“If it weren't for the lack of cleanliness and attention to details, I'd rate this resort higher.”

Avenue Plaza Resort
Ranked #77 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 27 November 2010

The Wyndham Avenue Plaza located at 2111 Saint Charles Avenue in New Orleans is located in a great location and is conveniently located within a few steps to the streetcar (locals frown if they are called a trolley). The employees and concierge at the resort were enthusiastically friendly and helpful. Check-in and check-out were very efficient. Unfortunately, that was about the only positive experience from our stay at the Wyndham Avenue Plaza (at least for our one-week trade with R.C.I.).

We were disappointed with our 1-bedroom condo because the lack of attention to details within the unit. The fit and finish of some of the trim pieces (very sloppy painting and installation). The TVs were old and didn't have the best picture quality. Thankfully, my husband and I really don’t watch much TV. I was bummed that there was no bathtub in our unit. Only a shower was provided. I was informed by an employee that there are no bathtubs available at the entire resort. Our bathroom had much to be desired. The shower head in the shower broke off its holder. I noticed black mold in some areas and it really needed to be re-grouted and resealed. The tile work was crooked and uneven (not much quality workmanship). The seal around the shower door was horrible and we found it difficult to keep the floor dry “outside” the shower. The holder for the toilet paper roll was pulled away from the wall. Maintenance's fix was a free-standing toilet paper holder. We found the bedroom clock was broken and they replaced it but with a bit of a delay. I phoned them early in the evening and they said they’d send someone up with a replacement. It never showed. I called them the next morning and I was assured they’d bring a clock to our room. We came back late in the evening and it still hadn’t been replaced. On the morning of the THIRD day I went directly to the front desk and talked politely with a very apologetic lady and she told me she’d personally take one to our room. Thankfully the clock was there in our room when we came back later that evening. The sofa (couch) in the living room looked a bit tattered and we could see some parts of the fabric that were ripped and hanging underneath.

We added one day at the end of our existing reservation with WorldMark by Wyndham. We moved from our 1-bedroom unit into a studio. We were very pleasantly surprised to have a remodeled room! :) All the furniture, carpet and appliances looked fairly new. The shower was still an issue because there was black mold still visible in some areas but not as much as the other unit. The tile workmanship had much to be desired (crooked, uneven cuts, and filling huge gaps with grout). I don’t understand why someone would not take more pride in their work. On a positive note, we appreciated the nice size electronic safe that was provided in the bedroom free of charge (it was big enough for my laptop to fit in). The bed was very comfortable and we really liked the assortment of pillows that were provided. We slept well and both my husband and I are thankful for that since we both deal with chronic back pain. The fitness room is very well furnished and there's a wide assortment of cardio, weight machines and free weights. The high-speed internet had something to be desired. It was incredibly slow when I tried to upload photos. At times I would let my computer load the photos when I went to sleep.

All-in-all, I would stay at the Avenue Plaza but only if we were promised to stay in a newer furnished unit. The resort is located in a beautiful section of New Orleans within a 5-minute walk to the official Garden District. The streetcars are very reasonably priced. One-way is only $1.25 or you could pay $5 to ride the streetcars and buses all day in the city. What a super deal! Don’t bother renting a vehicle unless you want to pay almost $12 a day to park it at the resort and then more money for parking spots in town (if you’re so lucky to find a spot and one that is secure/safe).

2  Thank bfromhold

Reviewed 19 November 2010

I didn't know this was a time share or member ownership resort as they like to call it. I agree with a previous review on the rooms. I stayed on the 11 floor and the room was nice, next to the elevator, and not disturbing at all. They don't clean your rooms unless you are a member owner, so if you want clean sheets they will send extra to you room, but I had to make the bed myself, Extra towels well you need to wash them at any available washing machine which is free. I asked for extra towel twice and they never sent them to my room. Check in was painless and quick The valet staff is very nice some of the front desk people were snobby. Arvette. I think that's her name checked us in, very friendly and knowlegeable of the area. I would stay here again get area and right at the street car stop. nice resturants in walking distance. nice view of the city on the skydeck

1  Thank dallascowgal22
Reviewed 18 November 2010

I would recommend that if you are staying at this resort, request a renovated room, floor 4 and above. Otherwise you will be stuck with older furnishings. Worst of all you will be stuck with a rock hard bed and maybe a window in the bathroom that does not close all the way, and a door key that chooses not to work 4 nights out of the 6 we were there.

