“LOVED IT!”

The Frenchmen Hotel
Ranked #46 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
“LOVED IT!”
Reviewed 22 September 2005

My husband and I spent our first anniversary at the Frenchmen, and we absolutely loved it! It was a very beautiful inn, and the pool was wonderful, with the hot tub adjoining it. The private parking area was nice too. My husband and I loved it, and we would love to take another trip there.

• Stayed July 2003
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 18 August 2005

Very mixed feelings about this hotel. Don't need to dwell on the positives (look & feel, location, very friendly service) as they're all pretty much covered in the previous reviews..

The big downside is noise. Both from outside the room (the noise from the pool can continue late into the evening), and from the thunderous air conditioning unit which you have no choice but to use, given the heat and humidity of the N.O. summer.

Notwithstanding this, I would probably stay here again. But if you're a light sleeper and you're travelling in the summer months, I would recommend you look elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2005
4 Thank ParisExpat
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 17 August 2005

I'll have to put in another vote for the Frenchmen. I stayed there my first time in New Orleans and absolutely loved it. Rates were reasonable; the staff was absolutely adorable and the rooms were clean. Breakfast was your standard bagels/muffins/doughnuts, toast and jelly, tea/coffee/juice/milk etc., but it was all very good and from a local bakery. The pool is small to medium-sized but very well-kept, and there is a jacuzzi next to it that was very clean and the perfect temperature. I got a single bed room, and yeah, it was small, but for one person it was all I needed. Location is great, quiet part of Esplanade but easy walking distance to the French Quarter, and only about a block away from the first stop on the Riverfront Streetcar Line.

I'm just waiting until I can go back!

• Stayed March 2004
5 Thank Sara T
Reviewed 2 August 2005

Stayed at The Frenchmen Hotel during first week of July. Our room was small but clean and comfy. The hotel is more like a guest house or B and B than a hotel. This was fine with me because I like old buildings. It was built in the 1830's.
The staff was laid back and friendly and made us feel special. They always greeted us and other guests by name and always asked how our stay was going which is something you don't see very often.They have a cool courtyard with a pool and a hot tub where we drank wine (that you can actually have delivered from the liquor store to the hotel,AWESOME) at night after exploring the city all day.
The tours and restaurants the staff recommended were very good. The restaurants were the ones the locals go to:(Fiorella's,Coop's,Upperline,Elizabeth's, Angeli's) and we enjoyed every meal. I would definetly come back to stay here again. It is laid back and feels like authentic New Orleans. On a whole, the city has a friendly, laid back attitude that made us feel welcome.

• Stayed July 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 11 July 2005

We travelled all the way down from Ontario, Canada to stay for a week at the Frenchmen for our honeymoon in early May. We had booked online, thinking that the room depicted on the website was typical of all the rooms they offered.

Instead, we found ourselves in a tiny room that was barely big enough to hold our three luggage bags. It had a double bed, not a queen. There was a crack at the top of the door and the only window in the room was a small one in the tiny bathroom. The room had a strange odor and the carpet seemed damp. The balcony we had to walk on to get to our room was old and was not sturdy.

We did not stay there that night and we were not refunded for that night. They offered to switch rooms for us but couldn't accommodate us the entire week.

The staff was friendly but beware if you're looking for a nice hotel.

• Stayed May 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
, manager at The Frenchmen Hotel, responded to this review, 27 July 2005

Thank you for your comments regarding your experience at the Frenchmen. We are disappointed to hear that you were not satisfied with your accommodations.We have many guests that return time and time again because they enjoy the historical ambiance of our rooms, balconies, and courtyard. The Frenchmen was built in the 1860's and is listed on the national historic register. We take great pride in providing our guests with clean accommodations, and we maintain the property according to safety codes. I can assure you that the balcony you refer to, while being old, is certainly safe and sturdy. As for the size of your room, you were placed in the type of room requested- a standard single room with one double bed. Thank you again for your comments.

Centreville, Virginia
Reviewed 29 June 2005

First off, let me just say that the staff at the Frenchmen are some of the friendliest and most responsive I have ever encountered. That alone made our stay very pleasant.

The location is excellent as it is in walking distance to most everything, and a block away from some great music clubs. The hotel is in a quaint, old-world building and the courtyard with small pool is just lovely. However, there are a few things that need to be worked on to make this a truly great place to stay. I sincerely hope the management takes these suggestions into consideration because I would whole-heartedly recommend the hotel to others with a little effort put into the following:

1. Plumbing - the shower was one of the most miserable I have ever had. As this is an old bulding, the pipes clearly need work. Just like in an old house, the water switches from warm, to scalding hot, to freezing cold constantly, making it very difficult to shower. I'm guessing this stems from other guests flushing toilets, using sinks, etc. throughout the hotel. However, I was almost scalded, the water surged so hot unexpectedly. Very, very dangerous, especially for anyone with children. I avoided taking a shower, which isn't good in the hot summertime.

2. Sheets and beds - although everything appeared clean and new, the sheets and beds were poor quality. The sheets were so coarse, they felt like sleeping on burlap. I don't require fancy thread counts or anything like that, but these sheets were truly sandpaper to the skin. If the hotel just invests in a bit better quality or fabric softener, it would be much improved.

3. Amenities - I realize this isn't a fancy big hotel, but irons and ironing boards really should be standard in all rooms by now. More than one bath towel per person would be nice too, especially since there is a pool.

4. Maintenance - several small things didn't work in our room, from the outlet in the bathroom to the lamp on the nightable. Routine checks for maintenance would easily take care of this problem and alleviate annoyance.

Other than that, I really enjoyed my stay and thought it was a good value for the relatively inexpensive price. I understand there is new management and I hope they use this feedback to turn it into a fine example of New Orleans hospitality. I plan on staying here on my next visit, and look forward to seeing what they've done with the great potential of this hotel.

• Stayed June 2005
6 Thank tshemphill
, Manager at The Frenchmen Hotel, responded to this review, 14 July 2005
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Frenchmen. We appreciate your kind words about the staff and suggestions for the hotel. The Frenchmen is a great place to stay in a great location, and we are constantly striving to provide excellent customer service and comfortable accommodations. Feedback from our guests is a valuable source of information that enables us to better serve our customers. The concerns you mention are very important to us. I can personally assure you that we are correcting maintenence issues and adding amenities such as coffee makers, irons, ironing boards to each room. We are committed to making the necessary changes to provide our guests with the best hotel experience we can offer. Thank you again for your comments and we hope to see you soon.
Amy Kacpura

Reviewed 30 May 2005

We were very pleasantly surprised; it didn't seem very special from the outside, but the courtyard on the inside of the hotel is awesome - pool and jacuzzi, and very mediterranean looking. Rooms very nice and clean. Very different from the typical touristy hotels. People were very friendly and helpful when it came to questions regarding what to do and where to go in New Orleans. We would go back to this hotel for sure!!!

Stayed May 2005