“Peaceful Retreat”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Claiborne Mansion
Ranked #92 of 142 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 November 2007

The Claiborne Mansion was a wonderful retreat from the excitement of a weekend in New Orleans. I had a good experience with the owner, found her to be friendly and helpful. I'm already looking forward to my next trip to New Orleans and I hope I can stay in this beautiful Mansion again. It's New Orleans at its very best - elegant, tasteful, and as comfortable as home.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for The Claiborne Mansion

Denver, CO
Reviewed 19 August 2005

I, along with some business associates, stayed three nights at the Mansion. The location was super...close to the action, yet far enough away. The mansion, rooms and grounds were beautiful. However the owner, Cleo, was a bit fiesty. She has an interesting sense of humor and can be quite sarcastic most of the time. She had been expecting us late in the afternoon, but when we got there she had no towels/soap ready for us...and it was a hot, humid and sticky day! She said she'd quickly return with them, but instead disappeared out to the pool for over half and hour talking with another guest. She left us standing there waiting for her to return! Two of my colleagues didn't even get walked up to their rooms.
I was told we'd have two rooms ajoined by a lounge...this wasn't the case...instead we got one nice large room and another tiny room. Apparently the room that I was promised was being occupied by another guest that decided to stay longer. Cleo never mentioned anything about breakfast in the morning, nor did she show us the kitchen area. Several of the reviews I read mentioned that she had danish and coffee prepared in the mornings - which was not the case for us. I was also told that there was wireless internet which was perfect for us since we were conducting business meetings in the afternoons...however the only place we were able to get a strong signal was outside in the hot, humid weather! While the home and rooms are fabulous I can't say I'd stay there again based on the inconsistent nature of accommadations.

• Stayed: August 2005, travelled on business
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 2 February 2005

We loved this place. It is extremely beautiful and it is a remarkable value for a hotel this attractive in New Orleans. The neighborhood is also quirky and fascinating and although just out of the Quarter, not at all inconvenient. Our impression was that Cleo, the owner-manager, is an extremely nice and very interesting person. She is, however, more than a little absent-minded, which, I think, is part of her charm to some of her guests and an annoyance to others. We never saw her be rude to anyone, but I suppose it is possible that if people get angry at her, conflicts could develop. She was gracious and sweet to us the whole time. And the people she hires make sure that the rooms and grounds are immaculate.

3  Thank dbrand
Gulfport, MS
Reviewed 5 July 2004

Although Claiborne Mansion is a beautiful place to stay, the service was horrible. Never once were we asked if we needed anything or how we were enjoying our stay. Beds weren't made, no fresh towels. It was awful.
We have no plans of staying there ever again.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Haywards Heath, West Sussex, UK
Reviewed 21 May 2004

The Claiborne Mansion is a wonderful oasis to return to after a long day of sightseeing. It is in a quiet area, yet just minutes walk to the quarter and is near some excellent restuarants (if you stay there try Marigny Brasserie). The room was lovely and very comfortable, the pool and gardens beautiful. Fresh pastries were provided every morning with fresh coffee, we could help ourselves to beers from the fridge and one afternoon a plate of cheese and biscuits were provided for us. As for the owner Cleo, she is quite a character and we all got on very well with her. If you are prepared to make an effort and do not treat her like a hotel receptionist in her own home, you will be rewarded.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 4 January 2004

We had heard stories about the owner, Cleo, but decided to stay anyway.
We made reservations months in advance for a two week stay-which is a nice piece of business for a B&B during off season. On our second to last day, Cleo the owner, who had not been friendly at all during our stay, but we managed to avoid, announced we were being kicked out of our room as she had other guests that wanted our room!! Instead of asking us to move in a nice way she was very aggressive. I told her it was a great inconvenience, but she only responded we had until 1:00PM to be out of our room and she was moving us to a much less superior room. We were then bullied by her cleaning staff to move out of our room sooner and the entire experience was HORRIBLE. I have NEVER been treated so poorly in all my years of travel and I work in the tourism industry. It appears that once your credit card clears upon check-in, all the promised services cease. The pool is NOT heated, there are no afternoon cocktails and breakfast (if you are lucky) is some old bread and maybe juice. NEVER AGAIN!

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Hazlehurst, MS
Reviewed 28 November 2003

To all who say unpleasant things about the Claiborne 's management let me just say "Be nice or be gone." This B&B is run in New Orleans best Big Easy style. Don't expect anyone to fetch and tote for you. It is not a hotel. Stay at one if you feel the need to be overbearing to staff and outstay your welcome with rude behavior. We love The Claiborne and its gracious owner and we love the company of pleasant and polite fellow guests. Take you attitude somewhere else, negative commentors.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member