“Huge room ,great staff, great location!”

Avenue Plaza Resort
Ranked #67 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 2 October 2011

We stayed at the Avenue Plaza last weekend for a wedding, and received a fantastic group rate. For the price, we expected a glorified motel experience, and instead had a great nice hotel stay. The room was huge, with a large window with city views. Room 1219. King bed, kitchenette (no oven - everything else, including dishwasher and full-sized refrigerator), great bathroom and lots of space. There is a pool, gym, and easy valet parking, all right in the heart of the Garden District. The staff were friendly and efficient, the room was spotless and the bed (with six pillows) was luxurious. The shower has a sweet huge shower-head that is very nice.

I highly recommend the Avenue Plaza.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RobD_CM
There are newer reviews for Avenue Plaza Resort

Reviewed 30 September 2011

My husband and I stayed in studio #414 from Sept. 23 through the 29th. The resort, located in the historic Garden District, is completely renovated and just beautiful, the staff is fantastic. Within 2 minutes of arriving, I had been given the tip to purchase daily streetcar passes ($3.00) instead of the 5-day Jazzy pass, thereby saving money. Check-in and check-out were quick and easy. The streetcars stop right at the resort. The streetcar drivers are aware of the resort and if you ask they will let you know when it's time to get off. The consierge has a map of New Orleans, for the asking, and so you can quickly learn your way around. We found everyone, in the resort and on the streets, seemed to love coming to our assistance. Also, ask the consierge for a map of the Garden District self-guided walking tour. The gorgeous walking tour is within a 4 block area near Ave. Plaza. I walked the route after I took a "Save Our Cemeteries" tour and also The Original N.O. Movie Tour. With all I learned from those tours it really made my own Garden District walk that more meaningful.
Our studio looked brand new and we have never stayed in a timeshare so well equipped. Let's start in the kitchen: granite countertops, nice size refrig., microwave, 2 burner flat stovetop, dishwasher, blender, toaster, coffeemaker, 4 piece settings of plates, glassware, utensils, dishwashing detergent for sink and dishwasher, pots and pans, 4-cup coffee packets (delicious coffee- as I used up packets I asked for more from Lobby desk), small salt and pepper, paper towels, microwave popcorn, ice bucket, coasters, dishtowels and oven mitts. A nice sized table and two chairs for meals. We had a comfortable king-size bed with 6 pillows, 2 end tables with lamps, alarm clock, 42" flat screen t.v. sitting on small armoire which my husband used for some of his clothes. The bathroom is small but the shower (with 2 shower heads) was the width of the bathroom. Plenty of towels, hairdryer, and samples of lotion, shampoo, conditioner and soap. Granite countertops in bath and small dressing area. The closet was a small walk-in with two levels of shelving, a safe, a broom, iron and ironing board. There were 3 mirrors- one in bath, dressing area and a long one by the entrance door. We pack only carry-on luggage and the storage was fine for us. If you pack BIG you may want a one-bedroom. This is a timeshare resort, no maid service, so if you want daily cleaning I'm sure you can arrange it. We do without because I'd rather not "clean up" before the maid comes in (I don't find making the bed and doing dishes all that difficult on vacation).
As it was hot, sunny and humid all week, the pool was great for floating and cooling off. I loved sitting in the courtyard around the pool, surrounded by the haunted Ashley house, listening to the water in the fountain and sounds of the streetcars going by. In case of an emergency there is a phone, in the pool area, for calling the Lobby Desk. They have thought of everything! Pool towels are at the Lobby desk for the asking and can be dropped off on the Ashley House porch. The sundeck is a staircase above the 12th floor. It has tables, chairs, loungers and great sunset views. It helped orient us to the crescent- shaped city.
There are numerous grocery markets and restaurants within a short walking distance to the resort.
Next to the Lobby is a computer access room for guests, 3 computers with a printer. How simple,convenient and timesaving to print out my boarding passes for our flights home. The day before we left I asked the porter about transportation to the airport. He recommended Charles Ritz and made arrangements for pick-up. Charles was on time, with a roomy SUV, a bright smile and friendly personality. I wish I had known about him when we had landed in N.O. Talking to him would have been a great way to start our vacation.
The best thing going for Ave. Plaza is the friendly, respectful and helpful staff. Everyone always acknowledges you and when I mentioned how beautiful the resort was, their faces lit up like they owned the place. The resort has a gorgeous and convenient location, fantastic units and the greatest staff. Southern hospitallity is alive and well at Ave. Plaza. Wyndham you done good!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
12  Thank jojomomma54
Reviewed 17 September 2011

Great help, room & location. Room could have used a mirror besides the small one in the bathroom.

Room Tip: Ones on top floors have great view.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 September 2011

The hotel staff was superb. Everyone we encountered greeted us with a smile and offer to assist with any questions or needs. Even a contractor doing work on another floor was very informative as we rode the elevator.

Room was spacious and very comfortable. Location on St. Charles and proximity to Tulane was perferct for our stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank FWMSU
Reviewed 29 August 2011

Stayed for 1 week in August and just loved it. Our suite was clean and there was plenty of space. We were in town for a convention and had shipped many packages in advance. The packages were stored and and everything was in order. Concierge Big Jerome and Herb assisted us in getting transportation to take my packages to my event and on the return. Thanks to you guys you are the best. All the staff were very eager to assist and we appreciated it. Very professional staff! Hope to see you all again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank hatladybv
Reviewed 24 June 2011

I did not have hot water for two days. When i notified the front desk they said they would take care of it. I ended up complaining three more times that day. It was not taken care of until the day after my initial complaint. When i asked for a refund, the hotel said that they responded the issue as soon as they were made aware (bs!). I guess a day and a half is "as soon as" they get around to things there.
They also charged me twice for my room(s) and i still have not seen the credit.
It was and still is, a giant pain!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
6  Thank JPSLC
Reviewed 14 June 2011

This is our home timeshare resort but my first time returning to New Orleans since Katrina. Avenue Plaza was out of commission for about a year repairing the storm damage, so I wasn't sure what to expect. It's located in the Garden District right by the streetcar line.

Fortunately, they have gotten things back in order. We own a studio unit, so in addition to it being VERY SMALL, the bedspreads & furnishings are a bit dated. But we were barely in our room so it was fine. The bathrooms are nicely remodeled but very tiny. The toilet seat would not stay up. We mentioned this to the staff, who said they were aware of this issue in the new toilets & would be addressing it. There was remodeling happening on our floor but it was quiet at night.

The staff were so helpful and friendly. We were only there 3 nights this time, but can't wait to return! The St Charles street car stops in front of the resort, which makes it easy to get into the Quarter. However, the stop to catch it home is on the outskirts of the FQ and isn't a place we felt comfortable waiting around at night, so we often caught a cab home, which ran about $10-12 without tip. (Generally, we did feel safe everywhere we went, but we always try to use caution at night in ANY city.)

The great thing about the Avenue Plaza is it's pretty quiet since it's away from the French Quarter, but close in proximity so we can get there quickly. It's also in a lovely part of the Garden District, and we often did walking tours to see all the old, beautiful homes in the neighborhood.

The studio unit has a small table/chairs and kitchenette, so you can reheat or refrigerate all that meal you couldn't finish in one of the billions of great New Orleans eateries. Basically, we've taken Harry Connick Jr's advice about this great city and plan everything we do around our meals.

Stayed: October 2010