“Great place to stay while visiting New Orleans”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Chimes Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #14 of 142 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 June 2009

My high school girlfriends and I spent two nights at The Chimes while we were on our road trip in the South. It was a wonderful experience and we hated to leave. The rooms were clean, nicely decorated and comfortable. The morning breakfast was excellent and the hosts were a wealth of knowledge on New Orleans.
The trolley (within 2 blocks) runs to downtown and the French Quarter which makes it nice if you don't want to fool with taking a car...parking, traffic, etc.
The area is quiet and safe feeling which we appreciated as women traveling alone. Can't wait to go back..

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank allaboutfeet

Reviewed 3 May 2009

My wife Connie and I were both really happy to have stayed at the Chimes, especially since we'd never been to New Orleans before and didn't really know where to start in deciding on accommodations. Our room was truly cozy without being cramped, and nicely furnished, with a comfortable bed, a good reading light (hard to find sometimes in B & B's), spacious closet, comfortable bathroom with skylight, and french doors giving out onto the courtyard, which would have been a great place to hang out if it hadn't been raining so much when we were there. We found the morning discussions around the dining room table very engaging, the coffee excellent, and the breakfast fixings delicious (fresh baked goods, fresh fruit, bread, cheese, juice, cereal.) Ask Jill to show you her photo slide show from Katrina and the aftermath. Did I mention Jill? She (like so many others we met) obviously loves this city and really enjoys trying to steer you toward its best features. She gave us some great suggestions for where to hear music, as well as some added appreciation for the musical culture of New Orleans, including jazz funerals. Also good suggestions on restaurants, walking tours, and just about anything else we asked about. We are recommending the Chimes to everyone we talk to, and we hope to return soon. I see one of the other reviews says you really need a car if you're at this location. We didn't have one and didn't feel like we missed it. Of course, now the St. Charles street car is back in business, and it's really easy to hop on and get to most of the major destinations, from Audubon Zoo to the French Quarter. And there are many good restaurants within walking distance of the B & B. Also, the wind chimes definitely didn't keep us awake at night. I will say that a contractor working across the street did wake me up one morning earlier than I wanted. I think the rooms attached to the main house are probably a little quieter than ours, which opened to the street along side of the main house. But it's a quiet neighborhood. Oh, bring an umbrella in March. And stay at the Chimes!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank homegrown_music
Reviewed 15 April 2009

First time in New Orleans and we weren't sure where to stay. I am so glad we chose Chimes. It's located in a beautiful, quiet residential neighborhood filled with historic homes. The "continental" breakfast is more than that; it was pastries from a local bakery, lots of fruit, cheeses, breads, coffee, tea, etc. Believe me, after eating dinner in New Orleans you don't necessarily want a heavy breakfast! Our room was cleaned every day and the hosts were very accommodating and knowledgeable about the city. They gave great recommendations for trips and restaurants and I loved that we could walk to so many shops and great restaurants.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kj1Ohio
Reviewed 22 January 2009

This is a very nice propety. We stayed in Guest room 2, and really enjoyed the historic feel. There is plenty of room and it is very comfortable. It was also very quiet, even with the other rooms all occupied.

It's an easy walk to the streetcar on St. Charles to get down to Canal Street. It's also easy to walk down to Magazine Street and enjoy some interesting shops and restaurants. The neighborhood is also nice to stroll through.

Breakfast is nice with pastries, breads, cheese and fruit.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank hoos90
Reviewed 13 June 2008

On Memorial Day weekend, we were torn between a hotel special in central NOLA, or this B&B. Considering that the hotels usually charge $35-40 for daily parking on top of the hotel taxes, we chose to stay at the Chimes because the price was all-inclusive. My boyfriend and I love B&Bs because they are more intimate & comfortable, "a home away from home," and they offer more personalized service: ie traveling advice from the knowledgable homeowners. The Chimes B&B was exactly what we were looking for and I am so glad that we decided to stay there.

We stayed in the first guest room, which was so unique in architecture and absolutely charming. I highly recommend everyone choose this room. It had a leather sofa, daybed, tv and bathroom on the first floor, and the bed was upstairs on the second floor loft. I liked how all the rooms had their own private entrance so you didn't disturb any other guests late at night.

