“My New Best Friends”

Ranked #13 of 138 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Bay Area
“My New Best Friends”
Reviewed 9 February 2007

I stayed at the Creole Gardens in November of 2006 and it is truly a magical place. We arrived late at night and of course I had forgotten to let them know. Although the office was closed, I found my key and room easily. I was amazed at how personable and friendly everyone there was. The breakfasts were great and it felt like I was a member of the family. I will stay there every time I visit New Orleans in the future!

• Liked — Relaxed and friendly atmosphere
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank NannerBayArea

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Galveson, Texas
Reviewed 8 February 2007

When I got to the Creole Gardens I immediately fell in love with this place. I've stayed at many hotels in New Orleans over the years and this is one of my all time favorites. It's got character and history, plus it's haunted. All rooms are non smoking, and as a smoker that normally bothers me. Not there, I went get me a great cup of coffe that Ms. Annie made, and sat on my little step. I sat there with my coffee and listened to New Orleans wake up. I highly recommend this to anyone who wants to experience the true New Orleans. And let's not forget Ms. Annie and her fabulous breakfast. This is not a "continental" breakfast, it's a "what you want" breakfast and that's a beautiful thing, and that great coffee.

I travel constantly, I'm a touring comedian, so I stay in "lots" of hotels/motels, so I am critical. And I know what I like, and I like this place.

Come back to New Orleans and please enjoy "Creole Gardens", you won't regret it.

Thanks for a great stay John.

Caroline Picard
The Cajun Queen

2 Thank CajunQueenGalveston
central texas
Reviewed 8 February 2007

I must beg to differ with the negative review of the last post....I stayed here for four days during January and had a wonderful experience. The place was recommended by a friend, and it lived up to her enthusiastic recommendation. It is charming, with an eclectic flavor true to its New Orleans origins. My room was clean, freshly painted, the bed was immaculate and very comfortable, the staff felt like old friends from the first minute, the breakfasts cooked to order by Miss Annie were delicious, and they took the time to print out a map for me to my meeting ..... I would recommend the Creole Gardens to anyone wanting a fun, friendly, New Orleans visit.

2 Thank brazosvalley
Raleigh
Reviewed 31 January 2007

First, I'll state that this was a post-Katrina stay, but by over a year's time. I had been staying at a "mega hotel" for weeks and wanted to put my money into the local economy vs. into a hotel heiresses party fund.

I booked my stay at Creole Gardens based solely on their Website information and on TripAdvisor ratings. It pains me to say I was grossly mislead. I'll make this as concise as possible, and note that virtually all of these are OBJECTIVE vs. subjective, which should raise orange flags.

I stayed in a bordello room, second floor.

Pros:
- Very friendly staff
- Excellent homemade breakafast (see related con below)
- The nearby bars and restaraunts on St. Charles are great
- Shampoos and soaps were of nice quality
- Good a.m. coffee
- Price

Cons:
- Stunningly poor room quality: hairs in bed, plant LITERALLY growing through window from the outside, unpainted and unfinished rotten and moldy plywood sink counter (though the sink was handmade and beautiful), a coat-tree and 1.5' deep by 2' "wardrobe" was all I had for hanging anything, the only surface in my room on which to put things was a day bed or a table barely big enough on which to fit the television.
- I asked twice for at least a chair on which I could sit while I moved the television to the floor so I might do some work on the desk. It never came. I eventually had to get one myself from the dining room.
- Window unit climate control was very noisy
- Cook didn't show up for two days, and there was no one there to take her place
- Location - this part of Prytania St. and the Garden District is in serious trouble and has thusfar been unable to rebound. Granted, this is understandable based on circumstances, but I have to mention it being that this is a review.

Please understand that, save for the very last con above, hurricane damage can not be to blame. Rotten sink counters are fixable. Additional storage space is attainable. Also, part of owning a B&B is filling in when your help doesn't show.

All in all, I was disappointed as I really wanted to help out the nice owners, but I had to check out early on my own accord. Perhaps it was solely my room and that few days I was there that were off-kilter, but this was my straight experience.

6 Thank LittleSocrates
Boston, MA
Reviewed 30 January 2007

I stayed at C.G. for three weeks while doing volunteer work in the city. I could not have asked for a more friendly, convenient, and enjoyable place to stay.

Uly, the property manager, generously made arrangements that allowed me stay at C.G. while keeping within my budget; there is no way that I could have made the trip and done volunteer work without his help. Andi, the resident chef, greeted me with a hug each morning, and always cooked up a great breakfast. People came to C.G. from all over the country both to volunteer and to visit, and it was a joy to meet all of them in the courtyard and breakfast room.

If you are looking for an authentic New Orleans experience and want to surround yourself with friendly people, this is the place to be. I can't wait to go back.

3 Thank JoshuaWM03
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 27 January 2007

Not only have I had the pleasure of staying in this wonderful spot, I have personally booked rooms for friends and business partners at this location. The staff is amazing, the rooms clean and comfortable and there is no better way to greet the morning than with coffee and breakfast in the cozy dining room. Stay away from the big, faceless hotels and make your time here a true New Orleans experience at the Creole Gardens.
B. Dykes - NOLA and beyond...

3 Thank Billzbub27
Louisville
Reviewed 26 December 2006

...if you are planning for an extended stay in New Orleans. It is very centrally located and the rates are reasonable. The Bordello rooms are very nicely decorated and the staff works hard to respond to your needs.

The breakfasts served are also the best.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Bed was squeaky.
  • Stayed December 2006
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank DSGreg