“A wonderful vacation experience” 4 of 5 bubbles

Avenue Plaza Resort
Ranked #62 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersSilver level
Palm Bay, Florida
“A wonderful vacation experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012

From the moment we arrived at almost midnight, we were greeted with smiles from a very pleasant and helpful staff. We had a one bedroom unit on the eighth floor. It was clean and spacious. There was a full mini kitchen with a full size refrigerator and two burner cooktop. It even had a small dishwasher. The living room had a sleep sofa, table with four chairs, an easy chair, coffee table and a large flat screen tv. A queen bed, night tables, a dresser and another flat screen tv made up the bedroom. The bathroom had a modern large shower, sink and toilet. The bathroom was small but fine for what you need a bathroom for. We had wonderful views from our eighth floor windows. The whole unit was clean and comfortable. We did utilize the resorts valet parking service. We feel this was well worth the charge. You drop off your car at the entrance to the resort and the valet parks your car in the private parking lot reserved for valet. When you need your car, just call from your room and your car is ready at the front door in ten minutes. The valets are friendly and courtious. To get around, there is public transportation that stops right in front of the resort. Unfortunately, the St Charles streetcar was down for maintenance so we had to use the city bus. A daily pass, for only $3.00, is good for unlimited rides on both the streetcars and bus for the entire day. The guest lounge, located by the pool, has hot coffee, iced tea and lemonade available to the guests every day.

There are several nice restaurants close to the resort. A great place for breakfast is the Trolley Stop. Nothing fancy but good food at good prices and very generous servings. For dinner you have Copelands Cheesecake Bistro, VooDoo BBQ, Mia's and more. The resort has Mr. John's Steakhouse.

Are there things that detract from this wonderful resort? Yes. The unit only has one mirror. It is the one in the bathroom and is only large enough to show your face. A full length mirror on the door would be a welcome addition. The resort says they have free wifi throughout the resort. They do, but it is so weak you can't connect to it. And if you do connect you lose the signal after 1 - 2 minutes. Our room fronted on St Charles Ave. There was minimal road noise from the normal traffic but when an ambulance went by (and there were many) the siren sounded like it was right in your living room. Soundproof windows would be nice.

Overall, our stay at Avenue Plaza was a wonderful experience. The friendliness of the staff, the clean comfortable rooms, the location and the amenities of the resort outweigh the negatives. If we return to New Orleans, we will definitely stay at Avenue Plaza. I recommend it to anyone coming to New Orleans who wants a comfortable and convenient place to stay.

Room Tip: Higher floors have great views of the city
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Sgtmatt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Guadalajara
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

Very well located with everything around for the stay. You have free washer and drier for dirty clothes. Clean rooms with appliances and dinnerware and great staff. You can park around the corner and not pay for the valet parking. Restaurants on a walking distance.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank maitevf
Delray Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

We've been owners of Worldmark for nearly 16 years, but this was our first trip to Avenue Plaza. We booked two studios -- one for my husband and I and one for our friends traveling with us.

The studios were furnished nicely, had kitchens, but no adequate mirror. The only mirror was the tiny mirror above the bathroom sink. To see myself fully dressed, I used the mirror out in the hallway by the elevator. Yeah, that was weird but it wouldn't prevent me from staying here again.

The staff were overwhelmingly friendly, genuine and appreciative of us. Each morning, we received a "Good morning" when passing the front desk. Upon return in the evening, we received a, "Hello" or, "How was your day" or, "How are you?" All four of us literally felt like we were royalty simply based on the consistent friendliness we encountered. It was noticeable and appreciated.

If what happened on our last morning could be erased from my mind, I'd give Avenue Plaza 5 stars. However, our last morning was not good. As Worldmark owners, our checkout time was Noon. For everyone else, checkout is at 10:00 a.m. Since it was our last morning, and our flights left in the late afternoon, we wanted to take this morning to sleep in and really relax in bed for the first time since we had been go-go-go for 4 days. At 9:45am we had a knock on our door from a housekeeping gentleman asking us when we planned to check out. My husband told him Noon. He thanked my husband and walked away. Around 10:30am, there was another knock. I answered this time. A housekeeping lady asked when we planned to check out. I asked her why she was the second person to knock on our door, and she just apologized. I told her we'd be out by Noon. Then, about 11am, we received a phone call asking when we planned to check out. My husband told the man that checkout time was Noon, so we'd be out by then. At that point, we both decided that they really wanted us out of there, so we packed everything up and left. It was hardly a relaxing morning with staff trying to get us to leave well before checkout time.

