“great lobby/bar area; OK room”
Review of Columns Hotel

and 1 more site!
Columns Hotel
Ranked #118 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
A TripAdvisor Member
“great lobby/bar area; OK room”
Reviewed 23 September 2004

My 3-night stay at the Columns was fine. As a former New Orleans resident, I had been to bar on the first level of the Columns many times and was excited to check out the guest rooms. (Even if you don't stay at the hotel, definitely check out the bar. The bar has great happy hour deals, gorgeous Victorian decor, and a huge columned porch with a nice vantage point over St. Charles Ave.) I stayed in the $120, "cozy" queen on the 2nd floor. The room and bathroom were small (the bathroom was really small) but clean, and as plain as can be. Compared to the great ambience downstairs, I was kind of disappointed by how spartan the guest rooms were. The bed was a fine size for me (5'8), but my 6'4 companion was uncomfortable in it. Be advised that the rooms do have a serious "old house" odor, but it adds to the character of the place. The staff was helpful and friendly, but the service was very no frills. One perk is the guests-only balcony upstairs, which I thought was great for relaxing with a drink and a book. Overall, I thought the room was a bit overpriced for what I received, and if I stay here again I will definitely pay a little more for a nicer room. I think that in the future I will just stay elsewhere and come back to enjoy the porch for happy hour, but the great downstairs area is enough to make me consider returning.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Reviewed 1 August 2004

The Columns is wonderful place to stay if you don't mind other people staying with you that won't split the bill. My experience at the Columns started out wonderful. The bar is excellent especially happy hour, the rooms are lovely, the staff is great, and the decor beautiful. However on the third night, I was visited by someone who didn't want me there. This spirit made my room freezing, no air conditioning on, and then the bed shake. It took me and my boyfriend three more shakes over what seemed like eternity but was more like an hour before the bed finally shook so hard, we jumped out grabbed a blanket and headed to the lobby, jamy's and all. Once we got down there, another enternity, the staff immediately knew we were staying on the third floor and the stories started coming. By the end nite or morning, I had called my parents at home and asked for them to pay for another hotel someplace else so I could sleep some place without a "history". I never went back into my room but did venture with a hotel maid back to the third floor to visit another room that had many sightings and hauntings. To this day my own recollections of the events send chills down my back and make me feel a bit leary of sleeping.
Enjoy your stay but don't sleep on the third floor.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 June 2004

The bad news first: Upon receiving a receipt during my exit from The Columns, I discovered I'd been double billed. I most pleasantly pointed out the error, wherein I was treated to the incoherent ramblings of a desk clerk who apparently failed first grade math. After a managerial rescue, I was promised a credit to my card within twenty-four hours, which was expeditiously accomplished one week later after repeated phone calls. ;)

The second night of my stay, I heard what sounded like a shower of small stones coming from the adjoining (and providentially vacant) room. It turned out that a large portion of the plaster ceiling had fallen in after being nearly disintegrated by water damage seeping through from the poorly renovated roof.

But ALL is not dystopia at The Columns: for starters, the ambiance is awesome! If you long for old time southern charm in a hotel that's haunted with the history of a bygone era, this is the place! The stained glass and vintage furnishings are beautiful and the charming view of Saint Charles Avenue is only enhanced when seen from the cushioned wicker lounges and glide-rockers dotting the 2nd floor veranda. (Add a lemonade and it can't get any better.)

Though the deterioration in the adjacent room inspired visions of mildew infested carpets and moldy sheets, I really couldn't have been happier with the quality and decor of my own accomodations, which featured a sleigh bed and a claw-foot bathtub/shower that only a hygiene-nazi like myself would think to fantasize about. ;)

Come evening the portico starts to party with guests and locals, young and old alike congregating to drink and socialize, and the vibe is intimate and colorful, making it a great place to hang out and enjoy the scene.