The B&B was a couple blocks from the St. Charles streetcar, which came in handy when you wanted to get into town. It was also a couple blocks from Magazine street, which had lots of boutiques and fantastic restaurants. I loved how the B&B was situated in a neighborhood with victorian homes and it made walking to your destinations more enjoyable.

A couple tips: pack light (it was extremely humid when we went and I felt like I was sweating buckets at 7 am to 11 pm walking outside), avoid Bourbon St at night (unless you like boobie bars and drunk men asking you to flash for penny beads), ask Jill for help (she was so accommodating and friendly, I wanted to sit and chat with her all weekend).

If I ever come back to NOLA, I will definitely come back to the Chimes!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TravelSeeker22
Reviewed 19 May 2008

OK, I'm a snob and into the hotels w/notorioty and 5 star ratings but totally fell in awe with this B&B. My son got a new apartment while attending Tulane University and I booked a flight to visit. Stupid me didn't know that New OIrleans that week-end was hosting numerous conventions and couldn't get a room. I was able to get a room at THE CHIMES as a result of a last minute cancellation.

Five years later and a MBA degree I had the opportunity to visit this delightful establishment numerous times. I wouldn't think of staying anywhere else. The owners are sincere and just really great people. The rooms are based around a charming brick courtyard with private entrances. Great plantings and a stocked refrigerator w/beverages concealed behind a wooden door tops it off. The beverages are on the honor system with great choices of wine for $2.50 a glass,and other refreshments like beer, soda and water also at more than reasonable prices. I made it a ritual to have a glass of wine daily and enjoy the garden with a good book in hand.

Please note,... I never would have thought that this would have appealed to me at all!....

New Orleans has not lost its charm since Katrina and its residents can't be beat!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank healthkare
Reviewed 17 November 2007

I enjoy staying in B&Bs instead of hotels since most B&B owners give my stay a personal touch, offering information on the local area, restaurants, places to see, etc. And, during business travel, I find hotels to be impersonal and boring. I have to admit, my stay at the Chimes recently was not really like other B&Bs. It was more like staying with family or old friends.

Jill and Charles have operated this B&B for almost 20 years. It's pretty obvious that they know what they are doing. They aren't just opening their home to travelers. They are giving travelers a comfortable place to stay and tips on a wonderful city to explore.

The 5 Chimes B&B rooms are not really your typical "rooms in a house". 3 of the 5 rooms are rooms in the courtyard behind the house. The 2 other rooms are in the main house but access is via a courtyard door rather than a door into the house. This is nice so you can come and go without having to disrupt Jill and family who actually live in the house.

Breakfast was surprising simple at first, especially given a recent stay at another B&B in Washington where breakfast was a 5-course event. Juices, pastries, cheeses, bread, cereal, coffee, etc. Quite a bit of food if you wanted it, or just a little bit if you ate too much local food the night before. Rather than having individual tables where guests can ignore each other, Jill would sit at the big dining room table with the guests, talking about the city or politics or life in general. Charles would walk though and say hi. Neighbors would stop by for a cup of coffee and a chat. A cat would walk through. It was like no B&B that I'd ever been to. So much community and discussion, you forgot that this city is rumored to still be underwater or in a dilapidated state.

The courtyard is a peaceful, tree-shaded place to relax with a book. Jill installed a small refrigerator near the courtyard for guests who preferred a glass of wine with their book. (Payment is a small box in the fridge and the honor system)

Note that Katrina didn't necessarily cause all the damage to New Orleans, the levee breaches did. So, the water spread from Lake Pontchartrain but stopped a few blocks from the Garden District and the Chimes B&B. The neighborhood around the Chimes is just like any other neighborhood, not damaged at all.

During our stay, we met other guests who have been coming to the Chimes B&B every year for many years. At first I thought that was odd, but after our stay, I understood exactly why guests would find this B&B to be so welcoming, charming, relaxing and a great place to stay during a visit to New Orleans.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple