“Good if you like dirty and poor upkeep!”

Creole Gardens Guesthouse Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #12 of 142 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I'm shocked by the previous great reviews before me. Maybe they are just happy to find an affordable room near the French Quarter in the low $100 per night range, or maybe we just got a bad room and came on a bad weekend? I don't know, but I do know that it's the worse room I have ever stayed in while paying over $100 per night. My room in Roatan, Honduras for less than $40 per night is better than this place and it's in a 3rd world country where most people are just happy to have a place to sleep. It's one thing to stay in a quaint, old, nicely maintained and clean property for $135.15 for the night, but it's completely something else when you pay that kind of money and have the experience that I had.

To start off with the wooden floor in my room was filthy. Please take a look at my photos. Shortly after getting in the room I could literally see the dirt film on the floor after I noticed that my socks were dirty on the bottom. One of the photos shows a Creole Garden hand towel that I put some water on and then wiped one time across the floor. Pretty nasty, huh? Look at the floor in the background.

The curtains in the room are a joke. One of my photos shows the curtain that doesn't properly cover the window, allowing people outside to look inside through the side. Additionally, the curtain is white, very thin and allows the bright outside light to illuminate the inside of the room so brightly that I could have probably read a book with no lights on inside the room during the middle of the night.

The other window coverings are simply various types of cloth tacked over the windows (See photos)

The door knob on the front door of the room was very loose and about ready to fall off of the door. (See photos) I can't say for sure, but I had the impression the door knob is actually meant for an interior door, but it's mounted on the exterior door of this room.

The shower curtain in the bathroom is a filthy cheap plastic curtain that you could probably find in the dollar store. The curtain isn't weighted and wants to suck in and stick to your body while taking a shower.

The door to the bathroom had a hole in it, apparently where a door knob used to mount, but now it's just a hole. Take a look at the photo and also notice the dirty door surface around the hole that I was trying to photograph.

I wasn't thrilled with the A/C unit mounted over the bed and blowing directly on me while I tried to sleep. I tried to adjust the grills on the A/C unit to direct the air away from me, but it didn't help much.

In all the photos notice all the unpainted, dirty, worn surfaces in need of paint. It's one thing to try to be retro, but an old, dirty, poorly maintained property isn't really retro. It's old, dirty and worn out!

Skip forward to breakfast. I went to the breakfast room in the morning. The coffee was great. So was the second and third cups as I waited until 40 minutes after placing my order before the food arrived (2 over medium eggs and bacon). She also offered grits, but I passed on those. I toasted my own toast in the provided toaster. There seemed to be only one girl that was taking orders and then going back into the kitchen to cook and then later bringing the food to the tables. As we finished eating I noticed a second girl eventually show up and start helping some. The whole breakfast deal just seemed unorganized and there was really no direction about whether I people were suppose to seat themselves and sit down and wait to place an order, or if we should go to the kitchen and tell her what I wanted, etc..

The location of the property is excellent. I was able to walk the the WWII museum in about 10 minutes which was great. It's about a 3 minute walk to the closest street car stop which allows easy access to the French Quarter without having to drive and figure out where to park. Speaking of parking, for this property you have to park out on the street. There was no parking lot that I was able to find.

Sorry for the bad review Creole, but I have to call them as I see them. You would be well served to have someone replace all of the old worn out "curtains", blinds, door knobs, etc. and spend a day or two cleaning EVERYTHING in the room. Just because the property is old or historic doesn't mean that people want to stay in a place that needs maintenance and cleaning. It wouldn't take that much time or money to bring the room I stayed in up to an acceptable level of cleanliness and quality. And give that poor girl cooking breakfast some help! She shouldn't have to cook and wait tables at the same time. Have someone out in the dining area that is there 100% of the time to take care of your customers during the time you're serving breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Diver836
creolegardens, General Manager at Creole Gardens Guesthouse Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Dear Diver836,
No apology necessary for giving us your honest feedback. We sincerely appreciate it. Since your stay we had new curtains made for the room (I picked the fabric myself) and we fixed that door knob. We agree that there is a difference between worn and being dirty so cleanliness is one of our top priorities. I'm so sorry that we dropped the ball on this one but I can assure you that when you return (and we would certainly love to have you back) your experience will be more like those of the other guest reviews that you read.
Creole Gardens Krew

