“Essence Festival” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Antioch, California
“Essence Festival”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2010

I stayed at the Avenue Plaza and it was nice. I had been reading the reviews about the hotel and I got scared because some of them weren't that good. However, the front desk was very helpful and friendly. Each day they greated us with smiles, hi's and conversation. The resort was actually nice. The studio was big. The bathroom was small, but it was remodeled and I loved the hot shower. I would defintely stay there again. I made another reservation for 2011.

The location was good because it wasn't in the thick of things. The trolley stop was a good breakfast place and the Cheesecake Bistro had very good food. What I liked about this location is that it had the trolley right outside and there were still good eating restaurants within walking distance. I travel alot and I was nervous based on the reviews, but it is ok.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
4 Thank snaduti

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
nB cANADA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2010

Location is great-trolley line just across the street as well as a tourist information center that was most helpful.We had rooms on the 12th floor.Both the Studios & 1 bedroom suites were updated,very clean & had great view,Bathrooms were small but had a large
shower.I would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
Wilton, California, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2010

Our stay was great, efficient and pleasant staff, and good location. Arvette was especially helpful when we checked in. Our reservation was not on file, and within 10 minutes she had us in a newly renovated room. The Resort is right on the Trolley line, you can buy 3 or 5 day passes at the littel store down the street that covers both the trolleys and the buses. It is $1.25 each time you hop on the trolley or bus so the pass is a good deal. Something we did find out later was that there is a Senior rate of .40 per ride. The French Market is a ggod stop to make after you have shopped around as there are some good deals there as far as hats, knick-knacks, etc. The Resort has a welcome center and you will be offered an opportunity to preview the newest resort, no pressure to attend which we liked. We actually stopped into the the newest resort to ask questions, got a tour, asked our questions and got answers without a sales pitch. The welcome center has all the tour information and can book your tours right there. All in all we had a wonderful trip and enjoyed New Orleans greatly.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christine95693
Kapowsin, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2010

The Wyndham Avenue Plaza located at 2111 Saint Charles Avenue in New Orleans is located in a great location and is conveniently located within a few steps to the streetcar (locals frown if they are called a trolley). The employees and concierge at the resort were enthusiastically friendly and helpful. Check-in and check-out were very efficient. Unfortunately, that was about the only positive experience from our stay at the Wyndham Avenue Plaza (at least for our one-week trade with R.C.I.).

We were disappointed with our 1-bedroom condo because the lack of attention to details within the unit. The fit and finish of some of the trim pieces (very sloppy painting and installation). The TVs were old and didn't have the best picture quality. Thankfully, my husband and I really don’t watch much TV. I was bummed that there was no bathtub in our unit. Only a shower was provided. I was informed by an employee that there are no bathtubs available at the entire resort. Our bathroom had much to be desired. The shower head in the shower broke off its holder. I noticed black mold in some areas and it really needed to be re-grouted and resealed. The tile work was crooked and uneven (not much quality workmanship). The seal around the shower door was horrible and we found it difficult to keep the floor dry “outside” the shower. The holder for the toilet paper roll was pulled away from the wall. Maintenance's fix was a free-standing toilet paper holder. We found the bedroom clock was broken and they replaced it but with a bit of a delay. I phoned them early in the evening and they said they’d send someone up with a replacement. It never showed. I called them the next morning and I was assured they’d bring a clock to our room. We came back late in the evening and it still hadn’t been replaced. On the morning of the THIRD day I went directly to the front desk and talked politely with a very apologetic lady and she told me she’d personally take one to our room. Thankfully the clock was there in our room when we came back later that evening. The sofa (couch) in the living room looked a bit tattered and we could see some parts of the fabric that were ripped and hanging underneath.

We added one day at the end of our existing reservation with WorldMark by Wyndham. We moved from our 1-bedroom unit into a studio. We were very pleasantly surprised to have a remodeled room! :) All the furniture, carpet and appliances looked fairly new. The shower was still an issue because there was black mold still visible in some areas but not as much as the other unit. The tile workmanship had much to be desired (crooked, uneven cuts, and filling huge gaps with grout). I don’t understand why someone would not take more pride in their work. On a positive note, we appreciated the nice size electronic safe that was provided in the bedroom free of charge (it was big enough for my laptop to fit in). The bed was very comfortable and we really liked the assortment of pillows that were provided. We slept well and both my husband and I are thankful for that since we both deal with chronic back pain. The fitness room is very well furnished and there's a wide assortment of cardio, weight machines and free weights. The high-speed internet had something to be desired. It was incredibly slow when I tried to upload photos. At times I would let my computer load the photos when I went to sleep.

All-in-all, I would stay at the Avenue Plaza but only if we were promised to stay in a newer furnished unit. The resort is located in a beautiful section of New Orleans within a 5-minute walk to the official Garden District. The streetcars are very reasonably priced. One-way is only $1.25 or you could pay $5 to ride the streetcars and buses all day in the city. What a super deal! Don’t bother renting a vehicle unless you want to pay almost $12 a day to park it at the resort and then more money for parking spots in town (if you’re so lucky to find a spot and one that is secure/safe).

2 Thank bfromhold
Chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2010

I didn't know this was a time share or member ownership resort as they like to call it. I agree with a previous review on the rooms. I stayed on the 11 floor and the room was nice, next to the elevator, and not disturbing at all. They don't clean your rooms unless you are a member owner, so if you want clean sheets they will send extra to you room, but I had to make the bed myself, Extra towels well you need to wash them at any available washing machine which is free. I asked for extra towel twice and they never sent them to my room. Check in was painless and quick The valet staff is very nice some of the front desk people were snobby. Arvette. I think that's her name checked us in, very friendly and knowlegeable of the area. I would stay here again get area and right at the street car stop. nice resturants in walking distance. nice view of the city on the skydeck

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank dallascowgal22
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2010

I would recommend that if you are staying at this resort, request a renovated room, floor 4 and above. Otherwise you will be stuck with older furnishings. Worst of all you will be stuck with a rock hard bed and maybe a window in the bathroom that does not close all the way, and a door key that chooses not to work 4 nights out of the 6 we were there.

The best thing about this resort is the staff! They are very nice and always willing make suggestions on local places to eat. I could write a book about how nice they were to us on our honeymoon. The other great thing is the courtyard in the resort. It is very relaxing after a long day of walking. The front desk has games for you to check out and a great reck room to watch TV and play them in. Great location for the street car, right outside the resort, to get into the French Quarter. Make sure to take a short walk to the Trolley Stop for breakfast, just down the way from the resort, well worth it!!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank npoplaski
Indianapolis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2010

This property is in a great location for those wanting to stay outside the Quarter and get a great value. It is right along the Streetcar line so a trip to the Quarter or into the Garden district is quick and convenient. The staff here is some of the friendliest I have ever encountered in my travels. The doorman was a great guy and always had a smile on his face. Although I have been to NOLA numerous times and feel more than safe the doorman warned me not to wander too far by myself the first night as I walked out the door heading for the convenient store down the street. The fitness room is very spacious and the outdoor pool/garden area is a really nice place to sit and read or have a cold beverage. Can't comment on the food because I don't travel to New Orleans to eat in my hotel. The property is undergoing some renovations but it didn't bother us when we were there.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends