“Perfect Location, Kind People, & Reasonable Price”
Review of Chateau Hotel

Chateau Hotel
Ranked #110 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 26 July 2012

My husband and I stayed July 19 - July 24 and our only complaint is the shower water pressure is sadly lacking. Everything else was great! The staff is very friendly and accommodating (thanks again to Sarah for printing my last minute tour reservation for me). The room was clean, slightly outdated however, there were workers on the premises making repairs and updates (very polite, quiet workers). I found the people of New Orleans in general, to be very friendly and never lacking in manners. It was a great change of pace from life in Chicago.The Chateau Hotel is a perfect starting point to a magical vacation. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NicLikoudis
cmhnola2001, Reservations Manager at Chateau Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2012

You are welcome! Yes, New Orleans is a world away from Chicago it seems sometimes.

Come back and see us soon!

Thank you for reviewing the Chateau Hotel.

Reviewed 16 July 2012

Seriously, unless you are an 18 year old on springbreak with an alcohol level of 0.99%, do not stay here. The place is filthy. The first night I was placed in room #106, a small hovel near the generator that sounded like heavy construction was underway. The dirty, moldy shower backed up 3 inches of dirty water, I had to stand on the ledge and shower in order to not stand in it. The toilet didn't flush, the closet had a small panel that had fallen off which exposed a bug filled inner walling area of some sort that I was afraid rats could come out of, the rug was filthy and tattered, the corners were filled with dust and filth, the walls were paper thin, I heard my (unfortunate) neighbors as if we were in the same room. When I offered my complaint to the head guy at the desk, he had a hissy fit and told me he could not fix it until the next day. Told me I was the first
ever to complain about the noise. I was "upgraded" to a better room #225 the next day, but that too had filthy, tattered carpet. The entire hallway smelled of urine and smoke. The first day in that room I had no toilet paper and waited 3 hours and multiple calls to get it.The toilet had poop stains and when I asked the maid to clean it, she did so with no gloves!! Man, I could go on and on but I won't. I would rather forget this part on my three night trip to NOLA. I have no comparison to other hotels in the area, but I paid $101 per night, and there has to be something better than this dive! Positives: It is right in the heart of the French Quarter, but so is the sidewalk, and frankly, that's about on par with this hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid at all cost.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank safed321
cmhnola2001, Reservations Manager at Chateau Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review the Chateau Hotel. I apologize the hotel was not to your liking.

After speaking with the Front Desk Manager and the Housekeeping Supervisor, I am a bit confused at the disdain which with you write this review. The Front Desk Manager was fully aware you were unhappy with your first night's room. He placed you in an upgraded room (Queen Bed/Street Balcony) for your remaining nights. He was under the impression you were quite pleased because you indicated to him you were happy with the new room. We would have taken all steps necessary to find a room in the hotel that pleased you.

The flooring on the second floor is scheduled to be carpeted anew late this summer. Flooring does wear out and it is now time to be replaced, however, we have currently been concentrating our efforts on the first floor with freshly tiled rooms.

Again, thank you for taking the time to review us.

Reviewed 11 July 2012

My two grown sons and I stayed here July 3,4, and 5. Our room was large and clean, and it opened onto a balconey overlooking Chartres. The staff is very friendly, and the people who staff the front desk are helpful and very accomodating. There is a beautiful courtyard with a pool. The location is perfect. 2 blocks from Bourbon St and a 10 minute walk to Frenchmen. This hotel has character. We will definitely be back

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review the Chateau Hotel.

We always enjoy it when guests repost they had a lovely time in our city. Please make sure to book early for balcony locations! We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 4 July 2012

My boyfriend, his brother, his brother's girlfriend, and I all stayed at the Chateau Hotel for 2 nights (June 30 and July 1). I've been home since Monday and I literally have been in a depression ever since. I did not want to leave. We arrived earlier than planned on Saturday - no big deal! One of our rooms were ready and the other wasn't, so the friendly employee parked our car for us and took our bags to the available room. Didn't bother us a bit, we were ready to go out and play anyway :)... When we came back, the 2nd room was ready and we got settled in. We each had a King room. Perfect size for 2 people. Everything was clean, cable TV worked great, refrigerator was a wonderful touch, coffee maker was my lifesaver in the mornings! No complaints whatsoever about our rooms - we weren't in them much, they served their purpose, plenty of space for us, clean, and nice functioning amenities. The rooms are cleaned daily and you are given fresh new linens, towels, etc. Breakfast is complimentary - you have a little sheet and you're given options to choose from and you choose around what time you want your breakfast delivered to your room, along with a free newspaper every morning. Lovely little touch; I really enjoyed that. The pool area was nice and clean. We swam on the 2nd night and it felt great to cool off from walking in the sun all day long. (The pool is a saltwater pool, by the way). There is an ice machine and a Coke vending machine in the courtyard also which was super convenient for us. Our rooms were located on the first floor, close to the street and at times we could hear street walkers talking or music or the clacking of the buggy rides, but we didn't mind. This is New Orleans - soak up the sounds!!! The location is perfect. One block from Decatur (MS River), just a VERY short walk down the street to Jackson Square and St. Louis Cathedral, and 2 blocks from Bourbon Street. Awesome, awesome, awesome location! We felt very welcome and safe and secure at all times. The gentleman at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. My boyfriend and I are currently trying to plan our next trip to my beloved New Orleans (yes, this soon) and Chateau Hotel will be our #1 choice. If you are looking for five-star absolute luxury, maybe this isn't the place for you. But if you're looking for a laid back, comfortable stay with an excellent location and super nice staff for a good value - give them a try! I'll definitely be back.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mississippi_saint