The best thing about this resort is the staff! They are very nice and always willing make suggestions on local places to eat. I could write a book about how nice they were to us on our honeymoon. The other great thing is the courtyard in the resort. It is very relaxing after a long day of walking. The front desk has games for you to check out and a great reck room to watch TV and play them in. Great location for the street car, right outside the resort, to get into the French Quarter. Make sure to take a short walk to the Trolley Stop for breakfast, just down the way from the resort, well worth it!!

1  Thank npoplaski
Reviewed 17 November 2010

This property is in a great location for those wanting to stay outside the Quarter and get a great value. It is right along the Streetcar line so a trip to the Quarter or into the Garden district is quick and convenient. The staff here is some of the friendliest I have ever encountered in my travels. The doorman was a great guy and always had a smile on his face. Although I have been to NOLA numerous times and feel more than safe the doorman warned me not to wander too far by myself the first night as I walked out the door heading for the convenient store down the street. The fitness room is very spacious and the outdoor pool/garden area is a really nice place to sit and read or have a cold beverage. Can't comment on the food because I don't travel to New Orleans to eat in my hotel. The property is undergoing some renovations but it didn't bother us when we were there.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 November 2010

The Wyndham Avenue Plaza is conveniently located and easy to find if driving from the airport. The Garden District is a beautiful area to take a walk and enjoy the beautiful homes and gardens of this neighborhood. The trolley to the FQ stops in front of the hotel. The staff were friendly and helpful. Rae was the overnight front desk worker and she patiently helped me log onto to their WiFi when I had problems. (Hint: ask for the pass key when you check in but also ask for the name of their connection as it wasn't the one that seemed obvious based on names.). My friend and I stayed in a 1-bedroom. The separate bedroom had a comfy bed and was quiet. The living area was huge and felt homey. The sofa bed was ok but the mattress was a bit thin. Folks who are picky might not sleep well on it but I did fine. We had to ask for pillows for the sleeper as there weren't extras in the room but these were delivered promptly. I have learned to travel with an extension cord and outlet expander because most older hotels lack adequate bedside outlets for laptops + cell phones and was glad I had them with me. The only outlet near the sofa was behind it and in the middle. I only noticed this after pulling the bed out and it was too heavy for me to move. The furniture provided was nice. The TV was older but I don't watch TV so it didn't bother me. The carpet was a bit aged but did not seem dirty. The bathroom was small and lacked counter space but the shower was huge and always had hot water and great water pressure. The outdoor courtyard was fabulous and was what drew me to book here. I also appreciated being able to print my boarding passes for free in the business center. My only complaint was the long waits for the valet to bring my car. The valets were working their hardest but there simply weren't enough of them. After a very long wait one night, the next night a valet named Shawn went out of his way to apologize to me which was very thoughtful. I will happily book here again for my annual trek to NOLA!

• Stayed: November 2010
Thank drkatel .
Reviewed 18 October 2010

We just returned from a great vacation in New Orleans.

Avenue Plaza is conveniently located right on the Streetcar line so not having a car was not an issue. The one bedroom apartment we booked was spacious and equiped. The bathroom was tiny but the big living room and bedroom made up for it.
What a nice staff they have! Everyone we met was friendly and helpful.
Copeland's Cheesecake Bistro a few doors down was a good place to eat close by though our server Chris was just awful and the temperature was set on FREEZING!
Lots of great shopping and eateries close by within walking district in the Garden district.
We will deffinatly stay here again

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank M02Phoenix
Reviewed 12 October 2010

We enjoyed our stay at the Avenue Plaza Resort. We found the accommodations comfortable, the decor beautiful (newly done) and the convenience to the St. Charles streetcar was perfect to connect with downtown NOLA and the French Quarter. Your staff was very personable; however one concierge did send us to a restaurant that was closed on Sunday, and we had to ask for a coffeemaker. We would suggest hanging an additional mirror in the area off the bathroom and perhaps a loveseat, as there is plenty of space in the room to add additional seating.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends