“Quaint lovely place - Better than Bourbon Street!”

The Frenchmen Hotel
Ranked #45 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Quarryville, Pennsylvania
“Quaint lovely place - Better than Bourbon Street!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2012

love this place - the staff was wonderful, and when the air didn't work in the first room, they quickly moved us. Yes it's a little older,and not a five star turn down place but we felt very well taken care of - they helped us get discounts at attractions, and even called a cab when I got stuck after visiting a museum, I just called the hotel and told them where I was and they sent a cab right to me - now THAT is service!

Room Tip: the ground floor is nice the rooms are well appointed and the ambience is all we could hope for
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank lawgirl0331

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2012

I love this place. The location is phenomenal! Frenchmen street is where it is definitely happening. I have been traveling to NOLA for 20 years and always do the Bourbon street thing. I was so tired of Bourbon, and I wanted something different and exciting. Frenchmen street is it! Stay at the Frenchmen Hotel! You can still walk to bourbon and do everything there or just chill out on Bourbon street.
I read a review that said if you're a Hilton or Marriot snob...stay out! I agree...This place is about the architecture and the Frenchmen street experience. Troy and kenisha both work at the front desk. They will assist you in anyway they can.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Flfitguy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

We wanted to visit New Orleans during our family road trip. When we arrived in the city our tedious search for a reasonable and clean hotel began. Since we were traveling with 3 young children many of the major hotel chains wanted to charge us for a suite averaging $180 or higher. If we found a hotel with decent reviews that was affordable, they were booked.
The Frenchmen cost us $120 for the night and they did not care about us having 3 children. Another bonus was the parking which was included in the above price. Our car was secure and unlike the others was the cheapest price quoted to us.
Our children were excitted, as was I. The room was colorful, clean, nicely furnished and spacious for us all. The full sized beds were smaller then we were used to BUT they were the most comfortable we have stayed in yet.
The best part must have been the pool and hot tub. Since we arrived late, lost an hour do to time change and it took us an hour to find a place, I had lost hope in us doing anything fun that evening. However, we had a night swim in the cozy pool that was open till 11 pm while enjoying the jazz music from the neighboring bars. Our children had a blast.
I was actually sad to go and after visiting 4 hotels on our trip through 9 states the Frenchmen was my favorite. I would love to come back and wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else. It made our New Orleans trip memorable!

• Stayed July 2012
4 Thank DSBJD
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

My disabled mother accompanied me on a business trip and the staff was amazing to both of us. When we arrived a handicapped parking space was there for us. Everytime I left in my car for the day, the hotel staff saved the spot. The ladies at the desk and the housekeeping staff were friendly and incredible. Great night life just around the corner. Charming rooms and very clean. I would not stay anywhere else in NOLO.

Room Tip: The place can be noisy just because it's right in the middle of a great NOLO neighborhood, but y...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank behindeverycloud
Tampa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

If you are a Marriott / Hilton snob, this is not the place for you. But, if you are wanting the nawlins' experience at its finest, they you are in for a treat. Frenchmen Street is home to the blues. We were able to walk a block from our hotel and sit and enjoy adult beverages and live music every night we were in NO, six in all. Jackson Square is a mere six blocks away, and if you are at all familiar with the French Quarter, a block is only 1/10th of a mile, so the entire quarter is within easy striking distance, including affordable restaurants and bars.

We had the teeny tiny room located right off the main courtyard and found it quite charming. Let's face it, if you plan on staying in your room, why go to New Orleans in the first place. We too had partiers but we handled it in a calm manner - we went outside and joined them for a few minutes and chatted and consumed an adult beverage with them. When we parted, telling them we were heading to bed, they quieted down and we slept like babies.

Our room was clean. The wet wash cloth on the tile floor test yielded a clean washcloth. Bed linen was crisp and fresh smelling. Housekeeping staff was very accommodating, so much so, we came back from a day in the quarter to find clean towels hanging on the door, the staff having honored our do not disturb.

I will tell you the only serious shortcoming we noted - there is no elevator, so if you are not in good shape you will not like dealing with luggage. Unfortunately the hotel does not employ a bellperson.

Oh, I forgot - you are only two blocks to the end stop of the riverfront trolley, which will take you all the way to Riverfront and the Harrah's Casino on Canal Street - $3 per day.

Will definitely put The Frenchmen on my short list for my next trip to Nawlins.

Room Tip: No elevator so insist on ground floor if stairs are a problem.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank FlaStateFan
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2012

This is the second time we have stayed here. You can not beat the value nor the location. We love the personality of the place. It is clean, and the staff is friendly and helpful. We have driven both times, so the secure parking is a plus. If you love the blues, Frenchmen street is the place to be. Everything is right up the street. Also, the French Quarter is walkable from here, and a street car stop is within an easy stroll.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank TR667
Water Island, Virgin Islands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2012

Our teeny tiny room was located right off the main courtyard, and we didn't get a moments sleep. Other hotel guests congregated right outside our door all night long, and we were kept awake by loud partiers on their way in and out of the hotel.The hotel is well situated, but in addition to the in house noise, the place across the street blared music to all hours. We were in NO for the Jazz Festival, so we are not anti revelry, but the constant barrage was too much for us. I pride myself on being an adventurous traveler, but we ended up moving after 2 nights to the Sheraton on Canal Street, and despite not being refunded our last 2 nights, we were thrilled. The room was large and QUIET. Next time I will know better.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that's not off the main courtyard on the ground floor.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple