Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Downtown (French Quarter Area)
Ranked #29 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 1 May 2011

Did I mention how old and outdated this property is? I have stayed in several different hotels in New Orleans and realize that most properties are quite old in this city, but this Hampton Inn was the worst.

Let me start with the positives. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. The location is great and is less than 2 blocks from Canal and Burbon Street. The bed was comfortable, internet was complimentary, and the channel selection on tv was better than most hotels. There was also a refrigerator and microwave in my room which was nice.

Now the problems.....The owners should really invest some money in this property and renovate the rooms. I'm almost suprised that Hilton allows them to carry the Hampton name. The rooms are big with very tall ceilings, but this also makes the room feel empty and cold. The whole property has a certain smell to it, almost as if you were visiting a nursing home. I think my room has the original carpeting and couch from the 1870s and I almost felt like wearing sandals in my shower because the tub basin just looked gross. I've never seen such dirty windows in my lifetime and my room also had peeling paint and cracked calking. I was here for an entire week which also included Jazz Fest weekend. The weekend rate shot up to $249 per night which is absolutely ridiculous! If a hotel is going to charge $249 per night I am going to expect some phenominal service and facilities. I only hope the owners take a portion of that inflated rate and make some much needed renovations. As a Hilton Diamond member I was quite dissapointed and will not return next time I am in town.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Wade S
ViseTricia, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Downtown (French Quarter Area), responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2011

Greetings from New Orleans! First I want to thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent trip to New Orleans! I apologize about the hotel being old, but we are, as I type, having architects and designers come up with a new, updated plan. The first project we shall tackle is the complete renovations of all the bathrooms on site. We are hopeful this will be complete by the end of this year. We will have new flat screen TV's in place by the end of June 2011. We are hopeful that the room renovations will begin this year and continue on until completion. Perhaps you can try us again in the future as we would love to have you!
Best Regards,
Tricia Vise

Write a ReviewReviews (2,048)

Reviewed 27 April 2011

Only a few blocks from boubon and a short walk to the casino. The rooms were decent size but dated, especially the bathroom. The bell staff was very friendly, helpful and grateful. The house cleaning at this hotel was so horrific that I would say it offsets the location benefit unless you make sure to note it at check in. We were there for 4 days just before and including Easter weekend and outside of the minuture trash can being dumped and the bed made (sheets were not even changed one day) very little was done. We had several empty coffee cups on a table and crumbs from a chips bag that were literally left there twice. The trash can was so small that we had to leave the newspaper and empty water bottle on the floor next to the can and they were left as well. The tub had some dripped shampoo on the rear of the tub that stayed the duration as well. It made me wonder what I should touch. It was a real shame the cleaning was so horrible because the location is close enough to being convenient and far
enough away to get away from the excitement.

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed 23 April 2011

We stayed at this property for 3 nights and were pleased with almost everything. Location is good - a few blocks from all the French Quarter has to offer but far enough away to avoid all of the noise. We walked everywhere and never felt unsafe. There were a few pan handlers here and there, but they were harmless. The hotel is in a charming historic old building, The rooms were nice and big enough for us. Our view was of a roof and a wall, but we spent most of our time out and about, so it didn't matter. The breakfast was nice and there was a manager's reception one evening which inluded appetizers and beverages. The manager was very nice, helpful and attentive. We had a problem with our shower head and he had it repaired promptly. We arrived way before check in time on our first day and he got us in right away which was great.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 April 2011

I can not believe how welcoming and kind the staff at this hotel was... The room was giant. When I had an issue with the heat, they upgraded me to an even larger room. At this price I never expected it all to be so nice.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 April 2011

Ok, so the price didn't really matter to me because the company was paying. But I know what they paid. It's your normal, everyday, run of the mill hotel. For the most part, clean & friendly. They have a free hot breakfast every morning, but I would stick to the continental items. Powdered eggs? Really? I didn't think they made such a thing anymore.

Carondelet turns into Bourbon Street in a block and a half, which is great. Walking distance to most of the good restaurants and the casino. All in all - a good place to stay in New Orleans. If I were here on a vacation, I would probably be staying somewhere a little nicer.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 April 2011

Stayed here for 3 nights. Great location to the French Quarter. Far enough away not to be noisy, but close enough to walk there quick.

Typical Hampton breakfast. You can walk anywhere to also get food. I parked my car on day 1 and didn't touch it until day 4.

Rooms are dated, especially the bathroom. The first room I was given smelled badly of smoke trying to be covered up by an air freshener. Changed rooms with no hassle. The second room smelled much better, but you can still tell used to be a smoking room. Internet was slow at best.

I would stay again just for the location.

Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank TravelGuy400
Reviewed 15 April 2011

The rooms are huge and the building is classic and has a lot of charm. The price also includes microwaves, refrigerators, wifi, and a huge spread for breakfast in the morning - eggs, meat, biscuits, waffle makers, fruit, cereals, breads, etc. The location is awesome too - 2 blocks from Bourbon St. without being in the middle of the craziness!

I did have some trouble with the staff. My luggage was lost and I didn't get to the hotel until 11pm - without luggage. The sign in the room says to come to the front desk for a replacement of any toiletries you forgot. So, I went to the desk for some basic necessities. The guy actually laughed at me and said "why would we have those? There is a CVS down the block." Ummmm, ok, thanks, you have a sign that indicates otherwise... The next morning I needed to make a business call and my cell phone only had 2 bars of reception. I called the front desk to ask about the long distance rates. The response I received (after trying to call twice) was "I have no idea." On the last day, I called down to see if I could extend my check out - I called SIX times before someone picked up. Also, no one told me I needed a key to get into the front door after 11pm (or where to insert it) so I stood there bewildered one night until I found the hidden slot to put my key in....

Anyway, the hotel itself is great and I would definitely go back, especially since I rarely need the hotel staff, this time was an exception. Also, I think they are short/poorly staffed because when I was waiting for a taxi, there were at least 6 people around me in the waiting area filling out job applications...

So, bottom line, it's a great place if you're self-sufficient!!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business