“Feeling at home while away”

Avenue Plaza Resort
Ranked #65 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersSilver level
Long Island
“Feeling at home while away”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2011

The location of Avenue Plaza was very good. The streetcar ran directly across from the hotel, though the schedule was not reliable. The unit we were in was recently renovated and nice. Small kitchenette area with a stove top cooking area and microwave. Kitchen and bathroom had granite countertops. Bed very comfortable. Bedroom on the small side with no closet but there was a small closet upon entering the unit. Staff was extremely pleasant always offering a greeting and a "Welcome Back" when we returned from a day out. Guest services staff helped with suggestions. We were concerned over the notices stating renovations taking place but we did not experience any noise. Took a great Garden District/Cemetery walking tour, which we met in front of the book shop located in "The Rink" bldg. Our guide Dave was wonderful and informative. It was only $20. For eating out near the hotel, Cheesecake Bistro was only a block away and offered a nice meal at an average price. For breakfast the Trolley Diner has a 2 eggs, 2 strips bacon & small grits for only $2.99 between 6:30 - 8:30 a.m. each day. I would recommend Avenue Plaza for it's comfortable accomodations, nice staff and good location.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank LuckyL

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2011

I stayed with 7 other people for 4 days in feb.2011. The place is very beautiful and above the Sheraton etc. The bellman unloaded all my luggage with no hesitation, 12 bags, and brought to our room. The room, 1 bedroom, was excellent. Kitchen and bathroom in granite, decorated very nicely. Lots of room even wtih 4 of us in each room The view from the room, 12 floor, was great, showed all the city. The free internet room was better than pictured. The Manager and all the staff were very helpful and very nice with smiles on there faces. I would stay at this place again.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2011

We are four seniors (65-70-71-80) and both rooms were rated #2 (terrible). We've been to a great number of hotels and resorts. Only good thing is the street car location stops.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank fourseniors
Plano, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2011

We are Wyndham owners Avenue Plaza continues their standard of providing clean nice place with a Friendly and Helpful staff.. We were in a 1 BR suite on the 12th floor with wonderful view could see the ships. Accomodations well equipped, clean and comfortable, we used their large gym. St Charles Trolley Streetcar stop across from resort nice 15-20 min ride to Canal and Bourbon. If a senior over 65 only costs $.40 must show ID. Valet parking about $11 perday. Neighborhood in lovely Garden district with old homes. Williams market next door even has great homemade Spaghetti and Meatball dinner for 2 for $5.99 to go. Free tour of haunted historic Ashley House daily at 4 pm. We look forward to returning again. Easy 15 min and safe walk to wonderul Jackson Restaurant and Blue Plate Cafe see seperate reviews.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RichDar
North Central, Pa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2011

I stayed in the Avenue Plaza for a week on a recent trip while my husband stayed at a church a few blocks away with a team of college Katrina volunteers. From the exterior, the hotel is clearly an older facility that from the interior has been rehabilitated and brought into the 21st century.

My room was delightful-- a fully-equipped kitchen with a two burner stove, dishwasher, a small standard sized fridge and granite counter tops; a king sized comfortable bed with great linens, an outstanding view of the city, and an in-room safe. The only negative about it was that there was a beautiful, large tumbled limestone shower with a rain head and hand shower as well, but no tub. (It was way too cold to use the heated pool and hot tub outside.)

I should mention that there is no daily cleaning of the room (since it is a time share hotel), and that towels are not replaced by housekeeping, except on the weekends. Rather, the guest can exchange towels daily on the first floor if s/he wants to. I did take advantage of this ability, and saw the entrance to the spa and gym on that floor, which both looked great, but I didn't use them. The prices on the spa treatments seemed high to me, but I'm not from a city, so I really am not familiar with these types of costs in an urban area.

As far as the common areas of the hotel, they were uniformly beautiful. Here the only negative was that the elevators didn't appear to have been renovated as yet; maintenance staff were working on one of them during the week I was there, however. I took advantage of the complimentary washers and dryers once during my stay, and the complimentary coffee and lemonade / iced tea daily. I wish I could have spent more time on the roof top deck, but again, the weather didn't cooperate. I used the free in-room wifi (with a connection of good to very good) daily.

The hotel is located adjacent to the gorgeous garden district and directly across from a street car stop on St. Charles Street, which made going into the French Quarter a $1.25,10 minute delightful ride away. There are any number of restaurants within walking distance in the neighborhood, as a well as a Walgreen's that has a more-than-expected food selection so I could take advantage of the kitchen in my studio apartment. There is also a small market a few steps away from the hotel, but I didn't have occasion to use it and a tourist bureau across the street, which I did go to.

The staff of the hotel, from the concierge to the bellman to the desk clerks to the housekeeping and maintenance personnel were friendly and helpful. They were not only willing to answer my questions and give me advice when I asked, they were also interested in my volunteering, the reason for my being in the city.

I had a AAA price for this hotel, which was a wonderful value. The only issue I had was that the entire 8 night stay (with tax $794) was charged to my credit card as soon as I made the reservation-- three months prior to my stay. I travel extensively, and I am used to being billed at most the fee for one night for a confirmed reservation, with the remainder collection at the time of the visit. I'm not sure why Wyndham billed this way, unless it was due the the hotel's being a time share facility, but it was a bit annoying and unexpected.

All in all, this hotel exceeded my expectations. At the price I paid, I would definitely recommend it to a friend (in fact, I already have), and I would certainly stay there again should the occasion arise. No question in my mind about the 5 star rating.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank NJgrancee
Silver City, New Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2011

There are a lot of differing opinions about this property, but I think a lot of it has to do with what you may be looking for.

We wanted a place that was inexpensive and well-located and were less concerned with amenities, so the Avenue Plaza served us well. It is situated in the Garden District, which is arguably the most beautiful part of town, and is right on the St. Charles streetcar line. (As a matter of fact, the New Orleans Convention & Visitors Bureau is about a half-block from the hotel; stop there first and buy a three-day or five-day 'Jazzy Pass' which entitles you to unlimited rides on streetcars buses...and save on gas, parking, and cab fare.)

We were in a large renovated room with a full kitchen (including dishes, utensils, cleaning supplies, etc.) two large beds, a flat-screen TV with DVD player-- what more do you really need, if your goal is to spend your time seeing the city, hearing good music, eating fine food?

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MitchHellman
Trevose, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2011

OUr stay at the Avenue Plaza was an exchange with our timeshare, and we were really happy with it. We got a great deal for a week , although we could only stay 4 nights. I asked for and got a renovated 1 bedroom room for my husband and adult daughter and myself. It was a little tough with just one bathroom, but we managed fine as we were barely ever in the room. My only complaint was the lack of mirrors - there is only one in the bathroom, none in the bedroom or anywhere else. Other than that, the hotel is in a fabulous location with the street car right outside. We had a car, and the valet parking delivered it to us every time we needed it right away, no waiting. We also found no problems with the service at the hotel - from the front desk to the valet parking, all were wonderful. Would stay again and would recommend highly.

Stayed January 2011, travelled with family