“This is hands-down my favorite hotel in New Orleans, maybe anywhere in the South.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Claiborne Mansion

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Claiborne Mansion
Ranked #95 of 138 New Orleans B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

I absolutely love the Claiborne Mansion AND its owner, Cleo. Is Cleo an anonymous concierge? Absolutely not! She is funny, sometimes abrasive, but always well-meaning, real, and helpful. Maybe I appreciate kooky people more than others, being from a family of lovable kooks, but to me, it just made the place feel more personal, and very New Orleans. Which Cleo totally is. I've gone back more than once and Cleo and I stay in touch off-and-on throughout the year.

On our first visit, my husband and I only paid for the least-expensive room, but when we got there, she gave us a beautiful, separate suite, because the hotel wasn't crowded, and it was available, and she felt like there wasn't any reason not to. That was just so nice and unnecessary. And the way the hotel is set up, you have access to almost all the rooms in the house if not too many people are staying there, so we could watch some Mardi Gras parades from the front room of the house, play the piano--it was like living in New Orleans! She also told us about Cake Cafe, which has the BEST king's cake and is about a five-minute walk from the Claiborne. Life-changing.

Cleo was always generous with her advice and help--she helped us park our car, she gave us books to read and suggestions for things to see and do, etc., etc. Staying at the Claiborne is almost like staying at a friend's house in New Orleans--but with the additional bonus of your friend owning the most beautiful home. Much as I prefer them, some B&Bs can be stuffy and weird and dusty--this was one that actually felt so elegant and "new" but didn't sacrifice the integrity of the historic home.

I can't recommend the Claiborne enough for travelers who like personality, authenticity, and who have good taste!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sarah b

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Kansas City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

Recently stayed at the Claibourne. Had a second floor suite and access to the balcony. My husband is a smoker so staying at regular hotels can be difficult. This was perfect because he smoked on the balcony. I would stay again just for this reason. His only problem was he's used to drinking coffee at all times of the day and night so it was not convenient to leave the room, but he said he would stay again. We liked the area because we could walk to breakfast. I didn't expect to get breakfast here because I'm not a "community eater," although we were told about the kitchen use and food that was available. We also walked to the innermost parts of the French Quarter and then on to Canal Street. Yes, it is a walk but we could take a taxi at any time. As far as changing linens and towels, we could have asked, but like hotels such as the Marriott, they ask whether we want these changes each day. I don't change my sheets at home every day. We only stayed three days. Cleo was pleasant to us. Gave us tips on eating close by, how to navigate the area we were in, and password to the internet. Yes, the train was a bit annoying but so is my husband's snoring so I always have earplugs. It was a wonderful stay. Having the run of the place was just our style. We didn't need to see the proprietress every day. The Inn was not full and I will always try to go at a time when it is not. We stayed during the weekend of the VooDoo Music Fest so lots of noisy revelers. There is hardly a weekend that New Orleans doesn't have some type of event going on, but it is what it is. I loved the books that were available. As my husband said, it was not like a big hotel, but we chose not to stay at one of those hotels. I don't think we could have gotten the sites and sounds of New Orleans like we did while staying at the Claibourne Mansion Inn.

Room Tip: Stay in a second floor room where you can go out on the balcony if you don't mind the sites and...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank inlovetraveler
Neptune, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

I didn't find the owner offensive as others did, but she certainly wasn't a charming innkeeper, perhaps strange would be the better word. She has a tendency to lecture you rather than speak to you, and her conversation is often interrupted with elongated pauses that make one think she was having a cerebral episode. We were not young revelers in need of lecturing since I was celebrating my 70th birthday with my son and a friend, both in their late 30s. I don't believe she is comfortable in the hospitality business, perhaps she could hire someone with at least a marginal personality to deal with the person to person side of the business.
The main building is beautiful. However, we only walked through it to the back. We stayed in the back upstairs which consisted of 2 bedrooms with a lounge in between and 2 bathrooms. The furnishings were acceptable while pedestrian. There were virtually no decorations on the walls, and the impression, with the exception of a comfortable chair and sofa and decent beds, was more of a cheap motel rather than a mansion in New Orleans. The bathrooms were also done on the cheap with inexpensive tile and fixtures, and KMart level toilet seats. Speaking of toilets, each one overflowed once during our stay. Soap was provided but no other amenities, no backup bathroom tissue, and one towel per person which was never replaced with a fresh one. In fact, there was zero housekeeping done for the three days we were there. Perhaps she could also hire a housekeeper.
There is really very little to recommend this place except the location and the size of the rooms. There are too many lodging choices in New Orleans to ever consider staying here again.

Room Tip: The best way to get a good room would be to book elsewhere.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank seanachie

Travellers are raving about these New Orleans hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

"The Mansion" is a wonderful, elegant, gem of a guesthouse. The owner, Cleo, is helpful, knowledgeable, friendly and very accommodating. She is rightfully very proud of her beautiful home which she has lovingly restored. As with all good places in New Orleans, this grand manse wears her age very gracefully. It indeed isn't the Ritz, but if you want a fine place to stay with spacious rooms, a beautiful private grotto in the court yard to escape to, and true Southern charm...this is the place for you. I will definitely consider this my home in New Orleans feom now on.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank TheeStacyLee
Rochester, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2012

Nice location, however the owner/caretaker is quite rude and peculiar. Although I didn't expect lavish hospitality, at $350/night, I expected common courtesy, which was not to be found. She spent the first 10 minutes lecturing us not abuse her many feral cats. We were scolded for asking for fresh towels (2 days into our stay). There is no breakfast at this "bed and breakfast" unless other guests left something behind in the fridge to eat. There were cockroaches in the room and the bedsheets were worn. Definitely overpriced. I would never stay here again...even at 1/2 the price

Room Tip: Just don't stay here at all
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank HHudson777
Cape Cod
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

The sophisticated traveler chooses the Claiborne Mansion in New Orleans in order to have a unique experience of the historic French Quarter. Its wonderfully-convenient location around the corner from lively Frenchmen Street and a charming residential area makes it an especially attractive choice. Cleo, its proprietress, is charming and very helpful. The rooms are comfortable, filled with period ambience and clean and tidy. I scratch my head wondering about the negative reviews on this site ... There's no doubt that I will return to this inn with great enthusiasm!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank JitkaTravler
San Jose, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2011

Stayed with my 3 sisters for 4 wonderful days this month. The Mansion is beautiful, our suites were spotless and Cleo is a gem! She treated us like family and gave us the run of the house. Our tour with friend Tyrone was better than ever and so personal to our tastes. Don't miss the Port of Call burgers, Three Muses, & Cafe Nichaud for breakfast. We would definitely stay at Claiborne again and give it a 5 star recommendation.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family