“whimsical history”

Creole Gardens Guesthouse Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #12 of 142 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 October 2013

The property was fun to explore. Staff was knowledgeable and very friendly. Room was clean and reminiscent of days gone by... Breakfast was very good. Only suggestion would be that they add another coffee pot so coffee is always ready to enjoy.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
creolegardens, Manager at Creole Gardens Guesthouse Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

We love that you found our place reminiscent of days gone by!!! It's quite fitting for a Southern Belle!! We've taken your advice and always have 2 coffee pots going now!! Come see us again!

Reviewed 16 October 2013

Creole Gardens lived up to all the great reviews posted here. We were met by extremely friendly staff and made to feel at home immediately. Our room (11C) was clean, comfortable and spacious. The breakfast offerings were well done. Our stay at Creole Gardens set the tone for the rest of our visit to New Orleans. We will definitely return to Creole Gardens on our next trip to NOLA!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

It should go without saying that folks from Nashville have music in their souls just like the folks of New Orleans.. We thoroughly enjoyed being given the opportunity to really show you what New Orleans has to offer!!! Hope to have you back soon!!

Reviewed 15 October 2013

I am from New Orleans and needed to make a quick trip back. Creole Gardens B&B was recommended by a friend in N.O., and it was a good choice. We were a party of 3 adults and stayed in the penthouse which is on the 3rd floor of the main building (the mansion). [Note: there is no elevator and it's a hearty walk up two long flights.] This suite is also the honeymoon suite. The room itself is quite large, with a small screen separating the living/TV/extra beds area from the king bed sleeping area. The king bed is firm but comfortable. There is a comfortable sofa and several chairs in the living area, with a large coffee table. The extra bed is a trundle that could sleep 2 adults. There is a small kitchen with small fridge/freezer, microwave and a sink. However, there are only a few dishes and no dish soap so plan on using disposables. The TV worked well and had basic cable but no premium channels. Wifi was strong but I had to restart a couple of times to get back on. There is also an ethernet plug and the office will provide a cord if you don't have one. There were plenty of electrical outlets. The bathroom is large with a claw-footed tub and a separate shower. Very good hot water supply but takes a while to heat up. The soap bars are fairly small and only shampoo is supplied - no conditioner so bring your own. No problem with getting clean linens from maid service daily. Both the main room and bathroom were clean. Because of the age of the house there is no central a/c, but the rooms have window units which kept the room very cool (it was unseasonably warm for October). They do make a white noise sound which I actually like as it helps me sleep. There is a small balcony with 2 plastic adirondack type chairs; the area is covered with black asphalt which will rub off on your feet so wear shoes. Smoking is allowed in this area. The balcony also has stairs leading down to the courtyard (again, a good walk down a few flights). As others have said, breakfast is outstanding, with a daily menu and table service. In addition, there is a self service table with bagels, yogurt, cereal, fruit, coffee and juice. The staff is super friendly and helpful, we had no problems at all. The neighborhood is so-so, fine during the day but would not walk alone after dark. There is street parking as well as a parking lot on the same block, which is free and there was always an open space when we were there Thurs - Sunday. The location is great for getting to all parts of the city, very near the interstate and streetcar line. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

It really was a pleasure to meet you Tonya.. I can't forgot that "yat" in your voice!! Sounds like home! We genuinely appreciate the thorough an honest feedback of your review. We have since made a change in our toiletries so we now have separate shampoos and conditioners instead of the combination we had during your stay.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

Just had a 2 night stay at the property, really liked the character of the place and made a nice change from the "chain hotels" we often stay in. The staff were very helpful and friendly. Our rooms certainly had character, shabby chic would be the best way to describe them. Only complaint was the a/c, very very noisy and had to turn it off at night as there was no way we could sleep with it on and the bed was creaked every time we moved too!!! Parking was at the front of the property and was no problem and it is free. There is additional parking lot on the corner of the street. Very close to street cars and also easy walk into centre of NOLA. .

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Lottie092013
creolegardens, General Manager at Creole Gardens Guesthouse Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us! And that you like our uniqueness. We like to think we're sort of special in that way :) I apologize for that noisy AC. We will certainly look into that so that on your next stay you can fall in love with us even more! We can't wait to see you again!

Reviewed 18 September 2013

Karen, co-mgr, booked our reservation and made me feel very comfortable with choosing Creole Gardens. At arrival, we were graciously welcomed and shown to our Cottage #11. The facility has such character, rich in cultural history. It is not a 5-star luxury hotel, but a B&B with historical decor, basic amenities (clean linens, towels/washclothes, complimentary soap/shampoo) and an exceptional cooked-to-order breakfast. Room rates very reasonable for New Orleans, especially with included breakfast and NO parking fees, facility located just one block from St. Charles Ave. with streetcar pickup, and only 5 minutes from cruise terminals. Learned it's also pet-friendly. Always felt secure and relaxed -- perfect location for 3 mature adult ladies traveling alone. Tks, Creole Gardens!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rebecca C

Hello Rebecca C,
Thanks for giving us such an awesome review! And yes, we are definitely pet friendly! Next time you come to see us bring your two AND four legged kids with you!

Reviewed 18 September 2013

I stay in New Orleans a lot, and I get a lot of "take it or leave it" from N.O. hotels. This place ROCKS. They are polite & helpful over the phone. There is somewhere to PARK, unlike the rest of New Orleans, and its FREE, unlike the rest of New Orleans. You're a block away from the Streetcar, so you can go to the touristy stuff or the Superdome. I walked in on a hot saturday, and they had the air conditioner on for me. I LOVED this. My room was already comfortable.
I like B&B's anyway, because, when you're tired from a long drive, you dont have to go through all the registration process - you grab your key from an envelope, and retire straight to your room. Also, I love normal keys, not the electronic ones that malfunction.

