“Horrible, violated and nasty”
Review of Chateau Hotel

Ranked #114 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Houston, Texas
“Horrible, violated and nasty”
Reviewed 8 May 2012

During Spring break 2012 had confirmed reserved room, not multiple rooms. Came back the evening before departure to find room vacated without prior notice or permission. Found suitcases, which had been moved to another room, packed willy nilly with dirty clothes and street shoes packed in on top of clean cloths. Brochures we collected from the different art galleries we visited were not to be found. Never in our lives have we ever felt so violated by such unwarranted action. Even in communist Russia we were always better treated.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Irene S
cmhnola2001, Reservations Manager at Chateau Hotel, responded to this review, 7 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry you feel we "violated" you. You were informed upon check-in of the room move and the upgrade your party received due to the fact we had to move you to a courtyard balcony room on your last night with us.

The Housekeeping Supervisor, who has been with the hotel since 1976, and myself moved your items. When we are faced with moving guests, we always strive to use the highest standard of professionalism.

We did move your party back to the second floor deluxe room after your party stated you would not be able to climb the stairs to your new second floor standard room.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Korean first
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 3 May 2012

I went to vist the French Quarter for the second time and brought a friend with me to see it for the first time. I stayed in this hotel previously because I enjoyed the location of it. It's out of the noise, the lights, and the smell of other more party-going areas. I was very excited to stay on the second floor this time (I didn't even notice the stairs last time) and when I opened the door I was pleasantly surprised to see two very adorable beds that had the four poster feel to them (with two posts instead at the head) and though there was no window because of where we were in the building it was still nice. Could have done with another light as we only had one table lamp in the corner but we just turned the bathroom light on. The breakfast the first morning was about 3 hours late, but It's just breakfast. The other days it was on time and great. The people at the desk were helpful and kind and the workers as well always said hello.

If you're looking to stay close in the quarter to Jackson Square this is probably the best location for the best price. I called to many other hotels hoping that this would be the cheapest and not booked and it was! I was so excited. The tv was also not working most of the time, but we were on vacation so we didn't need it much at all.

There are many nice places to eat and souvenir shops close by to visit. You can catch the streetcar and sit on the wharf next to the river as well with a 5-10 minute walk. Its great.

And don't forget to swim in the pool before you leave. Will stop by again, hoping that the huge cockroach we found on the last night will stay gone. They are the misquitos of the south so I can't complain. Recommended stay for sure. Lovely.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a window if you're on the second floor. The first floor windows are right on...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank amandalaren
cmhnola2001, Reservations Manager at Chateau Hotel, responded to this review, 16 May 2012
Thank you for your review and great suggestions for other travelers!

I hope you reported the malfunctioning television set to the Front Desk and I must apologize for the late breakfast. Please report all issues to the Front Desk the next time you stay with us.

We hope to see you soon!
West St. Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 25 April 2012

My girlfriend and I escaped to New Orleans to celebrate both of our upcoming 50th birthdays. This was our first trip to New Orleans. I did a lot of searching, reading reviews, and of course checking out tripadvisor. Well, we decided on Chateau Hotel for several reasons: it was central to everything, had old charm, was medium range priced, and the reviews were good and where they were not the hotel management explained why and how the concerns were handled. Well, we just got back and had an amazing time. Dan at the front desk made us feel welcome the minute we walked in the door, and so did the bell hops, etc. Our room was beautiful, well appointed and spacious. The hotel itself is very French Quarter, unique, has a beautiful pool, and a nice continental breakfast which was a great start to our mornings. Here are our notes and tips.
If you can, ask to be housed in the main set of buildings. If you like the nightlife and noise - choose an outer room, if you want a little more quiet and privacy - go for the 2nd level or inside on the courtyard facing into pool. They have a 4 room building acorss the street which we were housed in, I would have much preferred the other main building although our room was beautiful. We faced to the street and across from us was a 24 hour neighborhood bar - excellent Bloody Mary's. But it did get busy and noisy so we never opened our shades. Another thing, I think since the ventilation and air conditioning was added later (historical building) we would get cigarette smoke circulating into our room from time to time from one of the other rooms. It did bother us the smell never saw any smoke FYI. The front desk brought in a large deodorizer which helped some. And, when the A/C kicked on it dissipated it as well. So, if you plan to spend a lot of time in the room or have allergies to smoke - I wouldn't stay in this room - 156. Other than that - we loved it. I wore earplugs for 2 nights just to make sure I could sleep, my girlfriend did not wear any and she slept fine as well. I think noise level will vary based on the week you are visting i.e. festivals, and the night life. This truly was a perfect spot. We walked all over town (would not recommend a car - do not need it). We walked to Riverwalk Shopping center and Aquarium, the edge of downtown and Harrahs, along the pier, to Bourbon Street, all over the French Quarter, walked to dinner to both Broussard's and NOLA, and walked down to the big park with the museum buildings but I don't remember the name of the park (I think Armstrong). I highly recommend Chateau Hotel. NOLA was awesome, food was great at Broussard's (old fashion charm), Cresent City Cooking was great, and highly recommended www.Strayboots.com for walking scavenger hunts that take you through the history and sites of New Orleans. We will be back. Our trip couldn't have been better. Oh and take the taxi to and from airport - best way to go rather than the van to hotel. Traveled April 20th to the 23rd, 2012.
Some fun notes - Cafe Du Monde was excellent and a fun stop, St. Louis Cathedral a must, Cafe Maspero - best Bloody Mary's, Coyote Ugly - great/friendly people and they had a free Crawfish boil while we were there (it was huge), great artictic places to stop and shop, cooking class at Cresent City Cooking should be a must, and just walk around as much as you can. What a wonderful city, but beware when walking around - the streets and sidewalks are old and riddled with cracks, dips, holes, etc. And, the life is eclectic and at sometimes very sad (poverty).
Hotel Mgmt. - You need to look at the toilet in this room - it wobbles from the wall, the night table between the two beds needs a leveler on one foot, and the smoke issue - other than that perfect (these are just small maintenance issues). Oh, and I am mailing your keys too. Kathy N. & Deb D.

Room Tip: If you can ask to be housed in the main set of buildings. If you like the nightlife and noise - choo...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank luvablkate
What a great review! Its always nice to hear what others' enjoy about out unique city.

We have adjusted the toilet since your visit. I apologize other guests' smoke bothered you. I hope our solution helped somewhat.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us!

Dickinson, Texas, United States
Reviewed 18 March 2012

This place was amazing! They have on site parking and awesome staff that helped out when you asked. They bring breakfast to your room in the morning as well with the paper. The two men that worked the front office were very nice and let us know where the local eats were. The hotel is located 2 short blocks from Bourbon and 2 blocks from the French Market. It is an old hotel but has so much character and it was super clean....even the courtyard bathroom was clean!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Anna A
cmhnola2001, Reservations Manager at Chateau Hotel, responded to this review, 27 March 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review the hotel. We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay.

Thanks again for the kind words. We hope to see you soon!

Fultondale, Alabama, United States
Reviewed 12 March 2012

We've stayed here twice now. First was in November 10', for our 20 year anniversary. My husband or myself had never been to NOLA, and just happened upon the place online. We had an awesome balcony room, very clean, old, but clean. The old is to be expected, it's NOLA and it's a historic area. The balcony view was awesome, even caught a great view of a wedding coming by. Perfect!! Staff was very friendly and helpful, they did recommend some tourist info, but never felt like I was being pushed to go there. Temperature was never an issue. It's the south so of course we used the heat and air cond, during the same weekend.
Our second trip we made with another couple, we had adjoining rooms in the courtyard area, near the pool. Rooms were very nice, we were able to open the adjoining door and visit with our friends, during the brief times we were in the room. The only issue we had, was with the air conditioning in our friends room, which quit on the second day we were there. This trip was in August 11" so it was sweltering. The hotel was full on this day, and another room was not available until the next day, so we opened our adjoining door and let the cool air in during the day so it wasn't totally unbearable at night, and the hotel moved them in a new room for our last night there as soon as it was vacant. No problems, at all even adjusted the price. The funny thing was they were given the exact room my husband and I stayed in on our first trip. Again the staff was very friendly, not overbearingly so but friendly. Offered advice on places to eat and site seeing. The hotel is great for us, guess it depends on what you are looking for. To us it was quaint, perfect in location, and had everything we needed. Planning a trip back with our friends in the fall, and planning on staying here again!!!

Room Tip: Like their Facebook page, they put specials there, get an awesome price!! Ask for courtyard room or...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Angela J
We love our return guests! I apologize for the a/c issues and I hope our solutions were satisfactory.

Thank you for taking the time to review The Chateau Hotel. Hopefully, we see you next time you are visiting New Orleans.

Aalborg, Denmark
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Perfectly situated if you're on your first trip to NOLA, walking distance to a lot of sights - and sounds - so leave your car at the parkinglot, and walk. Special house with a great court yard, which has a small swimmingpool, breakfast delievered to your rooom when you want it. Free Wifi in rooms (but it actually works best in the courtyard), Friendly staff.

Room Tip: Ask for one in the house behind the pool if you need a quiet one.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LarsMorch
I'll agree with you, our location is nearly perfect for walking the French Quarter. Thanks for including the room tips-since we don't have cookie-cutter rooms-each one may offer something unique to each guest.

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review.

Roseville
Reviewed 6 March 2012

We had a very good stay at the Chateau Hotel. Our room was located in a building across St. Phillip from the reception area. It was roomy with two queen beds and an exposed brick wall, a good size closet, and the bathroom was also adequate. All of it was clean. The breakfast was continental and delivered at a specified time to your room. They do not have dining facilities. We were in a quiet location, although I understand that the rooms on the street can be noisy. The price was fair. We had no negative experiences here and would stay there again.

Room Tip: If you need quiet to sleep, ask for a room off the street.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Carol S
You stayed in our Deluxe Room with Two Queen Beds. It is far from the street and would be one of our quieter room. The hotel does not have any control over the daily comings and goings of French Qaurter noise.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay and love to hear you would come back.

Thanks for taking time to pen a review of the Chateau Hotel.