“Old World Charm In High Demand Area” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chateau Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Chateau Hotel
Ranked #118 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Houston, Texas
“Old World Charm In High Demand Area”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Let's be clear, MOST hotels in the French Quarter of New Orleans are in 200 year old buildings, therefore, many suffer from wear and tear. Upon deciding to visit The French Quarter, one most realize that you are paying to stay in an incredibly eclectic area that is rich in history and ambiance. Hotels in The Quarter do not run cheap, with $200 for a weekend night being at the low end. As a frequent visitor, I have paid as much at $350 for a Saturday night at The Hotel Monteleone, and I can tell you that the room was nowhere near worth that amount of money. BUT, we LOVE New Orleans and The French Quarter. This leads me to THE CHATEAU HOTEL. If you want to stay IN THE QUARTER, you will not find a more reasonable price than The Chateau. I think we paid about $165 for a Saturday night. Moreover, parking anywhere in The French Quarter runs about $35 a day. At the Chateau, it was only $20, you will not find more reasonable parking than that. If you want to stay at a decent place in The Quarter and still save money, I recommend The Chateau. It is, by no means, perfect and could use some remodeling and furniture updates. But, that would increase the rates. While the rooms are worn and dated, THEY ARE CLEAN. The bed was comfortable and the air conditioner worked well. We were not looking to lounge all day in a resort style hotel. We travel to NO to enjoy the history, night life, and tours. So, the Chateau was a decent place to wash up, rest in between activities and lay our heads at night. It is also a short convenient walk to most places inside The French Quarter. We could have booked a nicer room for the same price in Downtown New Orleans, but that would have been a further walk or cab ride to our favorite spots. All the NO action in INSIDE THE FRENCH QUARTER. Thus, The Chateau provided exactly what we needed.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gypsy70Houston_Texas
Sarah D, Manager at Chateau Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
We love our city, so it was an honor to have you stay and explore the Quarter with us. Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. Next time you're coming to the city, stop in and visit us.

Best,
Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Korean first
Milton, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Great location. Close to everything we wanted. Our furthest walk was to the bus stop on Rampart to catch a ride to City Park. That was about five blocks I think. The hotel wears it's age with charm. I just loved the personal service. We had our breakfast delivered to the courtyard by the pool all three mornings. Just a few simple choices, a fruit, a bread, a juice, and coffee, hot chocolate, or tea. Just eough to get us started.
Our room was on the second floor near the pool. It was a little loud one evening from guests around the pool, but quieted down completely at 11 pm when the pool "closed."
The front desk was extremely helpful with recommendations based on what we were looking for. We enjoyed a nearby club for smooth jazz/classic rock, a locals bar with friendly regulars, and a very good restaurant on her advice.
Parking was a little high, but it is in a private, secure garage right across the street. Worth the fee.

Room Tip: Some rooms have no windows. Specify when making reservations if you have a preference. Ours had wind...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Sarah D, Manager at Chateau Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Great location, friendly service, tasty breakfast -- that's that we're going for, so it means a lot that you think we're doing a good job. Thanks for the support. Next time you need your NOLA fix, stop in and visit us.

Till next time,
Memphis, TN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

I had a discount card for this hotel I picked up at the visitors center in Jackson square. It said rooms from $69 so when I called them to make a same day reservation I was informed it would be $89 + tax. when I checked in the room he had me set up for was not rerady yet so he switched me from room 108 to rm 226 immediately even though I would have only had ot wait 20mins if I would have had to.As for the room I found the towel holder in the bathroom to be falling off the wall & needed reattached & also some of the walls needed some repair of the drywall in a few places & the chair looks kinds worn at the desk. So while I was there I walked across the street to another hotel which I had a discount card for & they said had I came there after 4pm to try & get a room they would had honored the $69 price printed on on the card (not added $20 extra like the Chateau hotel did. BUt on the upside this hotel did have a Very nice courtyard & the man at the desk when I checked in was very nice, polite & personable. As for the location, I really liked it, Being only a couple blocks from Jackson square & "lafittes Blacksmith shop" was really nice.

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the courtyard
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Sarah D, Manager at Chateau Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
I'm very sorry that your room was not prepared when you arrived, but glad that you had the opportunity to enjoy our fantastic location. Thanks for the feedback. Welcome Center cards clearly state rates FROM $69. This is available on same day reservations only and the rate changes daily because it is based on availability. Our check-in time is 2pm, if you were put in a room before then, we were trying to accommodate your early arrival.

We'll definitely work to improve and hope to impress you on your next visit.

