“Wonderful experience during a busy weekend”

Blake Hotel New Orleans, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #75 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I'll try to make this review to the point, but I could not have asked for a better stay. I arrived during a very busy weekend (4th of July) with almost all of the other hotels in the city sold out, and so many things made my stay extra enjoyable.

Location:
Perfect. About 10 minutes walking to Convention Center, Superdome and Bourbon Street. The parking was cheaper than any other hotel we looked for - they didn't even raise their rates because of the traffic they expected during the weekend. I would definitely recommend this location to anyone wanting to experience the center of New Orleans.

Service:
Exceptional. Very easy check-in process. They had exactly the correct room we reserved. The rooms were serviced in a timely fashion, and Makeysha (sp?) did an amazing job with our mess sprawled out all over the room. Beautiful personality and service with a smile! When we had an issue with a sink clog, the head of housekeeping (Kim) was right on it. We appreciated her for all of her efforts and believe she is keeping the staff in top form. No issues with the service at all. Checkout was as easy as check-in. Valet alerted us early to request the vehicle 15-20 minutes in advance. Still, retrieving the car was very fast.

Facilities:
The facilities definitely show some wear. If you are looking for a 5* luxury room, you will need to find a newer property. However, everything was clean and comfortable. We did not stay in the room much, so this was not a problem at all for us. The lobby was nice and inviting and had the ability to print boarding passes free of charge.

Restaurant: We didn't go in, but it seemed to be pretty busy.

In all, this was a wonderful stay. I would definitely book again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I should start by mentioning the people who really made our stay special. Ronika, Sarech and JT who worked reception. We got this hotel by chance bidding on hotwire, we initially bid for 3 nights and planned to stay elsewhere closer to the airport on our final night. We actually swallowed a 10% cancellation charge to the airport hotel to stay at the blake for another night (even though we were just going to wake up and head to the airport).

I read a bunch of mixed reviews and was a tad worried. We checked in quickly, they let us into our room a good 4 hours earlier than our checkin which is awesome after waking up at 5:30am to catch our flight to NOLA. They offered our party a welcome cocktail, we proceeded to the restaurant bar and asked for a bourbon. The bar tender chose a bourban that I would describe as "sweet candy". I'm a whiskey / scotch drinker but never got into bourbons. The bar tender really knew his stuff and gave us a VERY healthy portion. All for free! Great way to start the trip.

People complain about the elevators, there are two of them and we were on the 3rd floor and never had to wait very long for the elevator.

The hotel is walking distance to bourbon street, has a nice park next door and was perfect for our boys weekend partying in NOLA. It's a nice 10 minute walk to the bourbon street and we never cabbed it or took the street car. Our 3rd floor room we couldn't hear any streetcars passing by.

They had strong free wifi covering the hotel, they also had a business center where we could print our boarding passes.

The hotel is clean, the beds are decent. I have had better beds and linen at other 3.5* but nothing dirty or poor quality about the room. The only complaint i can say is that there wasn't a pen and paper in the hotel. I got an important voicemail with a 1800 number and a 7 digit extension in the morning, and let's just say after a night on bourbon st my memorization skills weren't great. That and the bathroom could use a fan. Probably has to do with it being an older building, but when you are inside you’d never tell its an older building. Well renovated.

All in all, if I do find myself in NOLA again I will come here. Especially for the staff Ronika, Arech and JT. They almost became friends by the end of the tip. Awesome advice, and got us an extra night at a reasonable rate. They also arranged an airport cab for us who came right on time.

The staff should truly be recognized for their efforts. They were always around to help, even late late late late night.

Other nice touches were the free cookies and lemon water.

Great job!

Room Tip: We booked on hotwire which doesn't promise 2 beds, we sent them an email asking for 2 beds, and...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank HotelsRboring
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This hotel is part of the Choice Hotels group. They offer a "Best Rate Guarantee", and it is worth shopping around a little, as I found a cheaper rate within 5 minutes and therefore received our second night free of charge.

Location is great as it is right on the St Charles street car line, with access to most popular parts of town. We did not notice the noise from the street cars too much when in our room, which overlooked the park next door.

We only encountered one staff member who was was friendly and helpful, the other staff did not seem happy to be there at all.

There is a cafe downstairs in the lobby, however breakfast is not included in the standard room rate so you have to pay for that separately. Valet parking was $29.95 per night, self parking is not offered and street parking is metered.

The room itself was fine, spacious enough and everything was working, although some of the power outlets were a little dodgy.

I would recommend this property.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chocmint1980
Reviewed 14 June 2014

My sister and I stayed for a short weekend trip and loved coming back to our room after being out and about in the heat all day! Sade was wonderful and friendly when we arrived back rather late one evening! We will definitely be recommending The Blake. Thank you for making us comfortable during our trip!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank RickiGray
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

I booked this room over the phone with Jennifer and she was wonderful. We had a very late arrival and I was worried that the room would not be held or switched on us. But everything was just as Jennifer described and a very fast and friendly check in. The room was a great value, clean and comfortable.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 June 2014

My three teenage girls and I went to New Orleans for the first time, June 9 thru 1, 2014. We had and excellent time the moment we entered the hotel. Friendly and courteous staff made us feel welcome and comfortable. The staff was also very helpful with hotel special perks and near by attractions. The hotel rooms were clean, comfortable beds and well stocked with several amenities. We arrived after a long walking at the zoo and it was great when the front desk clerk let us know the hotel has refreshments ready from 4:30 to 6:30. The food was great and wonderful peanut butter cookies. My girls and I had an excellent time and would do it again. The parking service was great also for a piece of mind, because we wanted to walk or use the streetcars to get around.

Room Tip: We had a room over looking Layette Square and a great view of the city.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sarah C
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I checked in on Mem Day 2014 about 6 pm. I expected to be greeted by a bellman, but there was no one on duty. Jontierre, at the front desk had to bring the luggage to the room and there was a lot of luggage. The room was very nice and clean, but the elevator was lackluster. It was close enough to the French Quarters, Riverwalk and Harrah's for walking, and that was nice.

Jontierre was amazingly nice and knowlegeable. When I'm there next time I hope to see her!

Room Tip: I was on the 3rd floor and the room was fine...no problem.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family