Reviewed 8 September 2013

Visited New Orleans over the Labor Day weekend and loved our stay at Creole Gardens. We stayed in room #12 and it was adorable. King size bed, flat screen TV, hairdryer, iron, ironing board, and mini fridge included. Breakfast was the best I've ever had at a B&B or hotel. Made-to-order eggs, bacon, grits, bagels, fruit, and more. The staff went out of their way to be friendly and helpful, showing us around the place when we first arrived and making us feel we were guests in their home, not a hotel. The place was very quiet at night and only one block away from St. Charles St. and the street car stop, which will take you almost anywhere you want to go. We parked our car on Friday (free parking) and didn't drive it again until Monday. WWII museum is within walking distance, too. We will definitely stay here again and highly recommend the place!

Room Tip: Room #12 is on ground level and closest to the door going into the breakfast room.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2013

My finance and I are regularly visit New Orleans but this was our first time at Creole Gardens. Before our scheduled check-in time, we had arrived in New Orleans early and I called to see if it was possible to get into our room before 3:00. The staff graciously allowed us to get into our room early and were incredibly friendly throughout the whole process. Our room was just what we wanted: a bed, private bathroom and television. The room was clean and the breakfast was awesome (made to order). The hotel also offers free parking (something not normally found in New Orleans) as well as free internet, and you really can't beat the location. I truly enjoyed our stay here and will be coming back.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Great place to sleep (although bring your own pillows) and not much more but it's quaint, and the service is exceptional (Kathy in particular). Location is such that you can walk one block and take the trolley anywhere around town for $1.25. Creole Gardens accepts dogs or any size and type and how refreshing! Nice experience at the aquarium, French Market and overall sights and sounds of New Orleans. Street parking is available or they have a huge lot just at the end of the block. Garden District is nice and quiet and short distance to French Quarter. After several trips to the Bourbon Street area, I am still disappointed as to how dirty it is.

Room Tip: There are no elevators so if going up and down stairs is an issue, please let them know.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We have family in NOLA and go all the time. I am a huge fan of the Garden District. Just spent the weekend in NOLA and stayed at Creole Gardens for the first time. I really loved the place! It has so much character, the parking is great and our made to order breakfast was yummy! We stayed in cottage 5. I adored the artwork and decor. Would have preferred to have a door without windows on the bathroom door for a tad more privacy but that's just a personal preference. The AC worked great in the hot humidity of NOLA in August which isn't always the case especially in historic homes. We needed a late check-in and they had everything ready for us. The rate was good, the bed was comfy with very soft sheets.

The location is PERFECT! You have the beauty of the garden district, easy fast walk, (just around the block) to the St. Charles streetcar for a quick ride to the quarter. I would definitely recommend this B&B. It has the charm and character of New Orleans in every nook and crannie.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I just needed a place to stay for the night with my dog on my trip to florida and stumbled upon this cute little b&b! The staff was so helpful and nice. I was towing a uhaul and they offered to let me park in the driveway, since street parking might be difficult. The room was clean and homey. It's not a cookie cutter holiday inn type place, but I felt safe in the area, the price was right, and I can't say enough good things about the staff. Will definitely stay again :)

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 August 2013

The guesthouse is in awesome part of town: very close to interstate access, 1 block from the trolley, between french quarters and garden district. The breakfast cook is phenomenal and they provide a full, home cooked breakfast made to order in addition to a continental breakfast. The room we stayed in was pretty retro, but in a good way. :) However, the overhead fan squeaked and the AC was fairly loud. For the coolness factor, location, and price, this is a very hard place to beat. P.S. Ask about the history of the place. :)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple