“Bon Maison - a wonderful home away from home!”

Bon Maison Guest House
Ranked #45 of 142 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I love the city of New Orleans ... especially the French Quarter ... and there is no better place to enjoy it than from The Bon Maison! Chuck and Butch are marvelous hosts, both very knowledgable about the city. Gracious and fun, they made us feel right at home from the minute we arrived. We thoroughly enjoyed visiting with them and with other guests staying at the guest house.

Convenient to everything within the French Quarter, The Bon Maison is located in a nice, quiet, mostly residential area. Right on Bourbon Street but away from the noise and chaos. I loved the relaxing courtyard. What a beautiful place ... just like the courtyards "behind the scenes" in Paris. Great place to read, relax, or share a bottle of wine.

I stayed in one of the rooms in the slave quarters. What a charming room! A small kitchenette with refrigerator, table and 2 chairs. A beautiful brick wall and terra cotta mosaic floor, comfortable furniture (super comfy bed and the silkiest sheets!), lots of light, a balcony, and the most charming shutter doors that, when opened, allowed the fresh air to circulate through the room. Absolutely delightful! Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: I loved my room in the slave quarters. Great for one or two people. Also saw the two bedroom suite...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jodi0916

Reviewed 26 March 2014

My friend and I stayed here for the very first time this March. From the moment we arrived until the time we checked out, we felt extremely welcome and very comfortable. As strange as it may sound, staying here on Bourbon Street felt like we were at home with our friends.

Initially, I wasn't really sure about staying at a guest house on Bourbon St. After all, the bars are open 24/7! But, Chuck, one of the owners assured me that the Bon Maison is located in the residential area and there have never been any issues or concerns in the area. He was so right. The guest house is a few blocks from the party areas, but clearly within walking distance to just about anywhere in the French Quarter - from Cafe Du Monde for beignets to Pat O'Brien's for hurricanes.

When we arrived, Chuck was in the courtyard visiting with other guests. He greeted us with hugs and was genuinely happy that we were there. He even introduced us to other guests, who were just as friendly as Chuck. It was the perfect start to our stay. Chuck invited us for beverages where we had the opportunity to meet the other owner Butch. He was equally as gracious and a true Southern gentleman!

It's really hard to make decisions about where to spend your time when you are in New Orleans. My advice is to ask Butch and Chuck. They know more about the real New Orleans, what to do and what not to do than you'll ever find in a tourist brochure.

We stayed in the Slave Quarters - Rooms D & E. They were perfect. Everything we needed was there. We loved the kitchenette, although we really didn't have time to use it. I was glad to see they had wine openers in the room. They thought of everything. There is also a small refrigerator that comes in handy for leftovers from the restaurants and keeping your beverages cold.

The courtyard reminded me of a recent stay I had in Paris. They have a nice collection of birds who love to chirp and the greenery of the garden plants was beautiful. Chuck was apologizing because the flowers weren't in bloom, but it was absolutely delightful to sit outside and enjoy the sounds of the water running through the fountain. We thought it was adorable and so did the other guests. They frequently just hung around and enjoyed what the courtyard had to offer - a great way to relax after walking around the city.

I can't overstate the importance of talking with Chuck or Butch. There have a story for just about every piece of furniture in the rooms and they can tell you all about the history of the room you are in. To able to say that we were staying in slaves' quarters is something that you'll never get from the Marriott.

I am sharing all of this with you because staying at a guest house really is different than at a hotel. If you want a great time with personalized service from people who love what they do, stay at Bon Maison.

Room Tip: Room A is adorable, but closer to Bourbon St. Rooms D & E were delightful. D is on the ground...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank critc17265
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I found Bon Maison Guest House to be a lovely place. It is on Bourbon Street but further along the street from the main party blocks. I didn't spend too much time on the property as I was too busy exploring the French Quarter on foot, but this can be considered a sign of just how central Bon Maison is to everything.

The property itself is lovely with the courtyard and fountain located back from the street. The Slave Quarter suites can be found at the back of the property and I imagine it could actually be quite peaceful, despite the closeness to Bourbon Street.

I had actually booked a Slave Quarter room but received an upgrade into one of the larger suites. It was Room A, which is larger and well set-up with kitchenette, ensuite and a comfy couch. The downside is it is the room right on Bourbon Street so a light-sleeper such as I am needed earplugs to drown out the all-night revelry. I appreciated the upgrade but next time would definitely stay in the Slave Quarter rooms.

As I was out so much I didn't really get to meet Chuck, but when I did see him and spoke to him on the phone he was very friendly and helpful.

Overall, a very nice place to stay. I would recommend it to friends/family.

Room Tip: Rooms in the Slave Quarters would be quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank AussieITGirl82
Reviewed 10 March 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights in early March (right after Mardi Gras), and had the best time in New Orleans and at The Bon Maison. As far as location goes, it is absolutely perfect. We walked almost everywhere we went, except The Garden District/Magazine Street...we took a cab bc it's a little ways away.

We stayed in the slave quarters, in the back of the property. The room had everything we needed, and was far enough off Bourbon Street to be a little more "peaceful" at night than expected.

Chuck was very friendly and helpful when we had questions about what to do in The Big Easy. We will definitely be back....this was our 1st trip to NOLA, but not our last!!!!

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank meb2879
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Location: in the Quarter, on Bourbon St., but not on the boisterous stretch. You might want to carry earplugs if you’re visiting during Mardi Gras, though. The room “A” is next to the street, and you can hear people shouting outside once in a while. Not enough to detract from all the positives, though.

Clean, well kept-up: Chuck and staff keep this clean and well-maintained. No complaints there.

Nice ambience too: it feels nice to stay in a B&B instead of a large hotel when visiting a place with as much history behind it as the French Quarter.

Room Tip: They have rooms closer to the street and further inside. Talk to Chuck about which ones serve your n...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Aamras
Reviewed 17 February 2014

My husband and I stayed in the Slave Quarters for our Anniversary. It was very clean and comfortable. We only had a few blocks to walk to all of the attractions of the French Quarter. The Bon Maison Guest House is on Bourbon, but the noise was not an issue. The security gate at the entrance made me feel safe to come and go day or night. I highly recommend this as a place to stay if you are looking for a peaceful place a block away from all the action!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Christy M
Reviewed 4 February 2014

My wife and I stayed at Bon Maison Guest House for 3 nights. (Friday to Monday). During Superbowl weekend. Perfect location in the French Quarter, near all big streets (Royal, Canal, Decatur, Frenchmen). We were safe and secure. We stayed in the Victorian suite.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple