Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Downtown (French Quarter Area)
Ranked #27 of 164 Hotels in New Orleans
Iowa City, Iowa
“Unexpected”
Reviewed 20 April 2011

I can not believe how welcoming and kind the staff at this hotel was... The room was giant. When I had an issue with the heat, they upgraded me to an even larger room. At this price I never expected it all to be so nice.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 17 April 2011

Ok, so the price didn't really matter to me because the company was paying. But I know what they paid. It's your normal, everyday, run of the mill hotel. For the most part, clean & friendly. They have a free hot breakfast every morning, but I would stick to the continental items. Powdered eggs? Really? I didn't think they made such a thing anymore.

Carondelet turns into Bourbon Street in a block and a half, which is great. Walking distance to most of the good restaurants and the casino. All in all - a good place to stay in New Orleans. If I were here on a vacation, I would probably be staying somewhere a little nicer.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Danbury, Connecticut
Reviewed 17 April 2011

Stayed here for 3 nights. Great location to the French Quarter. Far enough away not to be noisy, but close enough to walk there quick.

Typical Hampton breakfast. You can walk anywhere to also get food. I parked my car on day 1 and didn't touch it until day 4.

Rooms are dated, especially the bathroom. The first room I was given smelled badly of smoke trying to be covered up by an air freshener. Changed rooms with no hassle. The second room smelled much better, but you can still tell used to be a smoking room. Internet was slow at best.

I would stay again just for the location.

Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank TravelGuy400
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 15 April 2011

The rooms are huge and the building is classic and has a lot of charm. The price also includes microwaves, refrigerators, wifi, and a huge spread for breakfast in the morning - eggs, meat, biscuits, waffle makers, fruit, cereals, breads, etc. The location is awesome too - 2 blocks from Bourbon St. without being in the middle of the craziness!

I did have some trouble with the staff. My luggage was lost and I didn't get to the hotel until 11pm - without luggage. The sign in the room says to come to the front desk for a replacement of any toiletries you forgot. So, I went to the desk for some basic necessities. The guy actually laughed at me and said "why would we have those? There is a CVS down the block." Ummmm, ok, thanks, you have a sign that indicates otherwise... The next morning I needed to make a business call and my cell phone only had 2 bars of reception. I called the front desk to ask about the long distance rates. The response I received (after trying to call twice) was "I have no idea." On the last day, I called down to see if I could extend my check out - I called SIX times before someone picked up. Also, no one told me I needed a key to get into the front door after 11pm (or where to insert it) so I stood there bewildered one night until I found the hidden slot to put my key in....

Anyway, the hotel itself is great and I would definitely go back, especially since I rarely need the hotel staff, this time was an exception. Also, I think they are short/poorly staffed because when I was waiting for a taxi, there were at least 6 people around me in the waiting area filling out job applications...

So, bottom line, it's a great place if you're self-sufficient!!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Elizabeth K
Michigan
Reviewed 7 April 2011

I stayed five nights at the Hampton Inn Downtown/FQ. The St. Charles Streetcar stops just a block away from the hotel. Less than 3 blocks from the corner of Canal St and Bourbon St. Fabulous shopping down Royal Street also just a few blocks away. The staff are incredibly responsive and helpful. I arrived very late at night, when I called the Front Desk to ask for recommendations for delivery, they offered to run up a variety of menus. I had them in my hand in less than 2 minutes. Breakfast was excellent (for hotel fare). Hot eggs and a meat choice each day. Fresh fruit and lots of baked goods to choose from.

Bring your walking shoes! Many of sites within walking distance (less than 1 mile)....WWII museum, Aquarium, Riverwalk, Jackson Square, St. Louis Cathedral, Canal Street Ferry, The French Market (don't miss the Beignets and cafe au lait!!! at Dafe Du Monde).

I started my visit with a city/cemetary tour from Cajun Encounters. The driver was extremely well versed in the history of the city and the tour gave me a sense of what I wanted to see during the rest of my time in the city. The tour lasted almost 3 hours. Look for a coupon to save $6/person in the official New Orleans tour book (free all over town).

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room to get a room with a view.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 22 March 2011

PROS: 1 block off Canal and Bourbon ++ staff gave us $50 off on our room. We picked up a coupon at the LA Stateline Welcome Center that the staff didn't recognize, but they gave us a discount anyway ++ huge room ++ great help with luggage storage and valet parking on departure day ++
CONS: broken closet door almost fell out when I opened it ++ drink stains and candy wrapper outside our room door ++ view at back alleys

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 20 March 2011

I stayed here for two horrendous nights during Mardi Gras weekend. The hotel was unable to:
- Provide room keys that worked until the 5th time they were issued
- Provide bathroom access when I couldn't get into my room
- Provide the WIFI they claim to have
- Get the cot we requested into our room until 7 hours after checkin and two reminders
- Include a "Do Not Disturb" sign for the room
- Locate the TV remote that was supposed to be in our room
- Respond to ANY complaints without a sharp or nonchalant attitude from the front desk (except for Todd who was professional and helpful)

On the other hand...the hotel is
- In an ideal location, 1.5 blocks from Bourbon in the French Quarter
- Has comfortable beds
- Is clean (especially if the maid bothers to come)
- Is reasonably priced

I would stay here again if absolutely no other options were available, but there are too many friendly, organized B&B's and nice hotels in the area for this to happen.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends