“Great Hotel; Excellent Location!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Downtown (French Quarter Area)

Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Downtown (French Quarter Area)
Ranked #20 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Saratoga Springs, New York
“Great Hotel; Excellent Location!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2011

Last year I switched hotels and stayed for a week at the Hampton Inn after one horrible night’s stay at the Holiday Inn Express (now the Cotton Exchange Hotel) across the street. I enjoyed the Hampton Inn so much last year that I decided to stay again for another week when I was in NOLA this past March.

The hotel is conveniently located on Carondelet Street, just a few blocks from the French Quarter. Carondelet Street turns into Bourbon Street about three city blocks down from the hotel once you cross over Canal Street. The trolley line runs right in front of the hotel, so catching a ride is very easy. From the hotel it’s an easy walk to most of the city’s popular restaurants and attractions.

On both stays, I found the staff to be super friendly and very accommodating. Perhaps it’s because of my Hilton Honors status, but on both visits, I was given a very large suite with nice views in either direction. On each stay, my room was huge; high ceilings, enormous windows and lot’s of charm (a nice break from the cookie cutter chain hotel look). In both incidences I found my room to be very clean; beds and pillows extremely comfortable. As I stayed for an entire week both times, it was nice to have a refrigerator and microwave in the room.

The hotel provides little perks that makes the stay a little more enjoyable; news paper waiting outside the door every morning, freshly baked cookies at the reception desk each evening and a “complementary” breakfast every morning. Mind you, it’s typical Hampton Inn fare, but still good enough to start the day. The hotel also hosts a Manager’s Reception every Wednesday evening; complementary beer, wine, appetizers and desserts; you could make a meal out of what they serve, but with all the great restaurants in the city, why would you want to?

The front desk staff was great. They provided directions when I needed them, my wakeup call was always right on time and when I needed a taxi they had one ready and waiting for me. My only complaint was that on my last stay, after being out of my room for the entire day, when I returned around 6:00 pm I found that my room had not been cleaned. However, all it took was one call to the front desk and within half an hour my room was made up from top to bottom.

All in all my stays at this hotel were both extremely positive. I’ll definitely stay at the Hampton Inn the next time I’m in the Crescent City!

Room Tip: Become a Hilton Honors member
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2011

This hotel was a wonderful place to stay. The staff from management on down to housekeeping were wonderful, professional and always helpful. They were always willing to aid you and they did it with a smile on their face. This is a great location and the rooms were large and very comfortable. they had so many little touches that made our stay great. If you needed something in your room, they were there within minutes. We received a newspaper at our door every morning; they give us a managers reception with food and drinks (all free); it was great. We received a free hot breakfast, not just muffins and coffee. They kitchen help attended to our needs and made us feel special. We had a group of 12 people and everyone was pleased and talking about what a good job they do at this hotel. Getting 12 people to agree really means something. This was oour third visit to New Orleans and the first time staying at Hampton Inn, it will not be the last.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
SE LONDON
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights on a 12 day road trip and this was the worst! We were on the 12th floor with a view of a white brick wall!!

We booked a kingsize room for us and our teenage son - when we got in the room there was no bed for him - they charged us ANOTHER $30 for a rollaway bed which barely fitted in the tiny room.

The room was old and dirty and badly needed upgrading - and if they want to continue charging these prices they really should do that.

I would NEVER stay here again or recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank AUTISMSMITH
ViseTricia, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Downtown (French Quarter Area), responded to this review, 9 May 2011
Greetings from New Orleans! First I want to thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent trip to New Orleans! I apologize about the hotel being old, but we are currently working with architects and designers come up with a new, updated plan. The first project we shall tackle is the complete renovations of all the bathrooms on site. We are hopeful this will be complete by the end of this year. We will have new flat screen TV's in place by the end of June 2011. We are hopeful that the room renovations will begin this year and continue on until completion. Perhaps you can try us again in the future as we would love to have you!
Best Regards,
Tricia Vise
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2011

Did I mention how old and outdated this property is? I have stayed in several different hotels in New Orleans and realize that most properties are quite old in this city, but this Hampton Inn was the worst.

Let me start with the positives. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. The location is great and is less than 2 blocks from Canal and Burbon Street. The bed was comfortable, internet was complimentary, and the channel selection on tv was better than most hotels. There was also a refrigerator and microwave in my room which was nice.

Now the problems.....The owners should really invest some money in this property and renovate the rooms. I'm almost suprised that Hilton allows them to carry the Hampton name. The rooms are big with very tall ceilings, but this also makes the room feel empty and cold. The whole property has a certain smell to it, almost as if you were visiting a nursing home. I think my room has the original carpeting and couch from the 1870s and I almost felt like wearing sandals in my shower because the tub basin just looked gross. I've never seen such dirty windows in my lifetime and my room also had peeling paint and cracked calking. I was here for an entire week which also included Jazz Fest weekend. The weekend rate shot up to $249 per night which is absolutely ridiculous! If a hotel is going to charge $249 per night I am going to expect some phenominal service and facilities. I only hope the owners take a portion of that inflated rate and make some much needed renovations. As a Hilton Diamond member I was quite dissapointed and will not return next time I am in town.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Wade S
ViseTricia, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Downtown (French Quarter Area), responded to this review, 3 May 2011
Greetings from New Orleans! First I want to thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent trip to New Orleans! I apologize about the hotel being old, but we are, as I type, having architects and designers come up with a new, updated plan. The first project we shall tackle is the complete renovations of all the bathrooms on site. We are hopeful this will be complete by the end of this year. We will have new flat screen TV's in place by the end of June 2011. We are hopeful that the room renovations will begin this year and continue on until completion. Perhaps you can try us again in the future as we would love to have you!
Best Regards,
Tricia Vise
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2011

Only a few blocks from boubon and a short walk to the casino. The rooms were decent size but dated, especially the bathroom. The bell staff was very friendly, helpful and grateful. The house cleaning at this hotel was so horrific that I would say it offsets the location benefit unless you make sure to note it at check in. We were there for 4 days just before and including Easter weekend and outside of the minuture trash can being dumped and the bed made (sheets were not even changed one day) very little was done. We had several empty coffee cups on a table and crumbs from a chips bag that were literally left there twice. The trash can was so small that we had to leave the newspaper and empty water bottle on the floor next to the can and they were left as well. The tub had some dripped shampoo on the rear of the tub that stayed the duration as well. It made me wonder what I should touch. It was a real shame the cleaning was so horrible because the location is close enough to being convenient and far
enough away to get away from the excitement.

• Stayed April 2011
Rhinelander, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2011

We stayed at this property for 3 nights and were pleased with almost everything. Location is good - a few blocks from all the French Quarter has to offer but far enough away to avoid all of the noise. We walked everywhere and never felt unsafe. There were a few pan handlers here and there, but they were harmless. The hotel is in a charming historic old building, The rooms were nice and big enough for us. Our view was of a roof and a wall, but we spent most of our time out and about, so it didn't matter. The breakfast was nice and there was a manager's reception one evening which inluded appetizers and beverages. The manager was very nice, helpful and attentive. We had a problem with our shower head and he had it repaired promptly. We arrived way before check in time on our first day and he got us in right away which was great.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Iowa City, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2011

I can not believe how welcoming and kind the staff at this hotel was... The room was giant. When I had an issue with the heat, they upgraded me to an even larger room. At this price I never expected it all to be so nice.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo