eat, how to use public transportation, who ask for when special assistance might be needed or just giving her opinion when asked was much appreciated. Her pointers were spot on and we never had a less than stellar experience when following her advice.

We have already booked again and will be back many more times. It was an exciting trip made successful by a wonderful family who takes pride in sharing their home to people who want a taste of a city they love to call home.

So, what are you waiting for? Book now!

Room Tip: Stop hesitating, book now, it's the perfect place for anyone wanting to experience New Orleans w...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CoryCart
nolarain, Owner at Chimes Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Wow! What can we say except, thank you for loving everything at the Chimes and in New Orleans, as well. Cory and Boone were the perfect tourist combing every neighborhood on public transportation, dropping into quirky neighborhood eateries, walking-walking-walking, and enjoying every minute of their visit to New Orleans. Both contributed so much to our breakfast table and our children who are both home for a short period of time. Thank you, Cory for posting such a detailed review of your stay. Love love love
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We have traveled to the New Orleans Jazz Fest for the past 5 years and wouldn't think of staying anywhere else. The "Chimes" feels like coming home. We can always count on being treated like family by Jill and her family. We all have choices and if you're used to staying in a hotel with a bath and a bed, you just might want to experience a bit more of New Orleans' warmth and charm by visiting the "Chimes." Jill's breakfast table is a great way to start the day...if you like meeting and sharing coffee with people who come from all corners of the world.

Norman & Sandra Gauthier

Room Tip: Each room has its own personality and charm. We like the one we are in which we return to each year...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Sandra and Norm, thank you for telling the world about us. Jazz Fest is such a special time on the property and it wouldn't be the same without you both. Let's keep the good times going, the music discussions continuing and the good friendships solid.
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We were married here 20 years ago and chose this spot to celebrate our 20th anniversary as well. Couldn't have been happier...forever a fabulous start to the rest of our lives! I would highly recommend a stay in beautiful B&B; it's updated, romantic, and within walking distance to a variety of lovely shops and restaurants. Jill is amazing, breakfast is fresh and delicious, and the private courtyard is beautiful and relaxing. I hope to celebrate many more anniversaries there as well!

Room Tip: rooms are elegantly small...but beautiful courtyard and lots to do in Nola. Pick the larger 2 story...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
san francisco bay area
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Loved the chimes in New Orleans. Charming courtyard where we could visit with friends. Nice,quiet neighborhood. Jill ,the owner, made our trip so pleasant by recommending places to go and great places to eat. Definitely would revisit the Chimes. Marilyn Callaghan,California

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank creekside9
Denver
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We stayed at the Chimes for a few days with two other couples, one of whom had been there before. The Chimes is a bit funky with small rooms and beds so high I practically had to vault onto the bed at night. Linens were nice and there were some nice antiques in the room but overall I was disappointed.

When I think of a B&B I anticipate good food but the food here was just adequate compared to experiences I've had elsewhere. Breakfast every morning consisted of coffee or tea and orange juice. There was also bread and pastries and fruit and cheese. One morning there were hard boiled eggs. But there was nothing special about the food. The owner, Jill, was very knowledgeable about restaurants and attractions in New Orleans so that was helpful. Her husband is maître de at Arnaud's a lovely restaurant so we went there and had a great meal and terrific service. We were comped a dessert and an appetizer courtesy of the husband so that was nice.

There is a nice courtyard where we sat in the evenings for wine and cheese before dinner. So there were a few things that were attractive there but next time we go to New Orleans I think I'll skip The Chimes.

Room Tip: Our friends who had been there before had the best room in the house. It's in the corner and is...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Marilyn S
We had a good time with you and your friends during your stay at the Chimes B&B. Even when we try out best we cannot please everyone. Our breakfast is the best it can be, keeping in mind that our City license does not allow cooking. Daily, the fresh bread and pastries are picked-up, early morning at the bakery, before guests arrive in the dining room. The multiple bowls of fruit are cut each morning as well. It is unfortunate that you had a different expectation and we will look at publicizing our menu more prominently on our website. Thank you for offering your opinion as we ALWAYS consider comments very carefully.