“Great Property & Excellent Location”

Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Downtown (French Quarter Area)
Ranked #27 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Sherwood Park, Canada
“Great Property & Excellent Location”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I had two enjoyable stays for a total of eight nights at this location, interrupted in the middle with a weekend road trip. First mention definitely should go to check-in desk staffer Latrenda, who cheerfully gave me a free upgrade as a military veteran upon each arrival. Many thanks!

My trip to New Orleans was mainly for gastro-tourism, and the hotel is perfectly situated about a block across Canal Street from the French Quarter, on Carondelet Street, which becomes Bourbon Street once you cross Canal. Excellent walking distance (other hotels in the FQ may actually result in a longer walk) but no exposure to the nightly partying crowds.

There are also plenty of good restaurants in the Commercial District where the property officially lies, including being well-centered around the John Besh ones, for which the hotel (and Hilton) were running a “Taste of New Orleans” room rate which gets you a 20% discount off your dining bill. This offer was well-used and much appreciated.

The corner mini-suite I was given (819) was very clean, quiet, spacious and made for a great home base for all my dining, music club and tour outings on both sides of Canal. If you’re also going to the Garden District, the St. Charles trolley line runs right out front. Its rumble sounds like distant thunder at first, but adds to the local charm once you’ve figured out where the noise is originating. There is a spacious breakfast each night, with a good hot/cold selection, but which I hardly used in order to keep room for lunch and onward. Honorable mention to the high ceilings and high-mounted shower nozzles, not to mention free basic Wi-Fi and local calls.

This would be my first choice on a return visit.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Eric107_11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Reviewed 14 August 2014

The hotel was extremely clean and overall very nice. It's about two blocks from Bourbon St, which was awesome! There's no hotel parking unless you want to pay the valet fee. The breakfast was very good and they provided food throughout the day as well. My only gripe with the hotel is that when the maid came through she barely picked up any dirty towels, sometimes didn't leave any clean ones, and never emptied the trash can in the room (just the bathroom). Also, the showerhead sucked and there was no fan in the bathroom. Other than these things, it was a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Steph S
ViseTricia, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Downtown (French Quarter Area), responded to this review, 15 August 2014
I am very happy that you chose the Hampton Inn when you visited New Orleans, but I am so disappointed in the housekeeping service that you received. I am so sorry! Please know I take this concern very seriously, and I will be increasing the amount of occupied rooms that I will check. I want to make sure that others aren't disappointed as you were. I really appreciate your feedback; it honestly helps me better the hotel. Please don't let that discourage you from staying with us again in the future. Again, I apologize for not getting acceptable housekeeping service.
Tricia Vise
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

I visited this hotel July 8-10 as I had a friend visiting from England for vacation, so decided to take her to New Orleans for a visit. Having read all the good reviews on Tripadvisor and having stayed in numerous different Hampton Inns around the USA, and never been disappointed, I chose this hotel for our stay. When I made my reservation I asked for a quiet room away from the elevator. After checking in, we found our room #1410 was right next to the Gym and a Maintenance cupboard. I didn't think this was going to be a problem as I knew we were going to be out most of the day sightseeing. Unfortunately this was not the case. The maintenance staff with their constant loud conversations with the walkie talkies between other staff in the hotel went on right outside of our room. This was in the middle of the afternoon. After about an hour listening to this I had to ask if they could go somewhere else and do their talking as we were trying to rest. Obviously management hadn't supplied the earpieces for them that had been suggested in a previous review. Then the vacuuming of the area outside the Gym started. I had to again ask the gentlemen if he could stop as we were trying to rest. Slamming doors etc. I could go on and on.
We checked out the next morning and I told the girl on the desk about what had been happening, as she wanted us to be 100% satisfied. She went away to talk to someone, I presume a manager, came back and said that we had booked with a third party - Hotels.com, but not to worry she would take care of it. I was traveling to Europe the next week, and having not heard anything I called the hotel. The receptionist said they were supposed to be compensating my husbands credit card 1 night stay. She put me through to the Manager On Duty, but all I got was a voicemail. I left a lengthy message with my telephone number, but my call was never returned. Why am I not surprised!
The hotel is 2 blocks from Bourbon Street, so good for location. The breakfast was adequate and breakfast area was clean.
I thought I would give the management of the hotel the benefit of the doubt and wait till my return from Europe before writing this review, but I'm sorry to say they still have not returned my call, or compensated my husbands credit card 1 nights stay. Hence my 2 star rating.
Word of advice, do not leave the hotel until you are satisfied everything has been taken care of. My next step is corporate office!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Liz M
ViseTricia, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Downtown (French Quarter Area), responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Let me begin by first apologizing for your experience here at the hotel. Unfortunately, due to this incident being well over a month ago, I cannot begin to offer an explanation. I can assure you that I have not personally received a voicemail from yourself, so I will inquire with my other managers. Again, I am very sorry you were not contacted and your problem of compensation not remedied. I would love to take care of this for you, but unfortunately Trip Advisor does not offer me your name or contact information. Please contact me at 504-529-9990 to discuss further and see how we can get you taken care of. As you can see from the stellar reviews on Trip Advisor, this is not indicative of the level of service we provide, and I hope you give me the opportunity to make it right for you.

Tricia Vise
Bradenton, Florida
Reviewed 8 August 2014

This hotel is,close to almost everything you will want to visit. Three blocks from Canal St, Bourbon St, the trolley stops. Our room was quite adequate, spacious and cool . The breakfast more that enough, and a very nice choice of foods. Robin at the front desk was most helpful to us, including giving us a key to the conference room after checking out. We had a LATE flight and no where else to go. So we watched TV and had coffee up there. NICE. Rate was just a bit more that expected, but still worth it. More reasonable than many others.I do recommend the Hampton on Carondelet.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank glkjrk
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Great hotel! We have stayed here for the past two years because they offer a reasonable parking package rate that includes breakfast; the rooms are awesomely spacious (vaulted ceilings!); a fantastic and helpful staff and a great location only 2 blocks from Bourbon Street and the French Quarter. Always a great experience!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

2 Thank Aiden S
USA
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Stayed at the Hampton Inn Downtown/French Quarter on a recent visit to New Orleans for business. Being downtown was convenient for meetings, and location lent you easy access to the French Quarter. Bourbon St, restaurants, etc. all within easy walking distance. Hotel staff was very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank blackbeard2010
Owings, MD
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This hotel exceeded all our expectations. First of all, our room was spacious. We reserved a simple double room and there was plenty of room for our family of five. We were not cramped at all. Secondly, room was modern and updated with similarly styled bathroom. Not sure if hotel has undergone recent renovation, but entire hotel was very contemporary. Very clean too. Third, breakfast was more than I expected. A nice spread with fresh, hot items and many other things to offer. Staff was extremely helpful and friendly and they also made excellent recommendations for dinner/attractions. Location was ideal--only one block from French Quarter. Charles Street trolley also passes right in front of hotel. Lastly, what a value for $129/night! Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family