Anyhow, all and all, it's a gamble, but despite all the problems, I'd have to say that for the price, it's probably worth the risk.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 August 2003

After reading all these reviews, I feel that some folks may not get a fair assessment of the Columns Hotel. I'm a New Orleans native. I stayed at the hotel in March 2003. I always recommend the hotel to friends and family. It is an awesome place to stay (and drink).
Granted, the hotel is old and historic. It doesn't have all the luxury of a modern $$$$ hotel. However, the Columns Hotel has A+ class and charm. You'll find no better! I highly recommend that you check with the desk clerk before booking to verify that no weddings or parties are booked. If you're looking for a great "real" Uptown New Orleans experience, look no further. If you're old and grumpy, find another place to stay. If you're the type who travels out-of-town to watch TV in your room then perhaps this isn't your type of place. Otherwise, come and enjoy. New Orleans is cool and unique, so is the Columns Hotel!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 2 July 2003

After reading the previous reviews, I must give my version of the Columns Hotel. I have been living in New Orleans for three years now, and I am getting married at the Columns Hotel this year. I have told my out of town guests that they can stay at the Columns Hotel during their stay, however, I have suggested other places as well. If I were coming from out of town and I were not staying at the typical Holiday Inn or the Sheraton (which they have downtown New Orleans) I would gather more information about my chosen place of stay before booking a room (Specially if it's an unfamilar and non-chain hotel). I can't imagine not asking if the hotel will be hosting any parties or events (such as weddings with live bands), knowing that New Orleans is a city where people come to celebrate and party. Yes, the Columns hotel may not have all the amenities that the bigger chain hotels may have; but it is located in the BEST area of town, the bar is great... and taking the trolley ride to downtown adds to the experience. If you have any special needs this is not the place for you to stay.. but if you want to get a true flavor of the garden district... either stay at the Columns hotel.. or at least enjoy a drink at its charming bar.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Boston, Mass
Reviewed 26 May 2003

We made our plans more than a year in advance, eagerly awaiting the perfect New Orleans experience. A deposit for half was required up front and billed to our charge card as a check in date for 2002. This should have been my first indication of something not quite up to standards. The second portion of the three day stay was due in full BEFORE arrival. We later learned our charge card was double billed. Instead of being in one of the rooms pictured on the web site or the brochure, we were in the attic, a 3rd floor walk up...no bellman, no working elevator. I am physically disabled and this was quite a struggle. The air conditioner, a window unit, was not working. The room was musty, moldy, and filthy. The bed ruffle torn and hanging, walls cracked, and the bathroom smelled of urine. We were traveling with two other couples and tried to be pleasant and make the best of the situation. The front desk claimed to have no other rooms available, although all doors on the second floor were open and rooms appeared empty. We went out while they attempted to repair the air conditioner. When we returned after allowing ample time for cooling down time, we were locked out of the hotel, which means the guests were also locked in! We had to wait for the front desk clerk to come to let us in like small children. I awoke in the morning struggling to breathe and discovered an inch of dust and mold and mildew behind the beds. The shower head was broken and flooded the bathroom floor and soaked any clothing hanging in the room. All of this was again reported to the front desk and a clean up was requested or a room change. Upon return from an afternoon venture, the a/c was broken again, the room was still dirty and dusty and no other rooms were available. The font desk clerk was quite snippy. When we chose to leave because I was now too ill to stay any longer, I was told we would have to pay for the entire time because we had a contract. My doctor had already told me I needed to be in a hospital emergency room when sheSt. turned out to be the place to stay. Clean, convenient, great service, all of the amenities. And they didn't take my money until after I stayed there. We have been billed twice for three days for a room that only a one night stay gave me a pulmonary infection. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

9 Thank disper

Travellers are raving about these New Orleans hotels

Reviewed 26 September 2002

Just returned from four days/three nights in New Orleans; stayed at The Columns. Here's a list of comments:
1) Great bar! Host bartender "Mike" is a great guy and a wonderful bartender. The rest of the crew (Rico, "The Preacher", et al) were terrific too.
2) Hotel not ADA compliant (I'm guessing). Had to carry our luggage up the front steps (no ramp visible). No bell captain.
3) Room on third floor small (#20) but comfortable nonetheless. No TV, no problem.
4) Breakfast overpriced. No room service, no problem.
5) There are some beautiful rooms (check out #8 on the 2nd fl. if you can; it's where Brooke Shields reportedly stays). If you can, ask to look at rooms before deciding. The suites are nice.
6) Great history of the hotel itself. Check out the photos in the dining room.
Overall impression: Good hotel, not great. Should be brought up to more modern standards (ie: ramps for wheelchairs, rolling luggage, central air/heat, room service).