“a little getaway”

Ranked #46 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
New Orleans, Louisiana
“a little getaway”
Reviewed 15 October 2008

While it was charming, cute and very affordable, I'm not sure if the sheets were changed before I got there! The breakfast pastries are basically donuts and toast, but there is ample tea and coffee, which is good!

It is such a cute place and a great location, in terms of proximity to wonderful music and excellent food, but the downside of that is that it is noisy for the weekend nights as Friday and Saturday night the crowds party late into the night.

Also, the hot tub was not working, which I'm not sure about why. Still it was a bargain for the price/location and the adorable courtyard/deck/balcony to hang out on.

• Liked — location and price
  • Disliked — noise and cleanliness
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank lasfloras

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
santa barbara, ca
Reviewed 14 October 2008

Ok, this is a little bit different. We are staying at the Frenchmen next month. I am writing this because I am so impressed with the help from the staff. Extremely curteous and helpful each time I called,,,,be it describing the room, property, etc. as well as suggestions of restaurants, etc. in the area.
A friend of a friend stayed there and recommended the Frenchmen to me. He said that he did a lot of research and has stayed in New Orleans in the past, and that the Frenchmen is clean and by far the best value that he has found in the area.
I was impressed with little things such as the fact that they don't charge for rollaway beds, where as other hotels will charge $20 or so for that.
I will write a review of our stay in November.

Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 26 August 2008

I have to tell you, up front, that we like to travel "local" i.e. small hotels, B&B preferably, eat local. We also do a great job to inquire about the place we travel to. We like "off the touristic beaten path" stuff and most of all want to sample the local life. So we never go to all-inclusive or group travel.

The hotel is very interesting if you like being close to fellow residents and want to exchange around the breakfast table.

Rooms are just the right size (when you use it as a stop-and-go in daytime and to sleep. They are, most of all, very clean altough not new. We were in a room just by the poolside with old frenchdoors (very romantic, but you hear pretty much everything that people in the pool do/say. especially true when the A/C is taking a break in-between 2 refreshing cycles.)

Pool rules say that it closes at midnight but there's always somebody to have a smoke (rooms are non-smoker, a very big ++) or a last cooling dip before sleeping. We had to intervene only once for a group of youngster coming back from Bourbon street were continuing the party by our door at 2:30 am. Otherwise the average residents were couples and congressists. No kids when we were there. Of course week-end tends to be noisier for younger croud comes in.

The bathroom is on the small side without counter space but a 2-shelves metal unit hanging overt he toilet was doing the job. The only negative side would be not enough towel rack space.

Breakfast was fair but i would have like to see some variety during the week. Doughnuts, toast, oatmeal and cereal are great but could get very monotonous after few days. furthermore I was kinda expecting to see some french croissant or some muffins somewhere during the week (ok ! it's the french in me that speaks but eating sugarglazed doughnuts every morning is not my forte!!)
;o)

Staff (front desk and room service) was very friendly and helpful.
Although young and some being freshly arrived in town, the frontdesk staff made efforts to give us the proper info and tips they could and were honest in their recommandations (restaurants, day-trip and directions).

Although not a 5-stars rating, i do recommend if you like to keep it simple and keep money to do go around town and area. If, like us, you're avoiding the hiltons, Holliday Inns and other chain whenever possible, you'll be pleased by this hotel.

By the way it is very well located if you want to be close to action without being in it 24/7. Everything in the French Quarter is at a walking distance and the cable car/tramway is just around the corner so you can get around town very easily.

I'm rating this as a 4.8/5 and not as a 5/5 just for the little things I have said (lack of variety in breakfast, missing drying rack and some noise) it would be a 97% rating (to me 5/5 would be 100%) so close but just missed it. Would defitively go back there if I am in town.

• Liked — Location: being next to everything without being in it.
  • Disliked — lack of variety at breakfast.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Janson Q
FrenchmenHotel, Manager at The Frenchmen Hotel, responded to this review, 29 August 2008
Excellent!!! I remember you guys. Thanks for the review.

I just wanted to let everyone who's thinking of booking know we have a wide variety of rooms ranging from small and function to 600 square foot suites with kitchens and balconies.

If the writer of this reviews reads this, I'd be happy to upgrade you for free on your next visit!

Cheers,

Joe
Selmer, Tn.
Reviewed 3 August 2008

My husband and I were the party traveling with the previous poster (kjacklpn). We were the ones in the room with no air conditioning and no ceiling fan.

