“My Favorite Place to Stay in New Orleans”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Chimes Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #12 of 140 New Orleans B&B and Inns
A TripAdvisor Member
“My Favorite Place to Stay in New Orleans”
Reviewed 15 January 2006

I have stayed at the Chimes at least twice a year for the last 3 years. My most recent trip was Jazz Fest 2005. The lodgings have always been stylish, comfortable, private, and clean. The owner-operators are super-friendly and offer great tips for experiencing the the city of New Orleans. They put their heart and soul into this business...for example, in the past they have gone out of their way to offer rides to Jazz Fest and back. Their breakfast table is always buzzing with interesting conversation about the city or the arts or the music...100x better than a hotel, I just pray that this little gem doesn't become so popular that I can't get a reservation!

• Stayed April 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Reviewed 7 December 2005

I absolutely loved this place. It wasn't overly "foo-foo" so it was comforatable. I was disappointed when there wasn't a traditional breakfast but the owner said that it is actually against health department codes to cook! The cheese, crossants, and fruit were to die for so it didn't matter. The part of town was perfect, away from the loud downtown scene but close to the trolley. Absolutely loved it.

• Stayed July 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Leesburg, Virginia
Reviewed 12 September 2005

I liked the owners, they were friendly and talkative. However, I took a bath, was relaxing and saw a pubic hair floating in the water. I was so extremely grossed out. :(

In addition, the room needed some work, ie bathroom needed to be repainted. I probably would not stay there again (and I haven't)

Stayed March 2003
1 Thank newyawk2000
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 21 July 2005

My wife and I spent our honeymoon in New Orleans. The best decision we made was to stay far from the French Quarter and at The Chimes. Jill, (the proprietor), and her family run a simply fabulous B&B.

Our room was more than big enough for two, with one entrance leading directly to the street (so you don't have to worry about sneaking home late after a few too many drinks, which tends to happen in New Orleans) and another entrance to the breezy, central courtyard. The bed was soft, the water hot and the furnishings clean. Each of the six rooms at The Chimes is apparently decorated in a different style: ours had a relaxing Zen feel.

The served breakfast was generous without being overly filling: plenty of fruit and cheese. Jill and her family are truly a part of the experience of staying at The Chimes: incredibly informed about the city, but happy to listen to your own adventures. (Oddly enough, the other guests we met during our stay were equally fascinating, too.) We were even lucky enough to have Java, the household cat, nap with us one afternoon.

The Chimes is expensive, but I don't think it's overpriced. Sometimes you really can get what you pay for. If you go to New Orleans to relax, stay outside the Quarter. And if you stay outside the Quarter, stay at The Chimes.

• Stayed April 2005
5 Thank gjc8
Reviewed 24 June 2004

The Chimes is a very warm and comfortable B&B. This is a great place to stay while exploring the Uptown District. Walking from The Chimes to Magazine St. or St. Charles Ave., it's hard to find a street that isn't absolutely beautiful. Guests have a lot of privacy here as all rooms have their own entrances to the brick courtyard. The hosts are charming and knowledgeable and we have enjoyed the breakfast conversations very much during our two stays here.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Woodbridge, Connecticut
Reviewed 24 March 2004

I had heard so many fabulous things about the Chimes that perhaps I expected too much. It was definitely a nice place with a certain charm to it, but it wasn't the lovely place I was expecting. Whatever happened to bed & breakfasts' actually serving breakfast? They had a continental breakfast, but if I wanted that I could stay at a hotel. I stayed in one of the outside cottages that was split-level with a tiny bathroom. Again, let me say the place was nice and I enjoyed my stay, but next time I'm in New Orleans I'll pick another b&b.

8 Thank Jennifer Y
Reviewed 11 February 2004

As a former resident of New Orleans and frequent repeat visitor, I loved The Chimes. The hosts were very helpful and we really enjoyed chatting with them and other guests over breakfast. The location gives you a real local's feel and allows you to experience a New Orleans outside the Quarter. So much more special than a hotel !!

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member