Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Downtown (French Quarter Area)
Ranked #27 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 13 November 2011

This is a great location for visiting New Orleans French Quarter, Riverwalk, Casino, Riverboat rides, Aquarium and many other attractions. All of the attractions that I mentioned are within an easy walk. The cruise ship terminal is walkable, or a short taxi ride from the hotel. The hotel is in an older building, nicely renovated, clean with large rooms. Breakfast was very good. Staff was friendly.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,992)

Reviewed 9 November 2011

My wife and I were headed to New Orleans for a quick 3 night visit in early November and wanted something close to everything, but far enough away to get some rest too. This was the perfect location. We took a cab from the airport, about a 25 minute trip and cost a set rate of $33 plus tip. The hotel is on Carondelet Street, which two blocks later across Canal Street, turns in Bourbon Street (and a whole other world from where you are staying). The lobby is somewhat strange as the hotel is connected to a mall with a clothing store located in the lobby. The front desk is actually in the back past the elevators. We arrived a little after 1 PM with a 3 PM check-in. Our room wasn't ready, no big deal, they stored our bags and we went out. I left my cell number and they said they'd call when the room was ready. Well, 3 PM came and went and we still got no call. We eventually showed back up about 3:15 and after what seemed to be some confusion behind the desk, we were given our room keys. As a Hilton Honors Silver member, usually I would get a snack bag or water, but here my status was never mentioned (not sure why not, I await my survey from Hilton). Anyway, our room was on the 4th floor, which also is the floor that breakfast is served on, so that was convenient. The room itself was clean, with a nice HD flatscreen. The bathroom was kinda cramped, with a shower stall that had almost painfully strong water pressure (never thought I'd say too much pressure). Our view was of a giant brick wall, not a big deal to me, just a warning to anyone expecting something different. The room had a fridge and microwave, which came in handy. The breakfast changed daily from scrambled eggs, omlettes, sausage, etc. Cereal, fruit, bagels and waffles were available daily. The coffee bar is always open, as with all Hampton's, so that is a plus. The St. Charles streetcar stops one block away from the hotel and you can take a nice tour of the Garden District on this for $1.25 each way (we took it to Commander's Palace without any issues). The hotel is within walking distance of most anything you could want to do in the French Quarter, and in a location where the noise of Bourbon Street is far enough away.

Room Tip: Fourth Floor has the breakfast area.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank marvingardens1
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Our room was fantastic, had a corner room on the 7th floor. Very spacious and loved the Hampton bed!!! Desk staff were fantastic with helping us set up a Swamp Tour. Very short and safe walk to Bourbon St. I loved that our room had 2 full walls of windows.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 November 2011

I'm a regular visitor to New Orleans. For this trip (and for the room rate) I stayed at the Hampton Inn on Carondelet Street over Halloween Weekend.

The location was good. Carondelet is directly across Canal Street with the hotel being on the end of the second block. I felt safe walking to and from the quarter. A nice but sometime annoying feature is the elevator access. A room is required to access room floors with the elevators.

The front desk staff were exceptional and very pleasant. They joked with me about the Halloween candy on the counter and which was our favorite type.

I was given a corner room on the fourth floor which was incredibly spacious, including a couch. The room had a nice flat TV, microwave, refrigerator and a safe. The bed was very comfortable and seemed to have the right firmness. I found the room quiet with a great view of the street cars. The housekeeping staff kept the room clean. Also, the heat and air in the room was perfect.

The breakfast varied each day. There was always waffles, fruit, cereal, etc. Some mornings had french toast and eggs while other mornings had turkey sausage and biscuits. I really enjoyed the variety especially given that I didn't have to leave the hotel to eat.

I noticed others commenting on the WiFi, which was a small issue for me until I connected to the AT&T WiFi.

I really enjoyed my stay and I almost hate to mention the bathroom as being a problem. The ceiling was showing signs of leakage and had damage. The major problem was the wall around the tub had been damaged which not only looks bad but has to be causing damage to the room below.

Room Tip: Get a room on the fourth floor and a corner room.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank safety86
Reviewed 3 November 2011

Old but renovated hotel about 2 blocks from The French Quarter. Valet parking at about $26. a day.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2011

My wife and I spent 1 night at the Hampton Inn - New Orleans Downtown for a wedding recently. The hotel is about 2 blocks from Canal Street and Bourbon Street. Great Location. The room itself was clean, quiet and comfortable. I would definitely recommend anyone coming to New Orleans to stay here.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 October 2011

Traveled to New Orleans to hang with an old buddy for some food, drink, fun, and Saints football this past weekend. Due to a Super Bowl Rematch, the game was predicted to be a big one (although Peyton didn’t play so it was an all out rout by the hometown team) so all the hotels in the French Quarter were sold out. Because of this, my buddy found this Hampton Inn about 2 blocks away from Bourbon Street and the Quarter. Have to say, it turned out to be a fairly nice choice. The hotel was close enough to walk in the absolutely beautiful weather and take in the city, but far enough away to enjoy some much needed peace and quiet allowing us to decompress a bit from the action before we would venture out and tackle it again. The breakfast area was quite large and found on the 4th floor of this old, but kept, building. Offerings were abundant and the food quite good. Our room was large and the beds comfortable, but as my buddy said, and I agree with him, “the bathroom is pretty tired for a Hampton Inn.” It definitely needed an update and some refreshing. We received complementary Dasani Waters and Snickers in our room. And of course, had we forgotten any toiletries, the front desk would have supplied complimentary. All in all, a nice stay in a fun town. Additionally, we easily grabbed a cab at 6:30 am on a Monday morning and were at the Airport in 20 minutes time. So, location wise, it’s decent one. Looking forward now to a Hampton Stay in Chicago. Great job Hampton Inn.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends