“Faded Rose”

Ranked #119 of 164 Hotels in New Orleans
Houston, Texas
“Faded Rose”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

This was an interesting stay. I think it's a bit overpriced on the weekend rate. Don't expect any thick fluffy towels or luxury bed linens. If you cannot climb stairs then you must get the desk clerk to unlock the ancient and very slow elevator each time you need it. There is no assigned parking, you have to take your chance to find on street parking.
Now for the good parts. The staff seems to be very limited but also very willing to please. We were there to attend a wedding, the reception being at The Columns. This is a wonderful venue for a reception! Food stations were set up in various rooms and the food was excellent. We also ate breakfast in the dining room both mornings and enjoyed that. The best part though was sitting out on the wonderful porch and enjoying the view. The Garden District is convenient and beautiful. Our room on the third floor was okay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Ggauntann

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I booked 8 rooms at the Columns,June 12-14.Our reservation was initially messed up,however Ben,front desk staff was professional and very apologetic,Georgia was such a sweetheart.Almost all of our issues were resolved promptly.The property was perfect,the great southern breakfast,the wonderful bar,the beautiful mansion,and a great location in the garden district. It can get a bit noisy,as it's a local favorite,however local favorites speak volumes!!i will def be back!FYI the streetcar tracks are currently under construction,not anything to do with the hotel, however, it was a bit of an inconvenience.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank dbelle123
High desert
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

Not sure What makes this place so appealing to me since the drinks are Over prices and the food menu was not too impressive; but after years Of Living in New Orleans, I finally made it to the COLUMNS... And it Made me Immediately comfortable. Loved walking around the inside and enjoying the splendor. And then I left for a bar that sold drinks at a reasonable price.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank CaseyHighdesert
Cresskill, New Jersey
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We left New Orleans in 1964 (yes, there was a 1964) to return this Spring with my wife of 51 years (yes, marriages do last that long...we'll talk later) to renew our love for New Orleans and renew some old friendships. My bride insisted on The Columns for our stay. Because we are still married, I found a week when we could stay at this property and not invade a wedding reception. The best choice she and I have ever made...in a hotel. The Columns has the character of NO and the spirit of The Big Easy. Yes, we'll admit to old...but the bar and restaurant and music had a yesterday and today vibe. Come, check your "uptight" at the door and enjoy this fabulous slice of New Orleans of yesterday and today.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Warren E
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 18 May 2014

My husband and I spent four nights at The Columns, and I would recommend it to my friends. The building is a 19th century mansion on St. Charles, so understand that it's not a modern spa-like hotel, but it is very charming. The neighborhood is residential (I was hoping for more shops and restaurants), and safe. We did not want to be in the city center. The hotel was a great bargain considering it included breakfast and parking was free. Last year at a different hotel near the French Quarter we spent $30/day plus tips for valet parking. Not only did we save on breakfast, the breakfasts at The Columns were so substantial that we usually skipped lunch. (The breakfasts are your basic bacon/eggs/toast/fruit/juice/coffee--not innovative, but plenty good. Community coffee [NOLA brand] was excellent and plentiful.) We never had a problem finding parking close by. We were on the 3rd floor and usually took the stairs, because the elevator is small and slow. There is a lovely balcony on the second floor where hotel guests can have their coffee or afternoon libations (we shared a bottle of wine bought at the grocery store). We couldn't pick up the wi-fi signal in our room, but could in the dining room and sitting room near the front desk. Room was very nice, bathroom was adequate and clean, bed was comfortable with nice sheets. Staff was friendly and helpful. The St. Charles streetcar was not running in early May, because of construction, so you might want to check on that if you were counting on it for transportation. There is a bar downstairs that can get noisy at night, but it didn't really bother us on the 3rd floor. It's always a good idea to pack earplugs when you travel. If you like new and shiny, The Columns is not for you, but if you like a hotel with local character and charm, I would highly recommend this hotel. I think it would be hard to beat for the price.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank econnie
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Our first stay at this hotel. From the outside it was everything you expect. Our check in guy in the afternoon was very friendly. Parking was limited to on street parking and that was a bit of a bummer being that it is a very busy neighborhood.
Elevator is locked and has to be unlocked by hotel staff which is understandable but a bit of a headache. We were in room 22 and it was nice. Bed was comfortable, really small tv.
Night clerk was not as nice as day and wouldn't get up to unlock elevator. Problem for us because i have RA and harder to walk up three flights of stairs.
Breakfast was very good and check out was a breeze.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I stayed here for a wedding party and really enjoyed it. The hotel is old and the floors creak when you walk over them. The main stair case is slanted from the years and the only elevator is in the back and controlled by manually closing the door. If you sit next to the air vents, you can hear the next room's conversations as if you were in the room.
Staying at this hotel was an experience that I will always remember when I think of New Orleans. The city was working on the street-car rail, so there was no noise from the trains at night - good or bad, depending how you look at it, sometimes it's nostalgic for me to listen to them. Regardless, the very large oak trees that line St. Charles Ave. look really beautiful. Plus the Garden District allows somewhat of a buffer from the city feel. I would recommend this hotel to anyone that wants to absorb an experience and feel of a different time.
P.S. - The movie Pretty Baby was filmed almost entirely at this location, hence there is a 'Pretty Baby Suite'

Room Tip: The 'Pretty Baby Suite' has minimal windows and an older, not-so-comfortable bed.