The room, one of their old Bordello rooms, was beautiful, and furnished with antique furniture, including an old style bed, with nice, cool sheets, and plenty of pillows. The shower, sink, and toilet was all very clean, worked just fine, and they had lots of towels.

The neighborhood is nice, clean, and quiet. I didnt hear a peep from the neighbors, and not a single car driving by playing rap. Also its around the block from a bunch of great little eatieries & bars --- most of them offbeat & interesting. Just having a drugstore nearby is a big plus, when you're traveling.

The property is very eclectic, very "artsy," which a lot of people will enjoy. They seem to be very accomodating toward pets, but tolerate zero smoking, which is wierd, but its their house,
and I respect that. They might be artsy, but they're hellacious business people, with a very
nice product, and they're FRIENDLY. A capitalist like myself can truly appreciate them.
Whatever your persuasion, you will enjoy staying here.

Last thing: Ambience: My wife & I have been married 7 years... , and you know, stress, kids, business, etc. When we stayed here, the honeymoon was ON.

Highly Recommend!!!! and WHODAT!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank skymikeh

Hey Skymikeh...
We think YOU rock!! It's folks like yourself that make what we do so much fun! We love our place and it's cool that you love it too! And from what we read your wife loves it even more ;)
WHODAT!!

Reviewed 17 September 2013

I'm shocked by the previous great reviews before me. Maybe they are just happy to find an affordable room near the French Quarter in the low $100 per night range, or maybe we just got a bad room and came on a bad weekend? I don't know, but I do know that it's the worse room I have ever stayed in while paying over $100 per night. My room in Roatan, Honduras for less than $40 per night is better than this place and it's in a 3rd world country where most people are just happy to have a place to sleep. It's one thing to stay in a quaint, old, nicely maintained and clean property for $135.15 for the night, but it's completely something else when you pay that kind of money and have the experience that I had.

To start off with the wooden floor in my room was filthy. Please take a look at my photos. Shortly after getting in the room I could literally see the dirt film on the floor after I noticed that my socks were dirty on the bottom. One of the photos shows a Creole Garden hand towel that I put some water on and then wiped one time across the floor. Pretty nasty, huh? Look at the floor in the background.

The curtains in the room are a joke. One of my photos shows the curtain that doesn't properly cover the window, allowing people outside to look inside through the side. Additionally, the curtain is white, very thin and allows the bright outside light to illuminate the inside of the room so brightly that I could have probably read a book with no lights on inside the room during the middle of the night.

The other window coverings are simply various types of cloth tacked over the windows (See photos)

The door knob on the front door of the room was very loose and about ready to fall off of the door. (See photos) I can't say for sure, but I had the impression the door knob is actually meant for an interior door, but it's mounted on the exterior door of this room.

The shower curtain in the bathroom is a filthy cheap plastic curtain that you could probably find in the dollar store. The curtain isn't weighted and wants to suck in and stick to your body while taking a shower.

The door to the bathroom had a hole in it, apparently where a door knob used to mount, but now it's just a hole. Take a look at the photo and also notice the dirty door surface around the hole that I was trying to photograph.

I wasn't thrilled with the A/C unit mounted over the bed and blowing directly on me while I tried to sleep. I tried to adjust the grills on the A/C unit to direct the air away from me, but it didn't help much.

In all the photos notice all the unpainted, dirty, worn surfaces in need of paint. It's one thing to try to be retro, but an old, dirty, poorly maintained property isn't really retro. It's old, dirty and worn out!

Skip forward to breakfast. I went to the breakfast room in the morning. The coffee was great. So was the second and third cups as I waited until 40 minutes after placing my order before the food arrived (2 over medium eggs and bacon). She also offered grits, but I passed on those. I toasted my own toast in the provided toaster. There seemed to be only one girl that was taking orders and then going back into the kitchen to cook and then later bringing the food to the tables. As we finished eating I noticed a second girl eventually show up and start helping some. The whole breakfast deal just seemed unorganized and there was really no direction about whether I people were suppose to seat themselves and sit down and wait to place an order, or if we should go to the kitchen and tell her what I wanted, etc..

The location of the property is excellent. I was able to walk the the WWII museum in about 10 minutes which was great. It's about a 3 minute walk to the closest street car stop which allows easy access to the French Quarter without having to drive and figure out where to park. Speaking of parking, for this property you have to park out on the street. There was no parking lot that I was able to find.

Sorry for the bad review Creole, but I have to call them as I see them. You would be well served to have someone replace all of the old worn out "curtains", blinds, door knobs, etc. and spend a day or two cleaning EVERYTHING in the room. Just because the property is old or historic doesn't mean that people want to stay in a place that needs maintenance and cleaning. It wouldn't take that much time or money to bring the room I stayed in up to an acceptable level of cleanliness and quality. And give that poor girl cooking breakfast some help! She shouldn't have to cook and wait tables at the same time. Have someone out in the dining area that is there 100% of the time to take care of your customers during the time you're serving breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Diver836

Dear Diver836,
No apology necessary for giving us your honest feedback. We sincerely appreciate it. Since your stay we had new curtains made for the room (I picked the fabric myself) and we fixed that door knob. We agree that there is a difference between worn and being dirty so cleanliness is one of our top priorities. I'm so sorry that we dropped the ball on this one but I can assure you that when you return (and we would certainly love to have you back) your experience will be more like those of the other guest reviews that you read.