I have the RX for your depression. Take one weekend at the Chateau and you should be fine!

Your review is right on. You have described us perfectly. Thanks for the great, descriptive review!

Oh, and GEAUX SAINTS!!!

Reviewed 22 June 2012

We have just got back from what was a very good holiday, we started in Florida and drove the 750 miles up through the different states to New Orleans but the only bug bear was it was 750 miles of very little scenery other than pine forests so it did get a little boring, We stopped off in Panama city beach on the way up and I will write about that on my other review. when we arrived at New Orleans we did not know where to stay so we stopped off at the information center and they were extremely helpful. They gave us the choice of 4 hotels that had vacancies but it is difficult to find them even though the french quarter is only a few blocks square but they are all on one way systems so we ended driving by it and then circling round again. We were pleasantly surprised at the cost of a King room (under $200 for 2 nights) and the room was just great, lovely soft bed own little balcony through the french doors, in fact the only thing we did not like was the attitude of some members of staff, we did not realize that if we required breakfast around the pool area we still had to put the notice on the door saying we wanted breakfast. The lad said he would get us breakfast but I should not forget his tip for doing this, being typically British we do not tip when people ask for tips so he was very rude, we then got our breakfast and I had a dirty cup so I asked the young boy to change it and he just swilled it under the tap so I did not bother with the tea next day the cups were not clean so we we went to a cafe and had tea and coffee there. but please do not let this little hiccup stop you from stopping at what is a very nice Hotel with very clean rooms and charming people on reception and the boy who parked our car was a very nice lad who was very helpful- be aware though that you cannot just park your car anywhere as they strictly enforce the parking due to the narrow streets. just a little info on New Orleans, the main street where all the entertainment takes place is Bourbon street and they have some very good entertainers along the street to stand and watch but also down one end there are some seedy places offering less than a welcome for families (if you know what I mean!!) but again bearing in mind some people want that sort of thing. The one thing I would say is find this little restaurant called "GUMBO SHOP" on Saint peter street as this does what we thought was some of the best Gumbo food which of course is a must to try when in New Orl. along with the Cat fish. Lastly we had a ride on the Steam boat "Natchez" 2 hours on a steam paddle boat was well worth the $25 each we paid and they did not rip you off for drinks etc on board. all in all I really do think the Chateau Hotel was one of the best we had stopped in as we traveled across America. I would rate the room as 9 out of 10 for position and value for money

Room Tip: We had a king size room on the first floor front corner and we did not hear any traffic noise from t...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dado 1
Reviewed 17 June 2012

I stayed here with a few friends in early May during Jazzfest. We live very close to New Orleans and visit many times a year. We have stayed at many hotels in the Quarter and on Canal. The Chateau Hotel was a very good price (even during Jazzfest) and in a great location. The staff was friendly. The parking situation is great here and affordable. The rooms are charming old New Orleans which I love. Many old hotel buildings in New Orleans have very small rooms, but I found this one to be very comfortable. You can find larger, more modern rooms in New Orleans, but they won't be in this price range. Plus I like staying in the historic romantic buildings. Our room was located right on the street, but noise was not a problem. The courtyard was beautiful. We saw many guests enjoying the breakfast room service, but we did not take advantage of it ourselves. As far as cleanliness, in this price range in New Orleans, it is a little above average. Unless you're staying in a four or five star place in New Orleans, then there's always a little give and take. Overall a great value for the location and hotel amenities. Will definitely stay again!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank AbbeyRoad84
Reviewed 13 June 2012

My husband and I stayed here for our 25th Anniversary in March 2012. We went to several areas and one of out destinations was New Orleans. What a great time we had. We stopped at the visitors center in New Orleans and found out about this hotel with a great discount. The ladies there are extremely nice, also.This hotel is so close to everything. Two blocks to the river, and one block from Bourban St. They also have valet parking, serve breakfast to your room at the time you specify, and you choose from their menu what you want for breakfast. Room is very quaint with antique furniture. There is a courtyard with pool that is enjoyable to sit out by. Let your cares slip away!! We loved staying here and would go back in a heartbeat!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lou Ann N

Thank you for reviewing us! So glad to hear you had a relaxing vacation and hope your anniversary celebration was fabulous. We hope to see you soon!