Till then,
West Melbourne, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

We were not sure about staying in this hotel, so we just stopped by and checked out the condition of the room and the hotel ourselves. We knew it was the type of hotel from one of the old buildings in French Quarters. But the room turned out to be to our liking with two full beds, spacious, clean, and a balcony overseeing the surrounding streets. So we took it and spent a night there on special walk-in rate. The pool in the hotel was also great and my kids enjoyed it. The best thing about the hotel is its location,....it is within French Quarters and within walking distance to everywhere you want to visit or see in New Orleans: Bourbon Street, Jackson square, cable streetcar, Mississippi river banks, the restaurants in the area, and the flea market. Breakfast was quite basic, but it was delivered to our room based on our order the night before, which was nice. Would definitely stay there again when visiting New Orleans.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Yongki
Sarah D, Manager at Chateau Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
I'm so glad to hear that you would stay with us again, Yongki! It mades me very happy that you had the chance to experience the unique culture of the French Quarter first hand. Thanks for the wonderful feedback. We'd be honored to have you and your family stay with us again sometime.

Cheers,
Abilene, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

After reading tons of reviews of dozens of hotels, we finally decided on this one based on a friends recommendation. Pros: GREAT location-- very quiet, but we did have a courtyard room. I think any street side room in the French Quarter would be noisy, but overall this was a quiet area. Our room was very spacious. Great atmosphere. If you want luxury, this is not the greatest, but for atmosphere and service, it was great. Nice pool. Good beds. Helpful desk staff- especially in the evening. During the day the service staff was also good, but the desk staff not as friendly. Cons: you have to walk through the carriageway to get to the rooms--- this would be fine, but this is where all the employees and some guests gather to smoke. Our room didn't have a place to hang towels, which I thought was odd. The a/c worked REALLY well... but it only had two levels-- really cold and off.

Room Tip: Face the courtyard. We had the honeymoon suite (not really sure why it's called this-- it didn...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness
Sarah D, Manager at Chateau Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review here on TripAdvisor. I'm glad that you enjoyed our location and accommodating beds. Our reviews are taken very seriously, so I definitely plan on using your feedback to make the Chateau Hotel even better. Next time you're in town, I hope you'll choose to stay with us again.

Till then,
Sandy Springs, Georgia, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Had us waiting in the lobby for 1 hour and 15 minutes after check-in time for room to be ready. My daughter got to listen to the staff "cat calling" women walking by on the street. Finally got put in a still-dirty room with no windows. Our television was smaller than my computer monitor (literally). They left out 1/2 of the items we ordered for breakfast. Photos were *much* nicer than reality. Paid $290 total for the Sunday after 4th of July so naturally costs were higher. The stay wasn't worth even half of that, even with the good location. Would have had a better experience at a Motel 6.

Room Tip: Request room with windows. Ours didn't have any. Be careful of check-in time. Had us waiting for...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Sarah D, Manager at Chateau Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
While I personally apologize about the wait, it seems shocking to me that my staff would be 'cat calling' women on the street. This is truly unacceptable and not something we condone within this establishment. I plan on speaking with all of my employees who were working that weekend and getting to the bottom of this.

Travellers are raving about these New Orleans hotels

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

A prime location is just about all the pricey Chateau has going for it. Luxury this isn’t, if you’re looking for a classy boutique hotel keep on looking – (think about private apartments – the ones across St Philip Street looked fantastic). The Chateau looks okay from the street but the rooms are severely outdated and no effort or expense has been invested in improvements for decades – they need a major overhaul. One of the worst beds I have ever slept-in in my life. The drapes, furniture, bed, carpet and decor all need immediate replacement. The room was very dirty and although serviced daily I don’t think this establishment owns a vacuum cleaner!!! Not a carpet any self respecting person would place bare feet on – Be warned. The front desk staff – of which there were many – were – to a man/woman – rude, unprofessional, uncaring and made no effort to even make eye contact with you, or even speak to you, when you were dealing with them - I felt totally unwelcome – people less suited to a customer service role I could not imagine. Coming from the UK – when we visit the USA annually we have come to expect a fantastic welcome and top notch service – in over 20 years of visits this is the first time I have been treated so badly. On a plus point the young guys dealing with the valet parking and taking your bags to your room were very switched on and friendly and helpful – if only that rubbed off on the front desk staff. On balance - we won't ever be staying here again.

Room Tip: In terms of noise – we were on a second floor street facing balcony room and we did not have any noi...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
2 Thank FBDM2014
Sarah D, Manager at Chateau Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
I want to personally apologize to you for the bad experience. While we are a historic hotel, this does not mean that our accommodations should be anything less that hospitable. I really appreciate you leaving us some feedback. We will be discussing your review at our next staff meeting and working hard to improve.

Best,