When we arrived at the hotel (1 p.m., not 10 a.m.) were did store our luggage in the hotel office and were told that our rooms were not ready. We left and walked around the city until 3 p.m. (check-in). When we arrived back at the hotel at 3, we were then told that one of our rooms had no air conditioning and the air conditioning in the other room was leaking. We were also told that a repairman had been contacted and he would probably be there within an hour. We were aggravated because we were tired (after driving 8 hours) and very hot, and felt like since the room obviously had no a/c at check out that day, that someone should have already been there to repair it, and it was evident that no one had been called until in the afternoon. The repairman did show up. He haphazardly got our a/c running (run and then cut off, run and cut off), but with the Music Festival in town, and no other choice, it was better than nothing at all.

Our room was very small, bathrooms much smaller. We didn't have a bathroom mirror on the wall. Not a big deal to a man, but to a woman, we kinda like to have a mirror when getting dressed. I asked the desk clerk if one could be found, he said he'd work on it, but never got back to me. Room was pretty clean, however, the floors hadn't been mopped in several days as evident by the bottoms of our socks.

All in all, not very impressed by the Frenchmen Hotel. Probably wouldn't stay there again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Inability to solve problems
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Regina9431
Reviewed 1 August 2008

My husband, daughter and I stayed 4 nights in July 2008. We found the location to be excellent. The streetcar stop just around the corner was very convenient and we loved the proximity to the French Quarter and the great music found down the street in the Marigny District. Our car was very safe on the street in front of the hotel.

We had a room with two very comfortable queen sized beds, an armoire, a dresser, comfortable chair, and nice sized bathroom. The A/C was ice cold (which we loved) and the pool was very refreshing.

We visited with three different desk clerks during our stay and all were friendly, knowledgable and helpful.

We will definitely stay at The Frenchmen again should we return to NOLA.

Very happy customers from Kansas!!!!

• Liked — Location, great beds, friendly staff
  • Disliked — Loved It!
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank elliehouse
Selmer, TN
Reviewed 14 July 2008

Was at the Frenchman Hotel July 5-6, 2008. My experience was horrible. We had two rooms and neither one of them had air conditioning when we arrived. This time of year is HOT in New Orleans. One of the units was fixed but the other never was. In the room without air, the ceiling fan failed to work as well. This room did not have a mirror on the bathroom wall. The manager was nice enough but the desk clerk was rude and not very considerate consider the mess that we walked into. On the brighter side, the furniture is beautiful and the rooms, although very tiny and cramped, were decorated nicely. The bathrooms were tiny and cramped. For all of this, I feel like the Frenchman was overrated and overpriced. It will not be on my agenda for my next stay in New Orleans..

• Liked — pretty antique furniture
  • Disliked — everything...bad place
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank kjacklpn
FrenchmenHotel, Manager at The Frenchmen Hotel, responded to this review, 21 July 2008
Let me first assure anyone thinking of booking a room here at the Frenchmen that ALL rooms at the Frenchmen Hotel are fully air conditioned.

Our policy here at the Frenchmen, which is evident in other reviews, is to check guests in as early as we have the room available. However, we do not guarantee the room until 3pm due to guest check-outs, maintenance, and cleaning issues that may arise.

The guest writing this review showed up at 10AM, well before the 3PM checkin time, while the AC units in their rooms were undergoing routine maintenance.

The gentleman then demanded that he be given complimentary rooms if his rooms were not available at once. As the maintenance was completed before the guaranteed checkin time, the guest was upset his room wasn't free and informed me he would be writing a bad review in retribution.

I tried very earnestly to work with this guest, offering my office to store his luggage and my sincerest apologies that his rooms were not ready early, but I found his demands for complimentary rooms unfair.

I hope you consider our side of the story when reading this review.

Manager
Frenchmen Hotel
Tuscumbia, AL
Reviewed 3 July 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Frenchmen Hotel June 23-26, and we loved it! The staff was always very friendly, and they courteously answered all our ridiculous questions. :) Our room was small (but for $59 a night, you won't hear us complaining!), but kept clean. The decor of the hotel is indeed funky... but a classic funky (if that's possible)! The neighborhood was very safe (our car stayed parked outside the hotel during our whole stay). We had zero complaints about our stay at the Frenchmen, and we will most definitely stay there again the next time we're in New Orleans. If you want a fancy resort hotel where you'll be comfortable staying in your room all day, this isn't it. BUT, if you want a true NOLA experience, the Frenchmen is the only way to go. :)

• Liked — the cute factor
  • Disliked — we loved it all!
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple