“Not a better stay in New Orleans”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Chimes Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #14 of 142 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 January 2007

We have stayed at the Chimes for the past 17 years during Jazz Fest. Terrific location Uptown (walk to Tipitina's), wonderful (and knowledgable) hosts, fine accomodations, beautiful setting, awesome continental-plus breakfasts. Can't say enough about the place. You're a fool if you opt for a hotel over the Chimes!

• Stayed: April 2006, travelled with friends
4  Thank MinnesotaFishhead

Reviewed 30 October 2006

Stayed at The Chimes on Oct 10th & 11th. The owner greeted me upon check-in, gave me a map of the city and explained the city's layout and atttractions. What a great way to get your bearings in a new city....

The place itself is beautiful! My room was not only lovely, but had the unique distiction of being homey and very elegant at the same time. My room opened up to a lush garden with table and chairs to rest your bones after walking the Quarter all day!

Immaculately clean place. Everything was sparkling! And in the morning, you get to have breakfast at the huge table with the other guests. Don't get worried! It is not overly pushy or too friendly, so if you need to keep to yourself, you can do that too.

I am already planning my next trip to NOLA, and will stay with The Chimes. One of my best B&B stays ever.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank smowen
Reviewed 25 October 2006

This was my second stay at the Chimes Bed and Breakfast. Both visits exceeded my expectations. Since I grew up in New Orleans and attended college in the Uptown area, I knew that I wanted to stay in a B&B close to St. Charles Avenue and Magazine Street. The Chimes is a cozy bed and breakfast with many touches that make you feel at home. My husband and I enjoyed the daily breakfasts of croissants, cheeses, fresh fruit, coffee, and juice. The conversation at the breakfast table made it even more enjoyable. As cat lovers, the resident cats, Java and Julius, also made us feel welcome. The bed was comfortable particularly with the big down comforter that we had, and I enjoyed several long hot bathes in the large bath tub (which was very clean). When we return to visit my hometown again, we will be staying at the Chimes.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FormerNOLAGirl
A TripAdvisor Member
California
Reviewed 15 January 2006

I have stayed at the Chimes at least twice a year for the last 3 years. My most recent trip was Jazz Fest 2005. The lodgings have always been stylish, comfortable, private, and clean. The owner-operators are super-friendly and offer great tips for experiencing the the city of New Orleans. They put their heart and soul into this business...for example, in the past they have gone out of their way to offer rides to Jazz Fest and back. Their breakfast table is always buzzing with interesting conversation about the city or the arts or the music...100x better than a hotel, I just pray that this little gem doesn't become so popular that I can't get a reservation!

• Stayed: April 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Pensacola, FL
Reviewed 7 December 2005

I absolutely loved this place. It wasn't overly "foo-foo" so it was comforatable. I was disappointed when there wasn't a traditional breakfast but the owner said that it is actually against health department codes to cook! The cheese, crossants, and fruit were to die for so it didn't matter. The part of town was perfect, away from the loud downtown scene but close to the trolley. Absolutely loved it.

• Stayed: July 2005
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 September 2005

I liked the owners, they were friendly and talkative. However, I took a bath, was relaxing and saw a pubic hair floating in the water. I was so extremely grossed out. :(

In addition, the room needed some work, ie bathroom needed to be repainted. I probably would not stay there again (and I haven't)

Stayed: March 2003
1  Thank newyawk2000
Reviewed 21 July 2005

My wife and I spent our honeymoon in New Orleans. The best decision we made was to stay far from the French Quarter and at The Chimes. Jill, (the proprietor), and her family run a simply fabulous B&B.

Our room was more than big enough for two, with one entrance leading directly to the street (so you don't have to worry about sneaking home late after a few too many drinks, which tends to happen in New Orleans) and another entrance to the breezy, central courtyard. The bed was soft, the water hot and the furnishings clean. Each of the six rooms at The Chimes is apparently decorated in a different style: ours had a relaxing Zen feel.

The served breakfast was generous without being overly filling: plenty of fruit and cheese. Jill and her family are truly a part of the experience of staying at The Chimes: incredibly informed about the city, but happy to listen to your own adventures. (Oddly enough, the other guests we met during our stay were equally fascinating, too.) We were even lucky enough to have Java, the household cat, nap with us one afternoon.

The Chimes is expensive, but I don't think it's overpriced. Sometimes you really can get what you pay for. If you go to New Orleans to relax, stay outside the Quarter. And if you stay outside the Quarter, stay at The Chimes.

• Stayed: April 2005