“New Orleans at its best”

Sully Mansion Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #23 of 138 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Philadelphia, PA
“New Orleans at its best”
Reviewed 13 June 2009

Sully Mansion Bed and Breakfast is beautiful and under Nancy and Guy's guiding hand is getting better all the time. The Garden district location is lovely, especially as it is only 2 short blocks to the street car, making it easy to get around without a car. Nancy and Guy are wonderful hosts, with great suggestions for restaurants, music venues or anything else you might be interested in.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Washington, DC
Reviewed 30 May 2009

My four sisters and I traveled from our respective homes in Florida, Virginia and Washington, DC for our annual "Sistahs' Trip" this May. Every year, we pick a different destination, and this year, we're chose New Orleans during Jazz Fest. We're all big fans of Victorian architecture, so we were delighted to learn that one of the 19th century's most distinguished architects, Thomas Sully, designed the white shingled Queen Anne that is today's Sully Mansion B&B. Nancy and Guy have lovingly decorated it with period furniture and have begun the huge task of bringing it back to its former glory. Nancy's an excellent cook, and breakfasts were bountiful and delicious. (Yes, she shares her recipes.) We especially appreciated the festive welcome basket Nancy created at the request of a friend back home who wanted to surprise us -- and how she cheerfully mailed a pair of sandals to the scatterbrain sister who left them behind.

The location of Sully Mansion can't be beat -- easy walking distance to fun restaurants and shops on Magazine Street and one block from the picturesque St. Charles Avenue streetcar. We loved taking the streetcar to Canal Street, then hopping off and walking the short way to the French Quarter. Back at Sully Mansion each night, sitting on the front porch and looking out at ancient live oaks laden with Spanish moss was quintessential New Orleans Garden District!

M.A.H. Washington, DC

• Stayed May 2009
1 Thank AnneWashington_DC
Connecticut
Reviewed 28 May 2009

Once you walk in the door off the very welcoming porch, you step in to a beautiful, warm, and nicely appointed space, I was welcomed by Nancy ,the Inn owner and Gracie - the adorable and friendly Inn dog. I immediately felt welcomed as I was shown to my room, the smallest and least fancy room in the Inn. Despite it's size, I found the coziness and adorably decorated room quite comfortable. The bed was exceptionally comfortable. I doubt I will ever find more accommodating and gracious hosts then Nancy and Guy. The breakfast was delicious every day. They even served us breakfast early on Tulane graduation day so we would all be on time. Nancy even loaned me a pair of her shoes so I would be more comfortable. That is the only reason I did not steal Gracie!

• Stayed May 2009
1 Thank dbp4567
washington dc
Reviewed 28 May 2009

A warm and welcoming Bed and Breakfast that makes you feel instantly at home. Nancy and Guy the owner/operators are on top of their game! I recommend staying there any time you are in New Orleans. The Sully Mansion is located in the heart of the Garden District so the views when walking are incredible. We will stay there again.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
texas
Reviewed 26 May 2009

I though this ranked average at best. And, what really spoiled my experience during my stay was the host . She appeared to be having a bad week. She had absolutely no sense of humor, clearly was a northerner with no "southern hospitality" and kept hovering over me for example - I wanted to enjoy the morning porch with a book and spotted a book my sister had recommended in the bookshelf in the common room. I go and sit in the front room and begin to flip through it and she immediately comes into the room and says"did you get that book from the library? -you know, you won't be able to finish it during your stay" obviously, guests may have been helping themselves to the books, which I had no intensions of keeping. Another time I helped myself to a mango drink she had on the backboard and sat in the living room waiting for my party and she came out and said I would not get another for breakfast since I was helping myself to it then. Really, it seemed to me as if she might have had a history of "bad guests" and was on the look out and was suspicious of everyone. I didn't feel welcomed and even skipped breakfast so I wouldn't have to be subjected to her cold behavior.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
5 Thank TexasBbbb
Maine
Reviewed 22 May 2009

This Victorian gem is a best-of-class B&B, situated in a beautiful, quiet Garden District neighborhood one block from the St. Charles Street streetcar, with ample street parking. Our high-ceiling, gorgeous room combined elegant period furnishings and the most comfortable bed ever away from home. Guy and Nancy Fournier are gracious, accommodating and generous hosts, going out of their way to make the visit exceptional. A gourmet breakfast started each morning with fancy, homemade pastries and custards, egg cassaroles, fresh fruit and strong coffee. The porch is a great place to enjoy quiet conversation a good book, surrounded by large shade trees and lush vegetation that characterizes the Garden District. I recommend this to anyone who wants to get away from the sameness of 4-star hotels in exchange for a memorable stay that expresses the essence of New Orleans charm and elegance.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Lafayette
Reviewed 2 May 2009

Alison and I will always cherish the loving, family like atmosphere created by the hosts. Nancy devoted special attention to our diet and made sure we were well taken care of. We were quite taken by the cleanliness and hospitable nature of Sully Mansion. It made our first B&B experience and our first anniversary one of fond memory.
See you next year,