“Double check where you are actually staying”
Review of Chateau Hotel

Chateau Hotel
Ranked #114 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Iowa
“Double check where you are actually staying”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

If I could give this hotel a -1, I would. I imagine if you actually stay at the hotel, it may be nice. I booked based on the charming photos of the hotel on the website. Our group arrived late in the night to discover we were staying in an "annex" of the hotel down the block and right across the street from a popular bar. No charming courtyard. No lovely little pool. Just a wall of noise, all night long. Literally IMPOSSIBLE to sleep. Motorcycles reving up, music blasting, people screaming. After 2 days of misery, we checked out and moved to another hotel to salvage our vacation. When I was staring at the ceiling at 3:30am listening to drunk people running up and down the stairs, screaming and laughing, I was trying to formulate what I might say on tripadvisor. You are paying for the location in the french quarter, but honestly - its not worth it. The beds were worn out and uncomfortable. If you can't rest and enjoy yourself, what's the point. The hotel should have informed us we would not be staying at the hotel but down the street. They also should have let us know it would be very noisy. The front desk personnel shrugged their shoulders and said, "it's the french quarter", but I noticed rooms inside the hotel were not exposed to the frontage ours was. Also the other side of the hotel with the bank of rooms did not saddled up next to a bar that spilled over into the streets. Not cool. This could be classified as a "bait and switch". If you stay at this hotel, confirm where your room actually is! Oh and we didn't receive the free breakfast either.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Sarah D, Manager at Chateau Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
As you can imagine, I'm very disappointed that you didn't enjoy your stay with us. Our suite building has rooms 3 times as large as our normal suites, so generally guests prefer to stay there. I wish you would have alerted us to the noise. I have no problem putting unruly guests out at 3:30 am. We also have an excellent relationship with the bar across the street and would have happily told them to keep things down. Thanks for the feedback and we'll work hard to improve.

Best,
Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Korean first
Fort Smith, Arkansas, United States
Reviewed 27 March 2014

When we first arrived, I was greatly impressed by the beauty and architecture of the hotel. Also, the night concierge was very informative. I have beautiful photographs from this day. The rooms were nice. The bathroom was recently remodeled.

However, the next day of our stay, when I went to get the keys to my car, I was shocked to hear that my keys were missing. They originally tried to blame me for losing my own keys. They then began trying to contact the attendant who had moved my car earlier that morning. I went to check that my car was still in their lot. It was. It was also locked. They ordered a "repo" key for my car and didn't seem to understand why I was upset that they lost my OEM keys, house keys, and flashdrive. The next morning, they finally got a hold of the attendant, who had accidentally taken my keys home with him, and returned them to me. They did not seem to understand why I was upset, even after they returned the keys to me. Also, we never received our "free" breakfasts for either day.

Other than this debacle, it was in a great location. However, I will be staying elsewhere for my next trip to the Big Easy.

Room Tip: Don't bring your car to this hotel or expect to eat breakfast there.
2 Thank MandaZePanda
Sarah D, Manager at Chateau Hotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
I'm so sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with us. That was our mistake and we should have owned up to it better. Thanks for taking the time to write us with your feedback. We're created some new rules for our valet system, so this shouldn't happen again.

Travellers are raving about these New Orleans hotels

Monroeville, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Staff: Extremely friendly and helpful. Desk is manned 24/7.

Location: Great. Central to the French Quarter

Rooms: Make sure to request a room inside the hotel proper. Our first two nights, we were in a room in an adjacent house that opened directly onto the street. It was extremely small and poorly maintained. For our 3rd night, though, we were offered an interior room. Night and day difference. Clean, spacious, and well-appointed

Parking: Valet to a gated lot. Free with AAA membership.

Breakfast: Extremely scanty. If you're still hungry, try the Croissant D'Or Patisserie around the block.

WIFI: Spotty in the rooms, but works fine in the courtyard where there are plenty of covered tables.

Room Tip: Make sure to request a room inside the hotel proper. Our first two nights, we were in a room in an...
2 Thank Zeppflyer
Sarah D, Manager at Chateau Hotel, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
I'm so happy that we could switch you into a room that was more to your liking! We are in one of the best locations possible to explore NOLA and I hope you had the chance to explore every nook and cranny of the Quarter. Thanks for the feedback here on TripAdvisor. I hope you'll stay with us on your next visit.

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I just got back from New Orleans and one of the best parts of our visit was this hotel. The hotel is very central to the French Quarter. It's a couple of blocks from Bourbon Street, a couple of blocks from the French Market and on the same street (Chartres st to be exact) as the St Louis Cathedral and Jackson Square. There are restaurants and boutiques everywhere and give you a great feeling of being in the middle of a quaint neighborhood instead of downtown NOLA.

The hotel is very charming. Each hotel room comes with a beautiful bed and antique looking furniture. The hotel comes with complementary breakfast delivered to your door everyday, if you choose. It's open air with little iron tables and chairs in front of every door, perfect for enjoying your complementary breakfast. There are lovely plants and fountains in the courtyard and there is a pool, but we didn't use it. The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful. They even left newspapers at our door every morning.

The only reason this hotel does not get 5 stars from me is because of two things. One: the bed is a little uncomfortable. Our bed was squeaky and a little lumpy. Two: the walls are very thin. We stayed in room 240 and we could hear everything in room 241. Both of our nights we could hear the families next to us. Each night was a different group, so we know it wasn't just that they were loud. We could hear all of their conversations and despite our efforts to sleep in, we couldn't due to the early morning noise.

That being said, if I ever go back to New Orleans, I will stay at this hotel.

1 Thank AdventuresofNomNom
Sarah D, Manager at Chateau Hotel, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
I'm so happy that you enjoyed your time in New Orleans, Carly! It means so much that you would stay with us again. Thanks for the feedback on your room. I really appreciate the review and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Till next time,
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Great quaint hotel in the French quarter. We rented a car but they had valet service and parked it in a garage nearby for us. We didn't really need a car except to get back and forth to airport and a tour. Highly recommend this affordable hotel. Staff was very friendly and helpful about the good spots around town. We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed March 2014
Sarah D, Manager at Chateau Hotel, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Thank you so much for the recommendation! Hearing that you'd stay with us again on your next visit means so much to me. I really appreciate the support here on TripAdvisor and hope to welcome you back again soon.

All the best,
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Great location near Jackson Square, reasonable price, free wifi. Wife walked to Cafe D Monde each morning for coffee and felt completely safe. Taxi base rate of $33 for 2 from airport & $7 per person to Julia Street Cruise Ship Terminal.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Sarah D, Manager at Chateau Hotel, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Seeing your high rating here on TripAdvisor really made me smile, Joe! Our location is one of the best in the city, so it's great to hear that you had the opportunity to enjoy some morning strolls to Cafe Du Mont for breakfast. Thanks for the review and I hope you'll stay with us again on your next trip to The Big Easy.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

We stayed at the hotel in December 2013 after we disembark from the cruise ship.
The location of the hotel is good.
The hotel is old,the rooms are quite small and the breakfast served to the rooms is poor.
The internet connection in the rooms is bad is good only in the lobby area.
I am sure that you can find for the value better places to stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Sarah D, Manager at Chateau Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Customer feedback is very important to us, so I appreciate you taking the time to write us a review here on TripAdvisor. While I'm glad you enjoyed our location, it's disappointing to hear that you found the rest of our amenities sub-par. We're always working to improve, so I plan on addressing each of your complaints individually. I hope you'll give us another shot on your next trip to Nola.