Even given this, I'd stay here again, but at the start of my stay I would impress upon the staff to NOT bother us and pester us to leave the room on our last morning well before checkout. There are no "Do Not Disturb" signs for the doors, so I see no way around this other than to inform them ahead of time to stay clear of our room. I may actually bring my own sign to hang on the door on the last night. Other than that, I recommend this hotel -- well located right on the St. Charles Streetcar line and next to several eating options -- Cheesecake Bistro, Trolley Stop cafe, Igor's (a laundromat and bar) and a few pubs (Avenue Pub is good!) down the way. It's only a few block walk to Magazine Street as well, which is a great spot for a low-key stroll past the mansions of the Garden District.

Stay here. You'll be happy!

Room Tip: The elevator noise could be heard in rooms near the elevator.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
9 Thank TrvlGrl12
PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

My daughter and I spend a weekend here while job hunting, school interviewing and house hunting. This was the perfect home base for all of our explorations. We have made many many trips to New Orleans but this was our 1st time staying outside of the Quarter. It was wonderful! The staff was amazing, so very nice. The rooms were spacious and well appointed, the beds very comfortable and everything upgraded and modern.
Having the streetcar stop right out front made everything so easy.
Would recommend this to anyone visiting this amazing city!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank Tour1252
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2012

we stayed here for about 4 days with our timeshare exchange. the staff were friendly and helpful and the place was clean(newly renovated bathroom too). the bed was comfortable and the suite was spacious..but the best part of our stay was the location! it was right where the st charles streetcar stops in the garden district so we didnt have to drive around exploring NOLA (parking can be hard to find downtown unless to opt for pay parking).. there's a walgreens nearby and some good local restaurants like the voodoo barbecue as well as some fastfood places like kfc. it also has a pool area (we didnt get to hang out here because we were out exploring the city) and a fabulous roofdeck with a view of the city skyline!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Cyan501
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012

We stayed at the Wyndham Avenue Plaza the week of Memorial Day through our timeshare. The hotel was in a nice location. Though we were far from downtown, we could catch the trolley to downtown, which the stop happened to be just across the street. This was very convenient and we could be downtown in a few minutes.

The amenities of this resort were very nice. There was a deck in front of the hotel where we could sit, drink a cooler or beer or smoke while feeling the breeze and watching people and cars go by. There was also a sun roof where we could just rest and look over the city. The fitness center was very nicely equipped. It was like my YMCA was picked up and dropped in the hotel; way better than most hotels and other resorts I've been to so far. We didn't get to see the pool as it was down for renovating.

I definitely recommend this resort. It has everything you need while on vacation. Plenty of restaurants, bars and stores within walking distance. The hotel is in the Garden District, which turned out to be a very nice location. We had a good and if in NOLA, we will be back.

Tips: There is a Wal-Mart about 5-6 blocks away from the resort, where, of course, you can get affordable snacks, food and drinks. Just ask for directions, driving it's only 5 minutes away if that. There is a laundry room in the resort that guest can use for free where you can leave for home with clean clothes.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Sivetta O
Oakland, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2012

We were very pleased with the Avenue Plaza. We stayed 6 nights during the second weekend of Jazz Fest 2012 (May 2-8). The location was great and so easy to take the St. Charles street car. A plus for Jazz Fest attendees was that the city bus stopped right across from the hotel and took you right (with many stops, but that was a great way to see the city) to the fairgrounds where JF takes place. We stayed in a 1 bedroom and it was really nice, recently redone and clean. The kitchenette had everything you could possible need and had granite countertops, stainless appliances and some had looked like they had never been used! It was a bit pricey, but I guess that is just a product of coming during a very busy time. The reason I gave 4 stars instead of 5 is that the bathrooms are VERY small, like another reviewer said, no fan in bathrooms, and at the time we were there the pool/back patio area was closed because they were renovating. I think they could have done this during the winter vs. May, when the weather can be pretty HOT. I also would have appreciated some kind of notification when I made the reservation. I am not sure it would have made a difference, but I would have appreciated knowing.

Room Tip: We chose a room that did not face St. Charles in case the streetcars were loud. I am not sure you e...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple