“Outstanding! I want always to stay here in New Orleans.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Chimes Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #12 of 138 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Philadelphia
“Outstanding! I want always to stay here in New Orleans.”
Reviewed 10 March 2010

I recently stayed at the Chimes with my husband after a medical procedure that left me needing more assistance than anticipated. The courtyard was delightful, the breakfast excellent, the breakfast conversation scintillating. Not only do interesting people stay there, but Jill, one of the owners, is filled with fascinating stories. In addition, she was warm, and kind, and went out of her way to help me out during the unexpected difficulty I was experiencing. It was also clear that returning guests had become friends, and at times, even family. A warm, lovely place, with exceptional owners I'd want as friends.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank viaggiatore

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Los Angeles
Reviewed 7 November 2009

This was my first trip to New Orleans and I couldn't have picked a better place to stay. The whole point of a bed and breakfast to me is a comfortable bed, good breakfast and a place that feels like a home away from home: The bed was super comfortable and the breakfast delicious! Jill, the owner (along with her husband) and hostess gets her pastries from a very well reviewed and popular bakery in town. There's also fresh fruits, fresh juice and different kinds of cheese. Jill is also wonderfully welcoming, accomodating and can give you any information you need about your stay in New Orleans. Her love for the city shows in her efforts to make your visit to this charming city the best it can be. Highly recommend...and if you don't trust me, check out her reviews on Frommers and Fodors, a reliable and unbiased source for traveling.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank ecoganik
Texas
Reviewed 9 August 2009

We stayed at the Chimes on our first trip to NO. WOW! I am not sure if all B&B's are like the Chimes but we loved it. The house was built in 1876 and the rooms are so neat how they are decorated. Lots of personal touches. Very quiet in the garden district. You park on the street or in the driveway if there's room but that was fine. Jill makes a wonderful European style breakfast with different breads, fruit, juices, etc. She is a great hostess with incredible knowledge of the city.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank BushkaTexas
San Antonio, Tx
Reviewed 29 June 2009

My high school girlfriends and I spent two nights at The Chimes while we were on our road trip in the South. It was a wonderful experience and we hated to leave. The rooms were clean, nicely decorated and comfortable. The morning breakfast was excellent and the hosts were a wealth of knowledge on New Orleans.
The trolley (within 2 blocks) runs to downtown and the French Quarter which makes it nice if you don't want to fool with taking a car...parking, traffic, etc.
The area is quiet and safe feeling which we appreciated as women traveling alone. Can't wait to go back..

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank allaboutfeet
SE MN
Reviewed 3 May 2009

My wife Connie and I were both really happy to have stayed at the Chimes, especially since we'd never been to New Orleans before and didn't really know where to start in deciding on accommodations. Our room was truly cozy without being cramped, and nicely furnished, with a comfortable bed, a good reading light (hard to find sometimes in B & B's), spacious closet, comfortable bathroom with skylight, and french doors giving out onto the courtyard, which would have been a great place to hang out if it hadn't been raining so much when we were there. We found the morning discussions around the dining room table very engaging, the coffee excellent, and the breakfast fixings delicious (fresh baked goods, fresh fruit, bread, cheese, juice, cereal.) Ask Jill to show you her photo slide show from Katrina and the aftermath. Did I mention Jill? She (like so many others we met) obviously loves this city and really enjoys trying to steer you toward its best features. She gave us some great suggestions for where to hear music, as well as some added appreciation for the musical culture of New Orleans, including jazz funerals. Also good suggestions on restaurants, walking tours, and just about anything else we asked about. We are recommending the Chimes to everyone we talk to, and we hope to return soon. I see one of the other reviews says you really need a car if you're at this location. We didn't have one and didn't feel like we missed it. Of course, now the St. Charles street car is back in business, and it's really easy to hop on and get to most of the major destinations, from Audubon Zoo to the French Quarter. And there are many good restaurants within walking distance of the B & B. Also, the wind chimes definitely didn't keep us awake at night. I will say that a contractor working across the street did wake me up one morning earlier than I wanted. I think the rooms attached to the main house are probably a little quieter than ours, which opened to the street along side of the main house. But it's a quiet neighborhood. Oh, bring an umbrella in March. And stay at the Chimes!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank homegrown_music
Ohio
Reviewed 15 April 2009

First time in New Orleans and we weren't sure where to stay. I am so glad we chose Chimes. It's located in a beautiful, quiet residential neighborhood filled with historic homes. The "continental" breakfast is more than that; it was pastries from a local bakery, lots of fruit, cheeses, breads, coffee, tea, etc. Believe me, after eating dinner in New Orleans you don't necessarily want a heavy breakfast! Our room was cleaned every day and the hosts were very accommodating and knowledgeable about the city. They gave great recommendations for trips and restaurants and I loved that we could walk to so many shops and great restaurants.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kj1Ohio
Vienna, VA
Reviewed 22 January 2009

This is a very nice propety. We stayed in Guest room 2, and really enjoyed the historic feel. There is plenty of room and it is very comfortable. It was also very quiet, even with the other rooms all occupied.

It's an easy walk to the streetcar on St. Charles to get down to Canal Street. It's also easy to walk down to Magazine Street and enjoy some interesting shops and restaurants. The neighborhood is also nice to stroll through.

Breakfast is nice with pastries, breads, cheese and fruit.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled on business